Exporting mailboxes and archives from Office 365 without using Outlook.

• Anyone know of a free way to mass export mailboxes from 0365, or even a powershell script to export email for one mailbox at a time.

I am going to be exporting maybe 45 mailboxes, probably only imported 25 or so to whatever service I pick here in the next day or so. I have used Migrationwiz in the past, but I figure why waste the money.

All the mailboxes have 6 months of email and then archiving turned on for everything older.

A lot of guys use webmail around here since they run Linux, so doing it from powershell or using some other tool would be ideal. Even if I had to do one at a time.

• Are you wanting to export the email as a pst file or as individual mail files?

I haven't had to do this, just curious.

• @DustinB3403 yeah I think that would be ideal. This way I can import the accounts to the new service for the users I keep and have an archive for the users that wont be coming to the new company

I really thought powershell had done this. I spent some time using PS to setup archiving a few years back and havent touched it since.

• Service Provider

@bigbear I use a powershell script to create a PST archive for terminated employees with an in house Exchange server. never looked into it for O365 yet for a client.

• Service Provider

I have this saved as powershell script named CreatePST.ps1 in C:\Scripts on the Exchange server.

# To execute script, you must open an exchange powershell window, elevated permissions not required.

# First you must be in the scripts directory.
    # cd \scripts

# Then execute the powershell script with 3 parameters.
    # ./CreatePST.ps1 >First Name< >Last Name< >email alias< 
    # ./CreatePST.ps1 Jared Busch jbusch

# The export path is not a variable as we need to know that it is writable by the system.

param (
        [string]$FirstName = $(throw "-FirstName is required."),
        [string]$LastName = $(throw "-LastName is required."),
    	[string]$alias = $(throw "-alias is required.")
    )

New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox "$alias" -FilePath "\\server\share\PSTExports\$FirstName.$LastName.pst"
    Write-Host ""
    Write-Host "To check status, run: Get-MailboxExportRequest | Get-MailboxExportRequestStatistics"

to my knowledge, there is no comparable feature for Office 365.

Most people recommend you use Outlook.

• @JaredBusch said in Exporting mailboxes and archives from Office 365 without using Outlook.:

Get-MailboxExportRequest

Unfortunately "Get-MailboxExportRequest " hasn't made it to Office 365 support.

I did find that using ediscovery tools I could export all mailboxes as individual PST files. I hope they are formatted normally, will report back once its complete and downloaded.

0_1490313144884_Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 7.49.39 PM.png

I started using migrationwiz and realized they weren't getting the exchange archives. But this is better and I can't believe no ones mentioned it in all the forums where people are trying to find a way to do it.

• @JaredBusch said in Exporting mailboxes and archives from Office 365 without using Outlook.:

I have this saved as powershell script named CreatePST.ps1 in C:\Scripts on the Exchange server.

# To execute script, you must open an exchange powershell window, elevated permissions not required.

# First you must be in the scripts directory.
    # cd \scripts

# Then execute the powershell script with 3 parameters.
    # ./CreatePST.ps1 >First Name< >Last Name< >email alias< 
    # ./CreatePST.ps1 Jared Busch jbusch

# The export path is not a variable as we need to know that it is writable by the system.

param (
        [string]$FirstName = $(throw "-FirstName is required."),
        [string]$LastName = $(throw "-LastName is required."),
    	[string]$alias = $(throw "-alias is required.")
    )

New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox "$alias" -FilePath "\\server\share\PSTExports\$FirstName.$LastName.pst"
    Write-Host ""
    Write-Host "To check status, run: Get-MailboxExportRequest | Get-MailboxExportRequestStatistics"

to my knowledge, there is no comparable feature for Office 365.

Most people recommend you use Outlook.

This is a killer script though. I was on the verge of setting up a local exchange server, migrating mailboxes in hybrid mode to the local install and running this script from there.

Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.