*Solved*: Unable to complete Sharepoint 2013 SP1 install



  • Hello all,

    I got a task to upgrade our test dev Sharepoint server to SP1. After reading quite a lot of documents, which almost everything shows the SP1 upgrade as a simple straight forward process. Just to be on the safe side, I took the backup of the one site collection which the dev team is working on, got confirmation from them that the other site collections are not required!

    So I downloaded SP1, installed, restarted. As per the plan, executed SP products wizard, went through 8 stages out of 10 and on the 9 0f 10 stage, it failed with an error "One of more configuration settings filed.. An exception of type Microsoft.Sharepoint.PostSetup.Configuration.PostSerup ConfigurationTaskException was thrown.

    More details was on the log file:

    Upon search with the keyword "ERR", found below events:
    The exclusive inplace upgrader timer job failed

    I checked on event log and saw an error:
    SQL Database 'Search_Service_Application_DB_9add0a660e54456ba164ca02a083fd5d' on SQL instance not found.

    Few of the posts mentioned about giving dbowner in case if not there for databases, all db has it, and I checked manually on SQL, couldn't find such a db name.

    Anyone had similar issues during an upgrade?



  • Surprised that no one replied on this post yet! 🙂

    The issue is fixed now. This server was shared with a third party company for deploying some custom solutions, and during that time, seems like they did lot of trials. There were lots of orphan web applications on the farm which was giving me the issue. So once SP1 was installed and when we execute the product wizard, SP checks all web apps, db etc and when its not finding all necessary connection like db/web app details, it throws an exception error and stops.

    Issue:
    The event log was full of errors that some database on my SharePoint SQL instance is not found.

    Cause:
    This was caused by me creating and deleting a service application, and then going into SQL Management Studio and manually deleting the associated service application database. SharePoint still had a record of the database in its config database.

    Solution:
    Delete the record of the orphaned database using PowerShell

    1. Open SharePoint Management Shell
    2. Type: Get-SPDatabase | fl name, id
    3. Find the database you wish to remove and select its ID.
    4. Type: $pp = get-spdatabase <id>
    5. Type: $pp.delete()

    SharePoint’s record of the database is now deleted and it should no longer complain that the database is not found.

    After a massive cleanup the whole night and had to check from central admin - Health Analyser section, click Review problems and solutions, and on 'Content databases contain orphaned items' and select automatic repair and then reanalyse. I finally got all cleaned up.

    Did one more run of products wizard, but still it failed! Upon checking IIS, the app pools and iis sites were found in stopped state. Restarted all sites and app pools, run products wizard and this time it worked without issues and finally got SP1 installed on the farm! 🙂



  • I think very few people deploy Sharepoint in house anymore.



  • hmm true! This was a great learning experience for me, and I feel lucky to get a chance to do this upgrade soon after I started learning SP, it was a tough night but worth it! Since I started on SP, I am getting involved in quite a lot of future projects that involves migration, health checkups, deployment etc and I am sure, will be posting more of these.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    I think very few people deploy Sharepoint in house anymore.

    Because...Office365. 😉



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    I think very few people deploy Sharepoint in house anymore.

    I have entire customer's sites hosted within Sharepoint. Not the usual collaboration stuff, straight up consumer level sites. Like, huge company, 500 sites a host level. We had a lot of other customers use Sharepoint to extend their site's abilities.

    For a simple share, yeah, go O365. Extend the functionality to other stuff, you need a local install.


Log in to reply