Mobile android use = disappointing



  • I know Scott has said he loves using MangoLassi on his iPhone, but I have to say it's extremely frustrating to use it on Android. I have a stock ATT Galaxy S4. I primarily use the default browser, but since I had the Chrome browser installed I also tried using it this weekend.

    During my several hour car ride (while I got a short break from being the driver) I decided to try to catch up on ML. The experience was the same as it has been from the beginning.
    I can get logged in and to the home page no problem. I live out of the inbox which is how I know about new or updated threads. From where ever I start I press the three line box in the upper right corner which shows me a menu including the inbox. I press on the inbox and more often than not I see the list of all of the posts. The next part is where my trouble begins. On the mobile version I'm only given the topic name (not the last person who posted like the desktop version). I press the topic and am presented with a blank screen only showing the ML banner, but no posts. If I wait 3-5 mins, I'd say 20% of the time it will finally load. The rest of the time I have to refresh the browser to make it appear. Once I do make it inside the post, assuming it was a thread I've been in before, I see the blue text saying 'press here to go to the last place you were in this thread' or something to that effect. So I do, again the screen blanks, but this time it will NEVER load the page. Even refreshing the browser just brings me back to the first post in the thread. For threads like Scott's Random post thread, I can't read it from my phone at all. If I choose to ignore the 'press here to go to end' and manually scroll to the bottom of the thread, I'm often left at the bottom of what some might call page 1 (but there are no pages, so...I don't know what to call it) with the sync arrows circling, and they rarely ever load more of the thread.

    I get the exact same responses when using Chrome.

    Thought someone should know.



  • That used to work. The latest update broke the "last post on mobile" functionality. It's something with the mobile browser detection that does it 😞

    I'm hoping that they fix that soon.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    That used to work. The latest update broke the "last post on mobile" functionality. It's something with the mobile browser detection that does it 😞

    I'm hoping that they fix that soon.

    I can deal with that issue, the fact that pages won't load past the 'first' page or at all in more cases than not just make it unusable from my mobile devices.



  • That's odd. I'll have tong check out my Android to see what it does.



  • I just tried with my Sprint Galaxy S3 (wi-fi) pages came in fast, but there was no box "Click here to return to your last position or close to discard"



  • I am currently posting from a Galaxy S4. And have no issues at all from that.



  • @Addie said:

    I am currently posting from a Galaxy S4. And have no issues at all from that.

    Do you get the mobile interface or the regular one?



  • I have had my team test today from an T-mobile Galaxy S4, Verizon and Tmobile Windows 8 phone and the IPhone/Ipad. We are not able to reproduce the issue you are having @Dashrender We have also test via 4g/3g and Wifi on all of the devices to see if that made a difference.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @Addie said:

    I am currently posting from a Galaxy S4. And have no issues at all from that.

    Do you get the mobile interface or the regular one?

    I am getting the mobile interface.



  • I am also on the mobile interface same as @Minion-Queen



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @Addie said:

    I am currently posting from a Galaxy S4. And have no issues at all from that.

    Do you get the mobile interface or the regular one?

    Mobile interface on both browsers.



  • Those that are on android can you please let us know your phone and provider so we can trace down this issue?



  • Galaxy S4 with ATT

    I also have Webroot installed. Considering the other odd issues I've had, I've been considering doing a hard reset, but migrating my Google Authenticator is such a pain!



  • When posting from the windows phone (Nokia 925 T-Mobile) I am able to go to the full site not the mobile version. There are no issues posting etc. from here.



  • I am currently posting from an android phone. doesn't seem to be all too bad. Navgating for me seems to be prett straightforward. I am in the mobile version of the site. Takes some getting used to, but overall not too bad.



  • I'm currently posting from a Windows phone. Everything works very well and looks very nice, just for the love of everything good in the world, don't hold the phone in Landscape mode. It breaks everything.



  • @Mike-Ralston said:

    I'm currently posting from a Windows phone. It breaks everything.

    FTFY



  • Posting from Firefox on Android is pretty good. No issues here.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    FTFY

    If you're using the acronym "Fixed That For You", it's still broken in landscape mode.



  • @technobabble said:

    I just tried with my Sprint Galaxy S3 (wi-fi) pages came in fast, but there was no box "Click here to return to your last position or close to discard"

    That rarely ever shows up for me on my desktop.



  • @Mike-Ralston said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    FTFY

    If you're using the acronym "Fixed That For You", it's still broken in landscape mode.

    It's a reference to the post.



  • @alexntg said:

    @technobabble said:

    I just tried with my Sprint Galaxy S3 (wi-fi) pages came in fast, but there was no box "Click here to return to your last position or close to discard"

    That rarely ever shows up for me on my desktop.

    Really? Weird, it has worked on desktop Chrome almost all the time. I do like it, especially old threads that are really long.



  • @technobabble said:

    @alexntg said:

    @technobabble said:

    I just tried with my Sprint Galaxy S3 (wi-fi) pages came in fast, but there was no box "Click here to return to your last position or close to discard"

    That rarely ever shows up for me on my desktop.

    Really? Weird, it has worked on desktop Chrome almost all the time. I do like it, especially old threads that are really long.

    There are two different ones. One that you click when selecting the thread that takes you to the bottom. The other, when you don't select that, is supposed to pop up to offer to take you to your last position.



  • I see last position on desktop Chrome browser, not while using stock browser on Android.



  • @technobabble said:

    I see last position on desktop Chrome browser, not while using stock browser on Android.

    The mobile detection disables it. It didn't used to. Only after the update.



  • I usually use my tablet in desktop mode anyway, so I would have never known!



  • I was using Firefox 28 on Server 2008R2, but my browser just updated a moment ago to 29. Let's see if that helps.



  • I hear 29 is pretty nice?



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    I hear 29 is pretty nice?

    didn't it just come out? are you hearing things from the future? 🙂



  • It's been out long enough for people to have been discussing it. It doesn't take very long.


Log in to reply