Cloudpaging?



  • http://thevarguy.com/open-source-application-software-companies/numecent-promises-new-cloud-and-virtualization-features-l

    Sounds like potentially an interesting idea or possibly smoke and mirrors. Has anyone looked into this technology and, if so, what is it actually?



  • Isn't this basically what every website is doing? Placing code on the "cloud" to be run on the local machine?



  • That's where I could not figure out what they are trying to sell. Every client / server interaction meets the stated qualification. So what is unique here is missing from the description.



  • It allows you to deploy and run windows applications using the local machine without having to install them.

    Its cool technology.


  • Service Provider

    @KrisSmith said:

    It allows you to deploy and run windows applications using the local machine without having to install them.

    Its cool technology.

    Have you tried it or tested the platform? The article is not very informative, it's hard to tell from it what the disruptive factor is.



  • @KrisSmith said:

    It allows you to deploy and run windows applications using the local machine without having to install them.

    Its cool technology.

    It is essentially similar tto Microsoft App-V. They probably do things differently, but it's the same concept.



  • @scottalanmiller On Windows? Yes, used it for 6 years.

    On Linux, no. They are working on that.



  • @dafyre said:

    @KrisSmith said:

    It allows you to deploy and run windows applications using the local machine without having to install them.

    Its cool technology.

    It is essentially similar tto Microsoft App-V. They probably do things differently, but it's the same concept.

    In that it delivers Applications without install, Yes. But it delivers Apps that APP-v cant.


  • Service Provider

    @KrisSmith said:

    @dafyre said:

    @KrisSmith said:

    It allows you to deploy and run windows applications using the local machine without having to install them.

    Its cool technology.

    It is essentially similar tto Microsoft App-V. They probably do things differently, but it's the same concept.

    In that it delivers Applications without install, Yes. But it delivers Apps that APP-v cant.

    I'm not an expert on App-V. What kinds of apps is App-V unable to do.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    I'm not an expert on App-V. What kinds of apps is App-V unable to do.

    App-v has issues with drivers , including PDF printer drivers so things like Acrobat Pro, Foxit etc.
    App-v's not recommended for Plugins and Office toolbars,
    If you want applications to interact (acrobat reader in a webbrowser) you have to pre-defined connection groups to say what interacts with what.

    There's a page I the App-v Sequencing guide on limitations and although it seems like a short list, when we started trying to deploy some of the bigger more complex apps we had to start compromising on how they worked or changing the way user interacted with Applications.
    We had been using app-v for a few years when we decided to look for an alternative as App-v was not going to deliver what we needed,

    I probably should point out that after being a customer of Numecent for 6 years I now work for them.


  • Service Provider

    Welcome to the community 🙂



  • @KrisSmith said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I'm not an expert on App-V. What kinds of apps is App-V unable to do.

    App-v has issues with drivers , including PDF printer drivers so things like Acrobat Pro, Foxit etc.
    App-v's not recommended for Plugins and Office toolbars,
    If you want applications to interact (acrobat reader in a webbrowser) you have to pre-defined connection groups to say what interacts with what.

    There's a page I the App-v Sequencing guide on limitations and although it seems like a short list, when we started trying to deploy some of the bigger more complex apps we had to start compromising on how they worked or changing the way user interacted with Applications.
    We had been using app-v for a few years when we decided to look for an alternative as App-v was not going to deliver what we needed,

    What @KrisSmith has said is dead on accurate. In my testing some things worked well (Office 2013), but many things were actually too slow to use for some reason or another.

    I probably should point out that after being a customer of Numecent for 6 years I now work for them.

    cough shameless plug cough



  • @dafyre said:

    @KrisSmith said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I'm not an expert on App-V. What kinds of apps is App-V unable to do.

    App-v has issues with drivers , including PDF printer drivers so things like Acrobat Pro, Foxit etc.
    App-v's not recommended for Plugins and Office toolbars,
    If you want applications to interact (acrobat reader in a webbrowser) you have to pre-defined connection groups to say what interacts with what.

