Make an osTicket Database Backup

• osTicket uses MariaDB (or MySQL) as its database. Taking a database backup is quick and easy and totally standard to the MariaDB platform. But for those not familiar, this command will take care of you.

mysqldump ost_database_name -uyouruser -pyourpassword --single-transaction --quick --lock-tables=false > /tmp/osticket-backup-$(date +%F).sql

In this example you will need to add your database credentials, of course. And it only takes the backup to the /tmp directory. So either use that as a temporary scratch space before shipping the backup elsewhere, or change the target location.

• @scottalanmiller said in Make an osTicket Database Backup:

osTicket uses MariaDB (or MySQL) as its database. Taking a database backup is quick and easy and totally standard to the MariaDB platform. But for those not familiar, this command will take care of you.

mysqldump ost_database_name -uyouruser -pyourpassword --single-transaction --quick --lock-tables=false > /tmp/osticket-backup-$(date +%F).sql

In this example you will need to add your database credentials, of course. And it only takes the backup to the /tmp directory. So either use that as a temporary scratch space before shipping the backup elsewhere, or change the target location.

I have never used OST Ticket but is those single transaction and other database commands necessary rather than normal mysqldump ?

• @dbeato said in Make an osTicket Database Backup:

@scottalanmiller said in Make an osTicket Database Backup:

osTicket uses MariaDB (or MySQL) as its database. Taking a database backup is quick and easy and totally standard to the MariaDB platform. But for those not familiar, this command will take care of you.

I have never used OST Ticket but is those single transaction and other database commands necessary rather than normal mysqldump ?

Umm, that is a normal command. What is the problem here.

• @JaredBusch said in Make an osTicket Database Backup:

@dbeato said in Make an osTicket Database Backup:

I am terrible at explaining, but specifically, what I was trying to ask is what is the difference between running a mysqldump without any flags besides the username password and mysql host if neccessary. I am more talking about this part:

--single-transaction --quick --lock-tables=false

• @dbeato said in Make an osTicket Database Backup:

@JaredBusch said in Make an osTicket Database Backup:

@dbeato said in Make an osTicket Database Backup:

I am terrible at explaining, but specifically, what I was trying to ask is what is the difference between running a mysqldump without any flags besides the username password and mysql host if neccessary. I am more talking about this part:

--single-transaction --quick --lock-tables=false

The single transaction flag initiates a MySQL transaction which makes it more efficient because it does not lock the entire database.

• osTicket uses InnoDB, so this is the command for that. If we were using MyISAM, we'd not want this command.

• Total DB Admin noob here - so bare with me.

Does this include the username/password setup for this DB? or does that need to be maintained separately?

i.e. you have to rebuild from this backup - do you just create a brand new SQL user and grant them rights to this DB upon import, then use that new account to give access to the app?

In typing out my question I kinda assume the answer is the second bit - you just create a new user and assign them rights.

• @Dashrender said in Make an osTicket Database Backup:

Total DB Admin noob here - so bare with me.

Does this include the username/password setup for this DB? or does that need to be maintained separately?

i.e. you have to rebuild from this backup - do you just create a brand new SQL user and grant them rights to this DB upon import, then use that new account to give access to the app?

In typing out my question I kinda assume the answer is the second bit - you just create a new user and assign them rights.

Correct. The user and the database are separate things.