File and Directory Naming Conventions

• Some light discussion. 🙂

What's your preferred convention for file and directory names that need multiple words? I'm breaking my habit of spaces, and I'm curious to know what conventions you folks follow.

My $0.02: My eyes tend to follow camel case pretty well. If words are separated by character, I waffle back and forth between - and _. Even though _ requires an extra keystroke, it doesn't seem that costly.

• Service Provider

I don't think that I have any 🙂

I'd use an underbar, though. That makes the most sense to me.

• File and Folder naming really depends on what works for your business. I like using all lowercase with underscores, but others don't.

It all really matters on what works for the business.

• I use a combination of underscore, hyphens, uppercase and lowercase. And ever since I started juggling between Mac, Windows and Linux, I've been avoiding spaces.

Not sure if you noticed but most Linux and Windows iso downloads use a combination of hyphens, underscore, uppercase and lowercase.

• I'm an underscore guy all the way. And I tend to use all caps when creating folders. Easier for everyone to read.

• I'm kind of all across the board, lol.

(underscores) Sometimes I'll use them (when I know it'll make things easier in the long run), but other times I won't (because it won't matter for certain circumstances).

(capitals vs lowercase) Sometimes I'll name a folder with all caps, other times I won't. And I'll actually use a combination sometimes (because I like the way certain folders will catch my eye by having the first part of the folder named with all caps, and the second part with a combination (ex: "SERVERS_-_Logs_and_Events"))

(numbers and symbols) I have a separate hard drive that is dedicated to data, and I have a numbering system for the folders. Here's an example:
    !IN
    !OUT
    #TEMP
    000 _____________________________________________
    001 - SHUEY
    002 - TEAM
    003 - PROJECTS
    004 _____________________________________________
    005 - Apps
    006 - Scripts
    007 - Software & Driver Repository
    008 _____________________________________________
    (etc...)

• I just use spaces. It works better with searches.

I used to not use spaces, but it really doesn't matter anymore.

• @Tim_G said in File and Directory Naming Conventions:

I just use spaces. It works better with searches.

I used to not use spaces, but it really doesn't matter anymore.

When downloading files from sharepoint, it replaces spaces with "%20" that's another reason I avoid spaces.

• I use pretty much all lowercase and hyphens or underscores. I'm too lazy to escape spaces and a lot of times too lazy to hold shift to get the underscore.