Put a RouterBoardOS RB260GS at each house and use a free ddns service. $35each and yo're done.
Or a Ubiquiti Edge Router Lite will work too, just more expensive.
I use the Ubiquiti ERL for IPSec into my house from the office, my phone, and my laptop. Love it.
All more work and more money than easy and free.
Easy is relative. $70 for the two is only $10 more than he is currently paying for one year. Starting with month 15, it is free!
Comparing to a bad decision is misleading. You have to throw money away today, and ignore better options, to them create the "savings" of spending money. That's a false decision matrix.
The real comparison is against something free. That's the baseline to beat. Otherwise, nothing is costly compared to any contrived more expensive decision.
Example: I want a laser light show for my house, I don't need it, I just want it. The free option is to not buy one. Buying one is normally $100. But I could find one that is $200 and then say that the $100 is "free" or even "saving me money." But this is false, it's still costing $100 no matter how many more expensive alternatives we find.
It's like the 'sale' problem. The shirt was on sale for 50% off, I saved 50%!! No, you still bought a shirt you didn't need, money was lost versus the free baseline.
The wife gets mad when I tell her you save 100% if you don't buy anything.
With a fresh installation of F26 worktation with lxqt, I found two issues:
1 - SELinux prevents the vncserver daemon to run. This is bug (on buzilla) #1412468. The solution is to run as root:
ausearch -c 'systemd' --raw | audit2allow -M my-systemd
semodule -i my-systemd.pp
After rebooting, you can run: (as user, for display #3 with SELinux enforcing)
sudo systemctl start [email protected]:3.service
2 - After fixing SELinux, you can connect with vncviewer but the screen is dark blue. I tested it on the same computer running vncserver with:
vncviewer :3 (easier to debug)
It executes ~/.vnc/xstartup, which executes /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
xinitrc executes /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients which, in the fresh installation, does not support lxqt. The solution appears to be to add lxqt support in that file. It requires two things:
a) create /etc/sysconfig/desktop as root. the file content is:
set the permissions , as root: chmod 644 /etc/sysconfig/desktop
b) modify /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients to add lxqt. Here is the content of the modified file:
Copyright (C) 1999 - 2004 Red Hat, Inc. All rights reserved. This
copyrighted material is made available to anyone wishing to use, modify,
copy, or redistribute it subject to the terms and conditions of the
GNU General Public License version 2.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/desktop ]; then
if [ "$DESKTOP" = "GNOME" ]; then
elif [ "$DESKTOP" = "MATE" ]; then
elif [ "$DESKTOP" = "KDE" ]; then
elif [ "$DESKTOP" = "LXDE" ]; then
elif [ "$DESKTOP" = "LXQT" ]; then # Added for LXQT
PREFERRED="$STARTLXQT" # Added for LXQT
if [ -n "$PREFERRED" ]; then
now if we can reach here, either no desktop file was present,
or the desktop requested is not installed.
if [ -n "$GSESSION" ]; then
# by default, we run GNOME.
elif [ -n "$STARTKDE" ]; then
# if GNOME isn't installed, try KDE.
elif [ -n "$STARTLXDE" ]; then
# if neither GNOME nor KDE then LXDE
elif [ -n "$STARTLXQT" ]; then # Added for LXQT
# if neither GNOME nor KDE nor LXDE then LXQT # Added for LXQT
exec "$STARTLXQT" # Added for LXQT
We should also support /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients.d scripts
if [ "$#" -eq 1 ] && [ -x "$XCLIENTS_D/Xclients.$1.sh" ]; then
exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSH_AGENT $XCLIENTS_D/Xclients.$1.sh"
these files are left sitting around by TheNextLevel.
rm -f $HOME/Xrootenv.0
Argh! Nothing good is installed. Fall back to twm
# gosh, neither fvwm95 nor fvwm2 is available;
# fall back to failsafe settings
[ -x /usr/bin/xsetroot ] && /usr/bin/xsetroot -solid '#222E45'
if [ -x /usr/bin/xclock ] ; then
/usr/bin/xclock -geometry 100x100-5+5 &
if [ -x /usr/bin/xterm ] ; then
/usr/bin/xterm -geometry 80x50-50+150 &
if [ -x /usr/bin/firefox -a -f /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html ]; then
/usr/bin/firefox /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html &
if [ -x /usr/bin/twm ] ; then
After these changes, I rebooted the system and vncviewer worked fine.