So I finally started this game....



  • called WOW.

    Believe it or not, I have never played it before this week. I have alot to learn quickly.



  • @IRJ from my understand get ready to have no other life but that. I dont play myself but I know people who do.



  • @david.wiese said:

    @IRJ from my understand get ready to have no other life but that. I dont play myself but I know people who do.

    I have a baby on the way. I figured it was kind of my last chance to play it for the next couple years.



  • congrats for that one





  • @Nic blocked by my firewall



  • They've made it fairly easy for new players, so I think you'll have fun.



  • On a side note, my girlfriend is given me all this crap for playing WOW. I couldnt figure out why she hated it so much and was making a huge deal about it. Come to find out, she used to play all the time lol.



  • @IRJ said:

    On a side note, my girlfriend is given me all this crap for playing WOW. I couldnt figure out why she hated it so much and was making a huge deal about it. Come to find out, she used to play all the time lol.

    In that case, the two of you should come and make characters in Final Fantasy XIV: A Real Reborn! You could be an MMO couple.


  • Service Provider

    Wow. That is a classic. I didn't realize that it was still around. What made you decide to play that now?

    I've never played, believe it or not.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    Wow. That is a classic. I didn't realize that it was still around. What made you decide to play that now?

    I've never played, believe it or not.

    I guess it was just my inner geek. I donwloaded the free trial and next thing I knew, I bought the game.



  • @alexntg said:

    @IRJ said:

    On a side note, my girlfriend is given me all this crap for playing WOW. I couldnt figure out why she hated it so much and was making a huge deal about it. Come to find out, she used to play all the time lol.

    In that case, the two of you should come and make characters in Final Fantasy XIV: A Real Reborn! You could be an MMO couple.

    I would be down for it, but I think she is scarred from MMORPGs lol



  • @IRJ said:

    called WOW.

    Believe it or not, I have never played it before this week. I have alot to learn quickly.

    Something tells me that your weekend is going to be quickly consumed.


  • Service Provider

    It is a good game, but not to my liking. I had subs for a couple months a few different times over the years.

    The problem with all the MMORPG games on the market today is that they dropped the second M. They are no longer multiplayer games. They are a bunch of single players running around in the same world.


  • Service Provider

    @JaredBusch said:

    It is a good game, but not to my liking. I had subs for a couple months a few different times over the years.

    The problem with all the MMORPG games on the market today is that they dropped the second M. They are no longer multiplayer games. They are a bunch of single players running around in the same world.

    Oh interesting, I had not realized that they made that change. I've avoided that market for financial and "time suck" reasons. I find it interesting just know that it would be a bad idea for me so I avoid it. I'm interested in how things have changed since the days when I tried some out long, long ago.


  • Service Provider

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    It is a good game, but not to my liking. I had subs for a couple months a few different times over the years.

    The problem with all the MMORPG games on the market today is that they dropped the second M. They are no longer multiplayer games. They are a bunch of single players running around in the same world.

    Oh interesting, I had not realized that they made that change. I've avoided that market for financial and "time suck" reasons. I find it interesting just know that it would be a bad idea for me so I avoid it. I'm interested in how things have changed since the days when I tried some out long, long ago.

    I understand the evolution of what happened. Players grew up, had commitments, etc. so the games changed to cater to those people. The problem is that it changed too far. The next big success will be the company that finds the right way to mix it all up. I mean it happened to me. I got married and had two kids. I have less time to spend gaming in any fashion.

    The challenge is what makes these fun to a lot of people. Unfortunately a lot of people no longer have the time to be challenged. Yes there is a lot to be said for a casual game like WoW and EQ have become, or they would not still draw in the players. But this is not my style of play.


  • Service Provider

    We need to find some people who are really interested in old school game design and work on NTG's hosted MUD and get ML people to play there.



  • My 46 year old wife and child having friend is addicted to a newish game called Hawkin a mech based game.

    I haven't played computer games since C&C Generals - I guess I grew out of them.



  • I've actually never played a MUD... I'd be interested in seeing how it works.


  • Service Provider

    @Dashrender said:

    I've actually never played a MUD... I'd be interested in seeing how it works.

    They are generally pretty boring when you play alone but if you've got a few score of your friends on it it can be pretty amazing and if you've got a few hundred players and some really keen gods it really gets amazing. It's a steep learning curve as they are pure text but it allows for some awesome role playing that other platforms really cannot do.



