I am going to start an ISP

• While really interesting, every day the idea of starting a new ISP gets more and more difficult. A year ago what was feasible would not be today. Terrestrial lines keep being laid, new wireless standards keep rolling out, new satellite options keep being launched, and potential customers slowly find their own solutions, as well. It is a market that dries up very rapidly.

• @Reid-Cooper Tell that to rural America that is still on less than 1 Mbps speed DSL while cities like New York, Dallas, and LA are pushing towards 1 Gbps. Given, it is the peoples choice to live in rural America, but the phone companies also have no interest in upgrading their infrastructure because the ROI is crap.

• Vendor

@NerdyDad said in I am going to start an ISP:

@Reid-Cooper Tell that to rural America that is still on less than 1 Mbps speed DSL while cities like New York, Dallas, and LA are pushing towards 1 Gbps. Given, it is the peoples choice to live in rural America, but the phone companies also have no interest in upgrading their infrastructure because the ROI is crap.

People who can't live without 50Mbps do not live live in non-rural area's. In theory, a WISP might open up housing markets for people like me who work remotely but the other inconveniences of rural life (no 1-2 hour delivery for groceries/Amazon, poor restaurant choice, crazy bad schools, long distance to airports, poor job opportunities for my spouse) stack the deck that the Total Addressable market is going to grow much except for area's JUST outside the city that a telco will eventually expand as they get denser.

You have to hope for a large enough TAM to break even, but NOT too BIG of one that Comcast comes in and fucks up your monopoly. Welcome to being an ISP where your break-even can't get too good before someone ruins it. Also, your access to capital for refresh can dry up at any moment, regulations could 10x your operational costs.

• @StorageNinja said in I am going to start an ISP:

@NerdyDad said in I am going to start an ISP:

@Reid-Cooper Tell that to rural America that is still on less than 1 Mbps speed DSL while cities like New York, Dallas, and LA are pushing towards 1 Gbps. Given, it is the peoples choice to live in rural America, but the phone companies also have no interest in upgrading their infrastructure because the ROI is crap.

People who can't live without 50Mbps do not live live in non-rural area's. In theory, a WISP might open up housing markets for people like me who work remotely but the other inconveniences of rural life (no 1-2 hour delivery for groceries/Amazon, poor restaurant choice, crazy bad schools, long distance to airports, poor job opportunities for my spouse) stack the deck that the Total Addressable market is going to grow much except for area's JUST outside the city that a telco will eventually expand as they get denser.

You have to hope for a large enough TAM to break even, but NOT too BIG of one that Comcast comes in and fucks up your monopoly. Welcome to being an ISP where your break-even can't get too good before someone ruins it. Also, your access to capital for refresh can dry up at any moment, regulations could 10x your operational costs.

And people who need the speed, but also want to be rural, have often already moved to countries where doing so is even cheaper.

This is one spot where the US really struggles. So many countries offer great Internet, and dirt cheap rural living, that allows for working from home while being completely remote.