Server 2012 R2 KMS DNS Will Not Publish
Dashrender last edited by scottalanmiller
I'm trying to setup KMS on Windows Server 2012 R2 server.
I have volume activation service installed, it's activated and my KMS keys are all there and listed.
When I do a slmgr.vbs /dli I see
DNS publishing enabled
But when I go into DNS, the entry for _VLMCS is not there.
I manually added it, but then after a few mins it vanished.
Well, I manually added the record again. This time the record replicated to my other AD DNS box... and they both seem to be sticking around.
Dashrender last edited by Dashrender
I tried creating the DNS SRV record again, this time it stuck. It has even replicated to my other DNS server.
Now I get 0xc004f074 The software Licensing Servcie reported that the computer could not be activated. The Key Management Service (KMS) is unavailable.
I have the
VOLUME_KMS_2012-R2_WIN10 KMS key installed.
Does anyone know, will this key activate Windows 7 as well? perhaps I'm making a bad assumption that it will and I need to install a Windows 7 KMS key to the server?
What a pain in the ass!
When installing the Volume Activation service, it asked if it should update the firewall as needed. I left the default to yes... yet that seems to be the reason for the 0xc004f074 error.
Now that I've disabled the firewall temporarily, I'm getting 0xc004f038
The software Licensing Service reported that the computer could not be activated. The count reported by your Key Management Service (KMS) is insufficient. Please contact your system administrator.
YEAH!!! I fully expected this. I could see when doing a
cscript slmgr.vbs /dli
That I only had a count of 2, and of course I need 25 before Windows machines will start to activate.
With any luck the rest of my machines out there will check in now and drive that count through the roof.
Well this saga isn't over yet.
My old Windows 2008 R2 KMS server is still up and running, has KMS installed, but is NOT published in DNS - I've confirmed this.
But when I went to a computer and ran
cscript slmgr.vbs /ato
to force a re-registration, it still registered with the old server.
Now I've disabled the port (1688) on the old server. Now to see how the client PCs handle that.