List Comparison Tool

• I have two very large lists of IPs and I would like to compare the differences between the list. I usually use Notepad ++ Compare for this type of thing, but I believe it only compares line to line.

I also tried using conditional format in excel, but I am not sure if the results are accurate.

• Service Provider

I've been out of the excel world for a while now, but this is something I would beat on with excel.

Back in 2007 I would likely have wrote a quick macro to do it for me.

• Service Provider

Notepad ++ would work if you get the sorted the same first.

I have made two files by sorting individually in excel first. Then comparing.

• Yep, excel sort and compare.

You could like compare the lists as individual files in linux.

• Service Provider

Use BASH, so a sort, a uniq and then a diff.

• It is accurate with compare in Excel. You just highlight the two columns you want to compare against each other, then go to: Conditional Formatting > Highlight Cells Rules > Duplicate Values.

It will highlight (your choice) either duplicate values, or unique values.

Then you can go down the list and shift select all the colored ones to copy to a new list.

• +1 for excel. I use that for all sorts of data manipulation.

• @IRJ said in List Comparison Tool:

I have two very large lists of IPs and I would like to compare the differences between the list. I usually use Notepad ++ Compare for this type of thing, but I believe it only compares line to line.

I also tried using conditional format in excel, but I am not sure if the results are accurate.

Just one command:
    diff <(sort list1 | uniq) <(sort list2 | uniq).

For 95% of tasks involving text manipulation (from the easiest like this to mid-complexity), the standard unix tools can do everything in a very quick and concise way.
    The other 4.95% (very complex, special stuff) can be handled by Python (but also ruby or perl).
    The last 0,05% is HPC/realtime/weird (C, Ada, erlang?).

But please, don't use a giant piece of bloatware just to compare strings 😭.

Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.