Hyper-V messed up. Lost Virtual Machine. :"(



  • This is totally and 100% user error. I did what I should not have done, delete the virtual machine file w/o making backup. Please don't ask why... 😞

    Right now All I have left is .vhdx and AVHDX files. I lost my snapshots and other xml files.What should I do? Can I restore a virtual machine with only VHDX and AVHDX files?

    Suck for this to happen on Friday.



  • Yes, you can simply build a new VM with the same specs and attache the existing VHDX.

    Should boot right up.



  • XML should just be metadata. Snapshots aren't necessary for anything. Having your actual disks should be all that you need. How big are the files? No corruption?



  • @JaredBusch So create a new virtual machine with different name and use the same vhdx file? I'll give it a shot.

    @scottalanmiller The files are 10gb vhdx and 7gb avhdx. Not sure about curruption. Have to test it out.



  • This post is deleted!


  • The avhdx is created after you take the snapshot. The vhdx is the original file. You May need to merge them for this to work. Use Hyper-V manager to inspect the disks so you know which is the parent image.

    Make copies of everything before you try to create a new VM!

    Danny



  • @thedalton said:

    The avhdx is created after you take the snapshot. The vhdx is the original file. You May need to merge them for this to work. Use Hyper-V manager to inspect the disks so you know which is the parent image.

    Make copies of everything before you try to create a new VM!

    Danny

    I just post something but then deleted the post just when Thedalton replied. Yeah.. it restore the original one, not the latest one. When I try the avhdx file it seem checkpoint is broken.

    After inspect the Avhdx, it prompt me to reconnect but failed due to ID mismatch. I just click to ignore ID mismatch... is that okay?
    0_1457132449075_upload-08584403-8218-4feb-a2b2-a1f46ba71cff



  • If you made backups of these two vhdx I would try merging the two into one. Test and verify that all your data is there.



  • @thedalton said:

    If you made backups of these two vhdx I would try merging the two into one. Test and verify that all your data is there.

    It is domain controller. I don't remember what I did to it last time. But so far so good.
    But somehow I cannot run it off Gen2. I have to create Gen1 to run it.



  • @LAH3385 said:

    But somehow I cannot run it off Gen2. I have to create Gen1 to run it.

    That is not really a big concern. There are no major differences in Gen1 vs Gen2 that will affect a basic VM.



  • Thank you all 😃 Back to normal now.



  • @LAH3385 said:

    Thank you all 😃 Back to normal now.

    ML: 1

    Delete key: 0



  • @JaredBusch said:

    @LAH3385 said:

    But somehow I cannot run it off Gen2. I have to create Gen1 to run it.

    That is not really a big concern. There are no major differences in Gen1 vs Gen2 that will affect a basic VM.

    Also, Gen2 only works for Win Server 2012 and Win10 VMs...



  • @Dashrender said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    @LAH3385 said:

    But somehow I cannot run it off Gen2. I have to create Gen1 to run it.

    That is not really a big concern. There are no major differences in Gen1 vs Gen2 that will affect a basic VM.

    Also, Gen2 only works for Win Server 2012 and Win10 VMs...

    False. All of my CentOS 7 VM's are Gen2



  • @JaredBusch said:

    @Dashrender said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    @LAH3385 said:

    But somehow I cannot run it off Gen2. I have to create Gen1 to run it.

    That is not really a big concern. There are no major differences in Gen1 vs Gen2 that will affect a basic VM.

    Also, Gen2 only works for Win Server 2012 and Win10 VMs...

    False. All of my CentOS 7 VM's are Gen2

    OK fine.. Specifically Windows VMs. We went through this with windows server when I was installing one a few weeks ago.

    I think basically if the system can't use UEFI, it can't be a Gen2 VM.



  • @Dashrender said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    @Dashrender said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    @LAH3385 said:

    But somehow I cannot run it off Gen2. I have to create Gen1 to run it.

    That is not really a big concern. There are no major differences in Gen1 vs Gen2 that will affect a basic VM.

    Also, Gen2 only works for Win Server 2012 and Win10 VMs...

    False. All of my CentOS 7 VM's are Gen2

    OK fine.. Specifically Windows VMs. We went through this with windows server when I was installing one a few weeks ago.

    I think basically if the system can't use UEFI, it can't be a Gen2 VM.

    Yes, that is the restriction I believe.


  • Banned

    Gen1 allows legacy hardware such as a NIC for PXE boot. I believe Gen1 is Bios Emulation and Gen2 is UEFI


Log in to reply