"You advertise your skills, therefore I won't hire you because you don't show loyalty." - whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?



  • http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/post/3394905

    The above link contains a very interesting quote that I thought I would share. The headline paraphrases a bit but I found this astonishing.

    So I thought I would pose the question here. Would you hire someone if they maintained a permanent personal website advertising their skills?



  • Possibly not, because I don't think you should have a website "advertising" your skills, I think you should have a website "demonstrating" your skills. I think there is a subtle, but crucial difference between advertising and demonstrating, if you see what I mean. I'd see blatant advertising as a bit tacky - your website should provide information and the quality of the site will speak for itself.

    Yes, I'm being a bit pedantic, but I hope you see what I mean.



  • I understand what you are saying and with this example I wholeheartedly agree. I see it though as somewhat of a fine line in that if you say "like my work call me" and "here's my work and what I've done and can do". That line advertising skill and soliciting business.



  • Well Johnson Data Management is not a company I would ever want to work with. That attitude is just wow.



  • I have a (somewhat neglected) website, and no one's given me any crap about it yet. Then again, I'm more of a project-based worker. People hire me for a project, I complete it, cross-train local staff, then move on. Sometimes, as with NTG, I'll come in longer-term and chain-run projects. This would be a bit different for a normal employee. If someone has a blog or a website discussing some projects (without giving out any company info), it shouldn't be an issue. If someone has a website with their resume posted publicly, I'd find it a bit awkward.



  • Nearly everyone posts their CV on LinkedIn which I find slightly weird when dealing with colleagues, suppliers and customers. I'll have a business meeting with someone I haven't met before and we've both read each others CV on LinkedIn before the meeting. The more detailed their LinkedIn profile, the keener they are to get another job. Slightly awkward.



  • @Carnival-Boy said:

    Nearly everyone posts their CV on LinkedIn which I find slightly weird when dealing with colleagues, suppliers and customers. I'll have a business meeting with someone I haven't met before and we've both read each others CV on LinkedIn before the meeting. The more detailed their LinkedIn profile, the keener they are to get another job. Slightly awkward.

    With LinkedIn, once you have an account, it's a matter of poking it with a stick once in a while. A few minutes every couple of months is enough to keep it updated and "detailed".



  • @Carnival-Boy said:

    Possibly not, because I don't think you should have a website "advertising" your skills, I think you should have a website "demonstrating" your skills. I think there is a subtle, but crucial difference between advertising and demonstrating, if you see what I mean. I'd see blatant advertising as a bit tacky - your website should provide information and the quality of the site will speak for itself.

    This might be true for web designers or marketers but web site quality doesn't demonstrate IT skills. The best Cisco Admin in the world might not know good graphical design, web server administration or how to market himself. Don't judge skill X by skill Y.



  • @Carnival-Boy said:

    Nearly everyone posts their CV on LinkedIn which I find slightly weird when dealing with colleagues, suppliers and customers. I'll have a business meeting with someone I haven't met before and we've both read each others CV on LinkedIn before the meeting. The more detailed their LinkedIn profile, the keener they are to get another job. Slightly awkward.

    I don't have a CV there and find it bizarre that people use it that way. That's not how LinkedIn promoted themselves at all.



  • I'm posting on that thread now. Http://re.vu is pretty neat. Way better than SW profiles!!



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    This might be true for web designers or marketers but web site quality doesn't demonstrate IT skills. The best Cisco Admin in the world might not know good graphical design, web server administration or how to market himself. Don't judge skill X by skill Y.

    I don't mean aesthetically, I'm talking about quality content. It can use Comic Sans and use the blink tag for all I care (not really).



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    I'm posting on that thread now. Http://re.vu is pretty neat. Way better than SW profiles!!

    Just checked it out, does look interesting.



  • That thread got busy 🙂

    That guy is definitely an idiot. No one will want to work for him, it would be embarrassing.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    That thread got busy 🙂

    That guy is definitely an idiot. No one will want to work for him, it would be embarrassing.

    I've never seen you use the word "Shitty" almost back to back lol. It's an interesting and lively topic indeed.



  • That guy is dedicated to running a bad company. He's passionate about it. Argh.



  • @scottalanmiller I went and got my re.vu site. Will have to work on it this weekend.



  • @technobabble said:

    @scottalanmiller I went and got my re.vu site. Will have to work on it this weekend.

    Nice.


Log in to reply