  • @JaredBusch said:

    The problem with all the MMORPG games on the market today is that they dropped the second M. They are no longer multiplayer games. They are a bunch of single players running around in the same world.

    That's one of the reasons that I dropped ESO. However, for many games in endgame content, it's nearly exclusively multiplayer. The leveling process may or may not be, depending on the game.


  • Service Provider

    @alexntg said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    The problem with all the MMORPG games on the market today is that they dropped the second M. They are no longer multiplayer games. They are a bunch of single players running around in the same world.

    That's one of the reasons that I dropped ESO. However, for many games in endgame content, it's nearly exclusively multiplayer. The leveling process may or may not be, depending on the game.

    Correct, that the endgame is multiplayer, but the entire game should be.

    This is one of the things I liked about the original design of EverQuest 2. Like other games it is changed horribly from what it was. There was solo content and you could level yourself, just slowly. But most content was designed around a group. Additionally the entire crafting system was designed for a solo player, but still required interaction with others (or creation of a lot of alts).



  • @Reid-Cooper said:

    @IRJ said:

    called WOW.

    Believe it or not, I have never played it before this week. I have alot to learn quickly.

    Something tells me that your weekend is going to be quickly consumed.

    Nah, I only spent about 2 hours playing this weekend. I had a bunch of stuff to do around the house and a sick pregnant gf



  • @JaredBusch said:

    @alexntg said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    The problem with all the MMORPG games on the market today is that they dropped the second M. They are no longer multiplayer games. They are a bunch of single players running around in the same world.

    That's one of the reasons that I dropped ESO. However, for many games in endgame content, it's nearly exclusively multiplayer. The leveling process may or may not be, depending on the game.

    Correct, that the endgame is multiplayer, but the entire game should be.

    This is one of the things I liked about the original design of EverQuest 2. Like other games it is changed horribly from what it was. There was solo content and you could level yourself, just slowly. But most content was designed around a group. Additionally the entire crafting system was designed for a solo player, but still required interaction with others (or creation of a lot of alts).

    You might like that aspect of FFXIV, then. throughout the game, there's plenty of places where you need to interact with others. In the crafting system, everyone crafts items other crafters need.


  • Service Provider

    @alexntg said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    @alexntg said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    The problem with all the MMORPG games on the market today is that they dropped the second M. They are no longer multiplayer games. They are a bunch of single players running around in the same world.

    That's one of the reasons that I dropped ESO. However, for many games in endgame content, it's nearly exclusively multiplayer. The leveling process may or may not be, depending on the game.

    Correct, that the endgame is multiplayer, but the entire game should be.

    This is one of the things I liked about the original design of EverQuest 2. Like other games it is changed horribly from what it was. There was solo content and you could level yourself, just slowly. But most content was designed around a group. Additionally the entire crafting system was designed for a solo player, but still required interaction with others (or creation of a lot of alts).

    You might like that aspect of FFXIV, then. throughout the game, there's plenty of places where you need to interact with others. In the crafting system, everyone crafts items other crafters need.

    That could be fun. Makes time commitments bigger, though.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @alexntg said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    @alexntg said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    The problem with all the MMORPG games on the market today is that they dropped the second M. They are no longer multiplayer games. They are a bunch of single players running around in the same world.

    That's one of the reasons that I dropped ESO. However, for many games in endgame content, it's nearly exclusively multiplayer. The leveling process may or may not be, depending on the game.

    Correct, that the endgame is multiplayer, but the entire game should be.

    This is one of the things I liked about the original design of EverQuest 2. Like other games it is changed horribly from what it was. There was solo content and you could level yourself, just slowly. But most content was designed around a group. Additionally the entire crafting system was designed for a solo player, but still required interaction with others (or creation of a lot of alts).

    You might like that aspect of FFXIV, then. throughout the game, there's plenty of places where you need to interact with others. In the crafting system, everyone crafts items other crafters need.

    That could be fun. Makes time commitments bigger, though.

    Not at all. There isn't the addiction factor there. You can put it down whenever.


  • Service Provider

    @alexntg said:

    You might like that aspect of FFXIV, then. throughout the game, there's plenty of places where you need to interact with others. In the crafting system, everyone crafts items other crafters need.

    That is exactly how EQ2 was at launch. It was a really good system IMO. Then again I had 3 max level crafters in my two years playing and only one max level adventure class.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.