Win10 Upgrade Icon on Domain Machines



  • If you thought Microsoft was getting ready to ease up on its massive Get Windows 10 upgrade campaign, think again.

    The company announced today that it plans to expand the program, pushing the aggressive GWX taskbar icon and pop-up upgrade notification reminders to some domain-joined PCs that had previously been exempt.

    ...domain-joined PCs running Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 8.1 Pro that are configured to receive updates directly from Windows Update will begin seeing the GWX taskbar icon shortly. Domain-joined PCs that get updates through another mechanism, such as Windows Server Update Services or System Center Configuration Manager, will continue to be off-limits.
    ...
    At the same time as today's announcement, Microsoft finally published updated instructions for opting out of the automatic upgrade and disabling the GWX icon. The new instructions, available in KB article 3080351,

    http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-expands-get-windows-10-program-to-domains-publishes-opt-out-instructions/

    GWX = Get Windows X (or 10)



  • WOW!

    I wonder why the need for this? To get users hounding their domain admins to upgrade them?

    I feel a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of IT admins everywhere cried out.


  • Service Provider

    @Dashrender said:

    WOW!

    I wonder why the need for this? To get users hounding their domain admins to upgrade them?

    I feel a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of IT admins everywhere cried out.

    Honestly, anyone who has not planned the migration by now needs to get hounded by the users though. There is almost no reason to avoid 10 in the vast majority of places.


  • Service Provider

    That said, I will still push out the registry changes at my clients because I do have a plan for deployment.

    All of my clients will be upgraded by the end of March unless something interferes.


  • Service Provider

    @Dashrender said:

    WOW!

    I wonder why the need for this?

    Because people haven't all upgraded yet. Only the slackers that are behind will get hounded. Those at all up to date won't see this. So it only exists where there is typically a need.



  • I haven't upgraded my company yet. Still testing software.


  • Service Provider

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @Dashrender said:

    WOW!

    I wonder why the need for this?

    Because people haven't all upgraded yet. Only the slackers that are behind will get hounded. Those at all up to date won't see this. So it only exists where there is typically a need.

    Well my clients are not upgraded yet, but I have test installs in every client already verifying software compatibility (because old software is so common in SMB). So far none have been unable to be worked around. No it is just a matter of scheduling resources.


  • Service Provider

    And reading the article, I see that this only affects non-WSUS systems.



  • How many companies have domain admins AND don't use WSUS/SCCM?

    We can't upgrade because we have client software that doesn't work in Windows 10. I didn't know we were in the vast minority of places. But I don't particularly see a massive rush to migrate. Most of my users don't want to migrate though, and even if they did, I'm pretty immune to their hounding by now, anyway :)



  • @Carnival-Boy said:

    How many companies have domain admins AND don't use WSUS/SCCM?

    We can't upgrade because we have client software that doesn't work in Windows 10. I didn't know we were in the vast minority of places. But I don't particularly see a massive rush to migrate. Most of my users don't want to migrate though, and even if they did, I'm pretty immune to their hounding by now, anyway :)

    The question is will it let the user's do the upgrade themselves? I would assume "NO" because of security... but...


  • Service Provider

    @Carnival-Boy said:

    How many companies have domain admins AND don't use WSUS/SCCM?

    A fair number in the SMB and climbing because of the move away from WSUS in small environments to peer to peer.


  • Service Provider

    @dafyre said:

    The question is will it let the user's do the upgrade themselves? I would assume "NO" because of security... but...

    That would cause quite the disaster.



  • @dafyre said:

    @Carnival-Boy said:

    How many companies have domain admins AND don't use WSUS/SCCM?

    We can't upgrade because we have client software that doesn't work in Windows 10. I didn't know we were in the vast minority of places. But I don't particularly see a massive rush to migrate. Most of my users don't want to migrate though, and even if they did, I'm pretty immune to their hounding by now, anyway :)

    The question is will it let the user's do the upgrade themselves? I would assume "NO" because of security... but...

    Yeah no because hopefully they don't have local admin rights!



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @Carnival-Boy said:

    How many companies have domain admins AND don't use WSUS/SCCM?

    A fair number in the SMB and climbing because of the move away from WSUS in small environments to peer to peer.

    I don't use WSUS in my environment. I spent more time managing it then I do from fixing bad updates from MS.


  • Service Provider

    @brianlittlejohn said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @Carnival-Boy said:

    How many companies have domain admins AND don't use WSUS/SCCM?

    A fair number in the SMB and climbing because of the move away from WSUS in small environments to peer to peer.

    I don't use WSUS in my environment. I spent more time managing it then I do from fixing bad updates from MS.

    Same here. We don't use it, it's neither bandwidth practical for us nor has it proven to be the timesaver that you would hope. We deploy all the patches and almost never have issues. WSUS takes time and resources.



  • @scottalanmiller The only time I think I would consider using it would be if I had a remote office that had a metered connection (satellite) or very low bandwidth available.


  • Service Provider

    @brianlittlejohn said:

    @scottalanmiller The only time I think I would consider using it would be if I had a remote office that had a metered connection (satellite) or very low bandwidth available.

    Even then I would only do it exclusively in a company that sends a lot more email internally rather than externally and that would probably be a big company and that would likely mean that we just need to fix the Internet situation.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @brianlittlejohn said:

    @scottalanmiller The only time I think I would consider using it would be if I had a remote office that had a metered connection (satellite) or very low bandwidth available.

    Even then I would only do it exclusively in a company that sends a lot more email internally rather than externally and that would probably be a big company and that would likely mean that we just need to fix the Internet situation.

    I was still talking about WSUS.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.