    There's a page I the App-v Sequencing guide on limitations and although it seems like a short list, when we started trying to deploy some of the bigger more complex apps we had to start compromising on how they worked or changing the way user interacted with Applications.
    We had been using app-v for a few years when we decided to look for an alternative as App-v was not going to deliver what we needed,

    What @KrisSmith has said is dead on accurate. In my testing some things worked well (Office 2013), but many things were actually too slow to use for some reason or another.

    I probably should point out that after being a customer of Numecent for 6 years I now work for them.

    cough shameless plug cough

    was it slow because it had to be downloaded each and every time? Yeah with something like Office I'm not surprised, Office is huge!.



  • @Dashrender said:

    @dafyre said:

    @KrisSmith said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I'm not an expert on App-V. What kinds of apps is App-V unable to do.

    App-v has issues with drivers , including PDF printer drivers so things like Acrobat Pro, Foxit etc.
    App-v's not recommended for Plugins and Office toolbars,
    If you want applications to interact (acrobat reader in a webbrowser) you have to pre-defined connection groups to say what interacts with what.

    There's a page I the App-v Sequencing guide on limitations and although it seems like a short list, when we started trying to deploy some of the bigger more complex apps we had to start compromising on how they worked or changing the way user interacted with Applications.
    We had been using app-v for a few years when we decided to look for an alternative as App-v was not going to deliver what we needed,

    What @KrisSmith has said is dead on accurate. In my testing some things worked well (Office 2013), but many things were actually too slow to use for some reason or another.

    I probably should point out that after being a customer of Numecent for 6 years I now work for them.

    cough shameless plug cough

    was it slow because it had to be downloaded each and every time? Yeah with something like Office I'm not surprised, Office is huge!.

    Shouldn't be downloading every time, App-v has a local Cache. There are just some things It cant do (Office is one of the ones its good at)

    We actually pull in the data as its needed so you can get an application up and running with <10% of the install footprint (depending on the App)



  • I'm sure there are uses, but I don't know what they are - when/why would you want this or App-V?



  • @Dashrender said:

    @dafyre said:

    @KrisSmith said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I'm not an expert on App-V. What kinds of apps is App-V unable to do.

    App-v has issues with drivers , including PDF printer drivers so things like Acrobat Pro, Foxit etc.
    App-v's not recommended for Plugins and Office toolbars,
    If you want applications to interact (acrobat reader in a webbrowser) you have to pre-defined connection groups to say what interacts with what.

    There's a page I the App-v Sequencing guide on limitations and although it seems like a short list, when we started trying to deploy some of the bigger more complex apps we had to start compromising on how they worked or changing the way user interacted with Applications.
    We had been using app-v for a few years when we decided to look for an alternative as App-v was not going to deliver what we needed,

    What @KrisSmith has said is dead on accurate. In my testing some things worked well (Office 2013), but many things were actually too slow to use for some reason or another.

    I probably should point out that after being a customer of Numecent for 6 years I now work for them.

    cough shameless plug cough

    was it slow because it had to be downloaded each and every time? Yeah with something like Office I'm not surprised, Office is huge!.

    No, Office was one of the packages that worked fine. There were others though, that had unexplained slowness. We've been off it for so long, I don't remember which ones... I know there was a Java app that generally would tart in 3 - 5 seconds, but under App-V, it could take a minute+!


  • Service Provider

    I love it when my Java tarts.

    java cream tart



  • @Dashrender You could allow folks to run multiple versions of say... Office... Or older versions of a Web Browser (IE 7 or 8), for instance...

    Or you could use it to deploy applications. Upgrade from Office 2013 to 2016 the next time your user starts Word... No more mass-scale network consuming rollouts, when, instead the users would get the updates the next time they start the app.



  • @dafyre said:

    I know there was a Java app that generally would tart in 3 - 5 seconds, but under App-V, it could take a minute+!

