KVM Setup

• Ok so it seems there's a bit of confusion for how this is set up. On CentOS and Fedora workstations you don't need to do this because it's installed by default. For the servers it's just as easy.

On CentOS just choose software and then virtualization host:

0_1502146188845_software.png
    0_1502146200888_virt-host.png

On Fedora under software choose headless virtualization:

0_1502146216302_fedora.png

That's literally all the steps needed to have a working KVM hypervisor. If you want a GUI to manage with then install Virt-Manager on your workstation:

dnf install virt-manager

or

yum install virt-manager

Then connect to your host:

0_1502146361204_connection.png

• Service Provider

Or if you want to start from a minimal Fedora 25/26 install you can simply run these three commands.

# This will install Mandatory, Default and Optional Packages:
    su -c "dnf group install with-optional virtualization"
    # To start the service:
    su -c "systemctl start libvirtd"
    # To start the service on boot:
    su -c "systemctl enable libvirtd"

Source: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_virtualization

• Service Provider

There is not a simple single command line choice for CentOS 7 after initial installation, but it is not difficult to follow any of the numerous guides on there on the subject.

• @jaredbusch said in KVM Setup:

There is not a simple single command line choice for CentOS 7 after initial installation, but it is not difficult to follow any of the numerous guides on there on the subject.

there is :

yum groupinstall Virtualization "Virtualization Platform" "Virtualization Tools"

Right from minimal install.

• Service Provider

@emad-r said in KVM Setup:

@jaredbusch said in KVM Setup:

there is :

yum groupinstall Virtualization "Virtualization Platform" "Virtualization Tools"

My understanding of CentOS 7, as I have not used it for KVM, is that it subsequently needs some SELinux settings changed and then some networking setup.

• @jaredbusch said in KVM Setup:

there is :

My understanding of CentOS 7, as I have not used it for KVM, is that it subsequently needs some SELinux settings changed and then some networking setup.

Nope, nothing needed. you can use it with default selinux policy right from the start. And no changes to network either, however if you will use Ovirt, it does many changes to the network interfaces and it actually adds an interface maybe due to vsdm and not Ovirt persay,

However back to your question, you can fully use Centos 7 KVM with selinux without any changes, you just need virt-manager setup on another machine (Fedora for example) and connect to your centos 7 KVM and install Windows 10, which I did for the past month or so for training purposes.

• Service Provider

there is :

Nope, nothing needed. you can use it with default selinux policy right from the start. And no changes to network either, however if you will use Ovirt, it does many changes to the network interfaces and it actually adds an interface maybe due to vsdm and not Ovirt persay,

However back to your question, you can fully use Centos 7 KVM with selinux without any changes, you just need virt-manager setup on another machine (Fedora for example) and connect to your centos 7 KVM and install Windows 10, which I did for the past month or so for training purposes.

Yes, that is how I use KVM now, just on Fedora 26. When I looked at setting up my first KVM test system, I looked at CentOS 7 and Fedora 25 and the official instructions for both. The CentOS wiki was much more complicated than the Fedora wiki.

Also, as I stated in another thread, I pretty much gave up caring about the LTS nature of CentOS in today's world.

• So I installed Fedora 26 and selected headless virtualization.

When I connect to it from my Korora 25 workstation I get this warning:

0_1502237653417_Screenshot from 2017-08-08 20-08-57.png

virtualization was off in the BIOS....

Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.