EdgeRouter - openVPN restart

• Just ran into this issue and wonder if there isnt' a better way to restart the openVPN service than restarting the whole Router.

Did a google, and it shows to run

restart vpn

but ended up doing a ERL restart.

• Service Provider

@gjacobse Well OpenVPN restarted didn't it?

• Service Provider

@JaredBusch said in EdgeRouter - openVPN restart:

@gjacobse Well OpenVPN restarted didn't it?

ta da!

• yes,. restarting the whole ERL does restart the VPN service,. but it also takes the site down during the reboot.

looking for a way to restart the service WITHOUT dropping the whole site.

• Service Provider

First of all, restart vpn is for IPSEC services. Not OpenVPN services.

Second, you could not have restarted the router with that command because it does not have that capability.

Tab completion tells you this...

[email protected]:~$ restart
    dhcpv6           flow-accounting  igmp-proxy       task-scheduler   vpn              vrrp             webproxy
    Possible completions:
      dhcpv6        Restart a DHCPv6 service
      flow-accounting
                    Restart flow-accounting service
      igmp-proxy    Restart IGMP proxy
      task-scheduler
                    Restart task scheduler service
      vpn           Restart IPsec VPN
      vrrp          Restart VRRP
      webproxy      Restart webproxy service

Incomplete command
    [email protected]:~$ restart vpn
    Clearing IPsec process...
    [email protected]:~$

• Service Provider

Like almost all systems, tab completion is your friend.

With nothing on the command line

add            copy           generate       ping6          renew          show           traceroute
    clear          debug          initial-setup  reboot         reset          shutdown       traceroute6
    configure      delete         no             release        restart        telnet         update
    connect        disconnect     ping           rename         set            terminal

Well we tried restart first found it was not what we needed.. hmm look reset...

[email protected]:~$ reset
             openvpn
    [email protected]:~$ reset
    Possible completions:
      openvpn       Reset OpenVPN

[email protected]:~$ reset openvpn
    client     interface
    [email protected]:~$ reset openvpn interface
           vtun0
    Possible completions:
      vtun0         Reset OpenVPN process on interface

vtun0
    [email protected]:~$ reset openvpn interface vtun0
    This will reset and re-establish all tunnel connections on this interface.
    Are you sure you want to continue? (y/n) [y]y
    Tunnel connections for interface vtun0 have been reset.

• @JaredBusch said in EdgeRouter - openVPN restart:

Second, you could not have restarted the router with that command because it does not have that capability.

Command used to restart the router

shutdown -r now

• It's just a startup script under /etc/init.d. You should be able to just run

/etc/init.d/openvpn restart

• Service Provider

@stacksofplates said in EdgeRouter - openVPN restart:

It's just a startup script under /etc/init.d. You should be able to just run

Yes, but they make a command for it.

@stacksofplates said in EdgeRouter - openVPN restart:

It's just a startup script under /etc/init.d. You should be able to just run

Yes, but they make a command for it.

Ya on my phone and didn't see your post until after I posted that.

• Service Provider

@gjacobse said in EdgeRouter - openVPN restart:

shutdown -r now

gods the things wrong here..

1. You implied the restart vpn caused a reboot. 0_1490647145732_upload-d1f4cea8-5524-4958-aa6f-b629ad3306a8

2. There is a reboot command for that. Use it. why are you applying base OS commands when there is an entire set of commands layered on top to handle all the normal duties. Perhaps doing things you do not know in addition.

shutdown -r now

gods the things wrong here..

1. You implied the restart vpn caused a reboot. 0_1490647145732_upload-d1f4cea8-5524-4958-aa6f-b629ad3306a8

2. There is a reboot command for that. Use it. why are you applying base OS commands when there is an entire set of commands layered on top to handle all the normal duties. Perhaps doing things you do not know in addition.

Restart VPN and REBOOT are two wholly different things - I know that.

The command to restart the SERVICE wasn't found in the time I had to find it for a 14:00 EDT REBOOT. I wanted to do a restart of the service rather than a reboot as to not take the site down.

As the restart command wasn't found in the time I had, the shutdown -r now was used to reboot and thus restart the OpenVPN services.

Upon the reboot completion, the service was restarted normally and users were again able to sign in.

• Service Provider

0_1490647834741_upload-4837076d-4efd-4339-87f2-5e180ecf68b7
    @gjacobse you need to step the f*** back and read things a little more carefully. because your little marked up rant there is all kinds of wrong if you are trying to reply to anything I said.

• @gjacobse said in EdgeRouter - openVPN restart:

As the restart command wasn't found in the time I had, the shutdown -r now was used to reboot and thus restart the OpenVPN services.

alt text

So, the router actually rebooted instead of stopping? Because 'shutdown -r now' is a hard stop, not a reboot. I understand that you were most likely just trying to fix things, but that line especially doesn't make sense.

• @travisdh1 said in EdgeRouter - openVPN restart:

alt text

So, the router actually rebooted instead of stopping? Because 'shutdown -r now' is a hard stop, not a reboot. I understand that you were most likely just trying to fix things, but that line especially doesn't make sense.

Restart linux
    The shutdown command can be used to restart a system with the r option instead of the h option. Usage is same as before. Just replace the h option with r option.

# shutdown -r +5 "Server will restart in 5 minutes. Please save your work."

Shutdown linux
    To shutdown a machine call the shutdown command like this

# shutdown -h now
    The h option is for halt which means to stop. The second parameter is the time parameter. "now" means that shutdown the system right away.

Didn't need to shutdown (halt) the router, I'm not there to restart it. So rather than use -h, the -r was used.

As the service restart wasn't found in the time I had - the router was rebooted as a 'this is what I have now, and the service window is NOW'

I never said that the router rebooted itself. The router was rebooted as the only other option to getting the OpenVPN service to restart......

• @gjacobse said in EdgeRouter - openVPN restart:

@travisdh1 said in EdgeRouter - openVPN restart:

alt text

Restart linux
    The shutdown command can be used to restart a system with the r option instead of the h option. Usage is same as before. Just replace the h option with r option.

Shutdown linux

# shutdown -h now
    The h option is for halt which means to stop. The second parameter is the time parameter. "now" means that shutdown the system right away.

Didn't need to shutdown (halt) the router, I'm not there to restart it. So rather than use -h, the -r was used.

As the service restart wasn't found in the time I had - the router was rebooted as a 'this is what I have now, and the service window is NOW'

I never said that the router rebooted itself. The router was rebooted as the only other option to getting the OpenVPN service to restart......

Ah, I use the shutdown command so infrequently that I'm forgetting what the option switches for it are. That's a lot of typing for

reboot

• @travisdh1 said in EdgeRouter - openVPN restart:

@travisdh1 said in EdgeRouter - openVPN restart:

alt text

Restart linux

Shutdown linux

# shutdown -h now

Ah, I use the shutdown command so infrequently that I'm forgetting what the option switches for it are. That's a lot of typing for

reboot

Ha - with the limited experience in CLI, I went with what I knew would work.. I used that command in Windows and Linux - so is second nature to type. I'll forgo using the GUI in Win10 and type that ,..... Is it 'right' - meh,.. maybe not. but it works.

• Service Provider

maybe not. but it works.

How do you know? Have you looked into the reboot script to see what it actually does and contrast that with the shutdown -r now command?

It forces a hard restart of the system, but does it actually "work"?

• Wow, tough crowd on this thread.

• @Carnival-Boy said in EdgeRouter - openVPN restart:

Wow, tough crowd on this thread.

You new to ML? ;)

Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.