Installing Mattermost on CentOS 7

• Why would you choose not to use their Docker install? This is an honest question, not a criticism.

• @Kelly said:

Why would you choose not to use their Docker install? This is an honest question, not a criticism.

Don't have Docker set up currently.

• Why was postgres used? Nothing wrong with it of course, but not typically used on RHEL based stuff for the masses

• Hm. Interesting. I'd like to set this up on a test machine right now. Maybe I will tonight.

• @JaredBusch said:

Why was postgres used? Nothing wrong with it of course, but not typically used on RHEL based stuff for the masses

both my preferred, so I didn't fight it, and the recommended one from the Mattermost project. They support MySQL, of course, but they push PostgreSQL as their preferred so I went with that.

• @scottalanmiller said:

@JaredBusch said:

Why was postgres used? Nothing wrong with it of course, but not typically used on RHEL based stuff for the masses

both my preferred, so I didn't fight it, and the recommended one from the Mattermost project. They support MySQL, of course, but they push PostgreSQL as their preferred so I went with that.

Interesting that they chose it is all.

• @scottalanmiller said:

psql --host=127.0.0.1 --dbname=mattermost --username=mmuser --password

As a test:

psql --host=127.0.0.1 --dbname=mattermost --username=administrator --password

This is the user I created for these steps:

sudo -i -u postgres
    psql
    CREATE DATABASE mattermost;
    CREATE USER mmuser WITH PASSWORD 'noonewilleverguess';
    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON DATABASE mattermost to mmuser;
    \q
    exit

Error:

[[email protected] ~]# psql --host=127.0.0.1 --dbname=mattermost --username=administrator --password
    Password for user administrator:
    psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "administrator"

• @JaredBusch said:

@scottalanmiller said:

@JaredBusch said:

Interesting that they chose it is all.

Yes, widely supported but rarely the primary choice. It might be tied to Go for all that I know. Ruby, for example, as a culture leans to PostgreSQL not MySQL whereas PHP leans the other way. Don't know anything about the Go culture so just speculating.

• @wirestyle22 said:

@scottalanmiller said:

As a test:

sudo -i -u postgres
    psql
    \q
    exit

Error:

[[email protected] ~]# psql --host=127.0.0.1 --dbname=mattermost --username=administrator --password

Did you change the "peer" to "md5" in the config file?

• @scottalanmiller said:

@wirestyle22 said:

@scottalanmiller said:

As a test:

sudo -i -u postgres
    psql
    \q
    exit

Error:

Did you change the "peer" to "md5" in the config file?

Yes I did. I even went back, copy and pasted everything directly from the guide: mmuser noonewilleverguess etc and it still did the same thing.

Just to verify
    0_1460657433761_mattermost.jpg

• @scottalanmiller said:

@JaredBusch said:

Oddly the Docker container uses MySQL. I'm playing with it right now to learn both Mattermost and Docker.

• @Kelly said:

@scottalanmiller said:

@JaredBusch said:

Oddly the Docker container uses MySQL. I'm playing with it right now to learn both Mattermost and Docker.

That interesting. I need to play with Docker too.

• @wirestyle22 I have the same problem

• @scottalanmiller I have the same problem. Confused

• For those who were still having problems getting Mattermost running on CentOS 7, I was also having the same problems and couldn't get beyond the postgres install. I found another guide and with a few tweaks, I was able to get this running.

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/install-mattermost-with-postgresql-and-nginx-on-centos7/

The change that was required from this guide was in the "Download and Extract Mattermost"

Instead of...
    [[email protected] ~]# wget -q "https://github.com/mattermost/platform/releases/download/v2.0.0/mattermost.tar.gz" -O mattermost.tar.gz

Use this...
    wget https://releases.mattermost.com/3.3.0/mattermost-team-3.3.0-linux-amd64.tar.gz

Then in the next block, instead of...
    tar -xvzf mattermost.tar.gz

Use this...
    tar -xvzf mattermost-team-3.3.0-linux-amd64.tar.gz

After that, follow the guide to the letter and it will get you to this...
    0_1473265786807_upload-d89fe07b-7d71-4d39-8dd7-e00395f6aa84

@aaronxiang @wirestyle22 @scottalanmiller