    Was that every time for App-V or only the first time during the download of the app?



  • @Dashrender said:

    @dafyre said:

    I know there was a Java app that generally would tart in 3 - 5 seconds, but under App-V, it could take a minute+!

    Was that every time for App-V or only the first time during the download of the app?

    Every time. And I did check, and the App was cached appropriately and everything. Just one of those oddball apps that didn't play nicely.



  • @Dashrender said:

    I'm sure there are uses, but I don't know what they are - when/why would you want this or App-V?

    I have a raft of uses,

    Dynamic application delivery, We had 300 applications 2000 workstations and 18000 users.
    You cant put all the software on all the workstations but the uses want their software wherever they are.

    Licence management, You can enforce concurrent Licences, as well as named user licences by only allowing users to access the software they are entitled to

    Application conflicts, You have software that does not normally want to install on the same machine running togeter

    Application deployment without Admin rights. Upload the package to a portal and its available to any workstation instantly (Adobe CC suite running in 30 sec)

    Save on disk space. As Jukebox only pulls down the data that is needed to run an application it has a much smaller install footprint than traditional installs.

    OK that may not be relevant to you,
    What about Games,
    With Steam you have to download that game (20Gb or so?) before you can try it only to discover you dont rely like it any how.
    With Jukebox you would start the game, it would pull what it needs to get you going and bring down the rest as ans when you need it. If you never need it.

    See, now you have got me Plugging the system...


  • Service Provider

    So I should be using this to manage me 1200 Steam games? That would actually be quite handy.



  • @KrisSmith said:

    See, now you have got me Plugging the system...

    This thread is about that product.. plug away!



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    So I should be using this to manage me 1200 Steam games? That would actually be quite handy.

    Unfortunately I don't think we can manage your steam games as it is.
    It would be an alternative to the Steam service.



  • @KrisSmith How does JukeBox handle app caching? Does it pull down everything live every time, or does it just cache locally what it needs, and then pull down what is missing when it needs it?



  • @dafyre said:

    @KrisSmith How does JukeBox handle app caching? Does it pull down everything live every time, or does it just cache locally what it needs, and then pull down what is missing when it needs it?

    additionally, does it work in offline mode?



  • @Dashrender said:

    @dafyre said:

    @KrisSmith How does JukeBox handle app caching? Does it pull down everything live every time, or does it just cache locally what it needs, and then pull down what is missing when it needs it?

    additionally, does it work in offline mode?

    Applications can be made avalible offline yes. With an expiry if you want to that the App is removed (or made inactive) after a time.



  • @dafyre said:

    @KrisSmith How does JukeBox handle app caching? Does it pull down everything live every time, or does it just cache locally what it needs, and then pull down what is missing when it needs it?

    It caches locally so it only needs to pull new data. The cache can be share as well so the second user to launch an application on a workstation will not need to pull data that is already in the cached.



  • @KrisSmith said:

    @dafyre said:

    @KrisSmith How does JukeBox handle app caching? Does it pull down everything live every time, or does it just cache locally what it needs, and then pull down what is missing when it needs it?

    It caches locally so it only needs to pull new data. The cache can be share as well so the second user to launch an application on a workstation will not need to pull data that is already in the cached.

    That is something that I would expect. It wouldn't make sense to have 10 caches for 10 users on the same workstation. 🙂



  • @dafyre said:

    @KrisSmith said:

    @dafyre said:

    @KrisSmith How does JukeBox handle app caching? Does it pull down everything live every time, or does it just cache locally what it needs, and then pull down what is missing when it needs it?

    It caches locally so it only needs to pull new data. The cache can be share as well so the second user to launch an application on a workstation will not need to pull data that is already in the cached.

    That is something that I would expect. It wouldn't make sense to have 10 caches for 10 users on the same workstation. 🙂

    True, but many people cant see past the "One user One Workstation" Model


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.