Sip Trunk Provider



  • So we are most likely going to be setting up a pbx here. Who do you recommend for sip trunk providers? We currently have 3 lines through Comcast so we would like to keep that. Also, is it better to use a provider with just one DID and 3 channels or use 3 lines like we have now?



  • voip.ms is very good.



  • We have been using VoicePulse for about a decade and have had good luck with them.



  • Thanks!



  • Vitelity is also really good.



  • @johnhooks said:

    Also, is it better to use a provider with just one DID and 3 channels or use 3 lines like we have now?

    This is more dependent upon your situation. Are you happy having all calls going to one phone number and something like an autoattendant moving the calls around?



  • @Dashrender said:

    @johnhooks said:

    Also, is it better to use a provider with just one DID and 3 channels or use 3 lines like we have now?

    This is more dependent upon your situation. Are you happy having all calls going to one phone number and something like an autoattendant moving the calls around?

    Ya we like having the auto attendant. We have one now, but the lines rollover.



  • Rule of thumb with DIDs, and it is just a general rule, but fewer is better. DIDs are not free and they are limiting as far as lock in and such. And they are an old way of thinking. People rarely expect direct access numbers anymore, they understand that people have extensions. Makes you look like a big company. DIDs for every person is very "SMB" thinking. Makes people feel like you have POTS lines.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    Rule of thumb with DIDs, and it is just a general rule, but fewer is better. DIDs are not free and they are limiting as far as lock in and such. And they are an old way of thinking. People rarely expect direct access numbers anymore, they understand that people have extensions. Makes you look like a big company. DIDs for every person is very "SMB" thinking. Makes people feel like you have POTS lines.

    Ya the reason I asked was, at least from what I've read, Vitelity only gives you two channels per DID. So I didn't know if it was common practice to have more than one (I was hoping not, just seems to add more confusion). Right now we have 3 separate numbers, but 2 and 3 rollover to 1. This also seems to be more costly, at least with Comcast, because each line is something like $30-35.



  • I'm hoping to do this soon. We have an ancient Avaya system. The lines are maxed out and you can't hardly hear the people on the phone.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    Rule of thumb with DIDs, and it is just a general rule, but fewer is better. DIDs are not free and they are limiting as far as lock in and such. And they are an old way of thinking. People rarely expect direct access numbers anymore, they understand that people have extensions. Makes you look like a big company. DIDs for every person is very "SMB" thinking. Makes people feel like you have POTS lines.

    huh - When I don't get a DID I just think a company is either cheap or they don't want their employees getting phones directly to their desk.



  • We also had Comcast give us a quote for their hosted pbx (just to see). For 8 lines, with only 4 having voicemail it was going to be something like $376 (including internet).



  • @johnhooks said:

    I'm hoping to do this soon. We have an ancient Avaya system. The lines are maxed out and you can't hardly hear the people on the phone.

    FreePBX, blows that away, no limits, and free.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @johnhooks said:

    I'm hoping to do this soon. We have an ancient Avaya system. The lines are maxed out and you can't hardly hear the people on the phone.

    FreePBX, blows that away, no limits, and free.

    Ha I set it up at home and it's already nicer than the phone system here.



  • @Dashrender said:

    huh - When I don't get a DID I just think a company is either cheap or they don't want their employees getting phones directly to their desk.

    What "real" business lets you call everyone directly outside a few executives?



  • @johnhooks said:

    We also had Comcast give us a quote for their hosted pbx (just to see). For 8 lines, with only 4 having voicemail it was going to be something like $376 (including internet).

    Yeah AND you'd be locked in just like a legacy phone system from the 1960s. Even if that was cheap, which it is not, that's crazy. I can tell you that NTG's hosted phone system is cheaper than that for 80 lines 😉



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @johnhooks said:

    We also had Comcast give us a quote for their hosted pbx (just to see). For 8 lines, with only 4 having voicemail it was going to be something like $376 (including internet).

    Yeah AND you'd be locked in just like a legacy phone system from the 1960s. Even if that was cheap, which it is not, that's crazy. I can tell you that NTG's hosted phone system is cheaper than that for 80 lines 😉

    Oh it was insane. The "Sales Engineer" was telling me how he's talked with IT Directors at large companies and they really liked the system. Ya, ok.



  • They wanted $10 a month for essentially a loudspeaker ringer for on the shop floor.



  • @johnhooks said:

    Oh it was insane. The "Sales Engineer" was telling me how he's talked with IT Directors at large companies and they really liked the system. Ya, ok.

    Where "IT Director" = "Guy getting paid to arrange other people to do IT on his behalf."



  • @johnhooks said:

    We also had Comcast give us a quote for their hosted pbx (just to see). For 8 lines, with only 4 having voicemail it was going to be something like $376 (including internet).

    did that include phones too?

    Cox wanted $20/month/extension - but that includes them installing a whole new wireplant, switches, phones, etc. They manage the entire thing. At that price it's not a bad offering. They do offer less expensive options that allow you to use your preexisting networking, etc, but I don't have that pricing.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @Dashrender said:

    huh - When I don't get a DID I just think a company is either cheap or they don't want their employees getting phones directly to their desk.

    What "real" business lets you call everyone directly outside a few executives?

    West Teleservices has DID's to a rather large percentage of their staff, if not everyone.



  • @Dashrender said:

    @johnhooks said:

    We also had Comcast give us a quote for their hosted pbx (just to see). For 8 lines, with only 4 having voicemail it was going to be something like $376 (including internet).

    did that include phones too?

    Cox wanted $20/month/extension - but that includes them installing a whole new wireplant, switches, phones, etc. They manage the entire thing. At that price it's not a bad offering. They do offer less expensive options that allow you to use your preexisting networking, etc, but I don't have that pricing.

    Ya it was for their low end phones. They put an edgemark behind our router, but don't do any installation of wiring.



  • You can buy very nice, brand new phones for about $120. You can get cheap new ones for around $80.



  • @Dashrender said:

    Cox wanted $20/month/extension - but that includes them installing a whole new wireplant, switches, phones, etc. They manage the entire thing. At that price it's not a bad offering. They do offer less expensive options that allow you to use your preexisting networking, etc, but I don't have that pricing.

    If that is over, say, 18 phones it is not a very good deal. That is quite a lot of money.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    You can buy very nice, brand new phones for about $120. You can get cheap new ones for around $80.

    Have you used any of the Ubiquiti UVPs?



  • @Dashrender said:

    West Teleservices has DID's to a rather large percentage of their staff, if not everyone.

    Yes, we've established that that one, smaller enterprise in the midwest does not follow the norms of the Fortune 500 in the rest of the world very often 🙂



  • @johnhooks said:

    Have you used any of the Ubiquiti UVPs?

    No, they are very new.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @Dashrender said:

    Cox wanted $20/month/extension - but that includes them installing a whole new wireplant, switches, phones, etc. They manage the entire thing. At that price it's not a bad offering. They do offer less expensive options that allow you to use your preexisting networking, etc, but I don't have that pricing.

    If that is over, say, 18 phones it is not a very good deal. That is quite a lot of money.

    Oh it's way to damned expensive - but it's a fully managed/hosted/etc solution.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @johnhooks said:

    Have you used any of the Ubiquiti UVPs?

    No, they are very new.

    I tried to find a some videos on them, but the only ones I found were unboxing videos. One guy had a video setting it up, but didn't have a pbx to connect it to for the video.



  • @Dashrender said:

    Oh it's way to damned expensive - but it's a fully managed/hosted/etc solution.

    No "but", it's expensive. As someone who does that all for less..... 😉


Log in to reply