Going Back to Staples?



  • So I received some information today that is so incredibly fulfilling, I can't even explain!

    I stopped in at Staples yesterday to say hi and just show my face. I talked to my former tech supervisor who proceeded to tell me sales were great, computer work was great, and things were fine and doing just well without me and how I made his life difficult when I was there and that is he was basically better off without me.

    However, the narrative I've heard from others is very different. My former GM called me and texted me today saying he has a "business proposal" for me. I also heard, through the grapevine, that the sales manager is fed up with the tech supervisor!

    I received these from my former co-worker and friend:
    "Come in and talk to <name removed> if you want your job back! She just talked to me about offering you it back! And she doesn't care who gets pissed if you come back. ..she needs numbers and you guarantee it!"

    Followed by...
    "He's being an ass...<name removed> is so fed up with him not selling ****, not getting computers done in a good time frame and just not listening."

    For me, this just proves what I told them when I left, which was that they wouldn't realize how much I did until I was gone. I have the leverage here, which also makes me happy. I got a callback from another job as well, but that's not for certain and I won't know anything about that for AT LEAST a week!

    So my question is...given all the variable, would it make sense to go back to Staples? If I go back, I can work on getting long-term work history on my resume, and I already know the job and are good at it, and most of all, I enjoy it. I would not go back for my previous pay and would negotiate a significant raise. I knew that they would miss me but I did NOT expect this, and so was taken a bit off-guard.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks,
    A.J.


  • Service Provider

    Can you also negotiate the renaming of the store to "Crazy AJ's"?



  • I'd say any port in a storm at this point. And at least it's a familiar port :)



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    Can you also negotiate the renaming of the store to "Crazy AJ's"?

    LOL! I wish! But although the store name may be one thing, when I'm there, I run the department and the fact that the tech supervisor had two months to show that he knew what he was talking about and failed to do so, only validates my points. :D



  • @Nic said:

    I'd say any port in a storm at this point. And at least it's a familiar port :)

    Yeah, I agree.


  • Service Provider

    I was a big supporter of staying at Staples long term in the first place. It's something that you know, it's reliable, it is a large company, it's not a job that you go into every day wondering what it will be like and it builds the stability that you need on your resume. It does it so much that if you put in two years (I know that that is a lot BUT it is two years of working a stable job, not two years of bad stuff) it pretty much washes away all of the stability problems.



  • At least rename the department to Crazy AJ's :)


  • Service Provider

    But don't let them decide that you are so important as to get your name put ahead of everything else. That kind of hubris leads to bad things.


  • Service Provider

    e.g. AJ's Crazy



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    e.g. AJ's Crazy

    I am, but I'm damn good at that job...


  • Service Provider

    Overall it makes sense. But you need to look at it as a long term investment. Keep your anger and frustration under control, let others deal with getting rid of people that you don't like or that are crap. Don't be the squeaky wheel, just keep your head down.


  • Service Provider

    It is a good opportunity to work on your writing and other things while your main job is stable and not stressful.



  • It sounds like a reasonable move.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    It is a good opportunity to work on your writing and other things while your main job is stable and not stressful.

    Oh it's stressful. If I go back, I'm basically going to be the entire department...again. Thankfully, I know that dance and do it very well.


  • Service Provider

    Isn't that the description of a job that would be very non-stressful?



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    Isn't that the description of a job that would be very non-stressful?

    It's a two-edged sword. Yes, I basically get to do the work my way and get things done overall to my standards. The problem becomes that I have very little support from the other techs. However, given that they've seen that the proof is in the pudding, to be cliche, I will probably have more management support this time.



  • @thanksajdotcom said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    Isn't that the description of a job that would be very non-stressful?

    It's a two-edged sword. Yes, I basically get to do the work my way and get things done overall to my standards. The problem becomes that I have very little support from the other techs. However, given that they've seen that the proof is in the pudding, to be cliche, I will probably have more management support this time.

    The biggest problem often tends to be operational stuff...stock shelves, etc. Stuff that I can do and do well, but my time is much better spent doing other tasks, and I used to get yelled at when I tried to "delegate".


  • Service Provider

    @thanksajdotcom said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    Isn't that the description of a job that would be very non-stressful?

    It's a two-edged sword. Yes, I basically get to do the work my way and get things done overall to my standards. The problem becomes that I have very little support from the other techs. However, given that they've seen that the proof is in the pudding, to be cliche, I will probably have more management support this time.

    But where does the stress come from? Busy should not be stressful.


  • Service Provider

    @thanksajdotcom said:

    @thanksajdotcom said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    Isn't that the description of a job that would be very non-stressful?

    It's a two-edged sword. Yes, I basically get to do the work my way and get things done overall to my standards. The problem becomes that I have very little support from the other techs. However, given that they've seen that the proof is in the pudding, to be cliche, I will probably have more management support this time.

    The biggest problem often tends to be operational stuff...stock shelves, etc. Stuff that I can do and do well, but my time is much better spent doing other tasks, and I used to get yelled at when I tried to "delegate".

    But again, boring maybe, not valuable perhaps, but why stressful?



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksajdotcom said:

    @thanksajdotcom said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    Isn't that the description of a job that would be very non-stressful?

    It's a two-edged sword. Yes, I basically get to do the work my way and get things done overall to my standards. The problem becomes that I have very little support from the other techs. However, given that they've seen that the proof is in the pudding, to be cliche, I will probably have more management support this time.

    The biggest problem often tends to be operational stuff...stock shelves, etc. Stuff that I can do and do well, but my time is much better spent doing other tasks, and I used to get yelled at when I tried to "delegate".

    But again, boring maybe, not valuable perhaps, but why stressful?

    Because it hurts the department, sales and I used to get yelled at for not getting it done, which stressed me out.


  • Service Provider

    @thanksajdotcom said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksajdotcom said:

    @thanksajdotcom said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    Isn't that the description of a job that would be very non-stressful?

    It's a two-edged sword. Yes, I basically get to do the work my way and get things done overall to my standards. The problem becomes that I have very little support from the other techs. However, given that they've seen that the proof is in the pudding, to be cliche, I will probably have more management support this time.

    The biggest problem often tends to be operational stuff...stock shelves, etc. Stuff that I can do and do well, but my time is much better spent doing other tasks, and I used to get yelled at when I tried to "delegate".

    But again, boring maybe, not valuable perhaps, but why stressful?

    Because it hurts the department, sales and I used to get yelled at for not getting it done, which stressed me out.

    But why do you care? This is an emotional attachment to something that you should not be emotionally attached to. It's your job, you get paid and all you have to do is relax and doing it. The state of the department should not cause you any stress at all, none.


  • Service Provider

    And it hurts the department? Are you sure? You interject these things but if it really hurts Staples, are you confident that they are telling you to do it? How does it hurt the company?



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksajdotcom said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksajdotcom said:

    @thanksajdotcom said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    Isn't that the description of a job that would be very non-stressful?

    It's a two-edged sword. Yes, I basically get to do the work my way and get things done overall to my standards. The problem becomes that I have very little support from the other techs. However, given that they've seen that the proof is in the pudding, to be cliche, I will probably have more management support this time.

    The biggest problem often tends to be operational stuff...stock shelves, etc. Stuff that I can do and do well, but my time is much better spent doing other tasks, and I used to get yelled at when I tried to "delegate".

    But again, boring maybe, not valuable perhaps, but why stressful?

    Because it hurts the department, sales and I used to get yelled at for not getting it done, which stressed me out.

    But why do you care? This is an emotional attachment to something that you should not be emotionally attached to. It's your job, you get paid and all you have to do is relax and doing it. The state of the department should not cause you any stress at all, none.

    I'm good at this job because I care. I wish I could just relax but I can't...


  • Service Provider

    @thanksajdotcom But you can be good at a job and not find it stressful when you do what the job wants. You are creating your own definition of "good for" and "department success" that do not match the business' desires or goals. So that will always be stressful because you want something different for them than what they want. You "care" but you care about your own definition of what is good for them and not for the department itself.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    And it hurts the department? Are you sure? You interject these things but if it really hurts Staples, are you confident that they are telling you to do it? How does it hurt the company?

    Operational stuff, such as stocking, is important to driving general sales. When something is not on the shelf, even if we have it, someone may walk out without asking if we have it. It DOES hurt sales.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksajdotcom But you can be good at a job and not find it stressful when you do what the job wants. You are creating your own definition of "good for" and "department success" that do not match the business' desires or goals. So that will always be stressful because you want something different for them than what they want. You "care" but you care about your own definition of what is good for them and not for the department itself.

    Why do you think they're bringing me back? Because my method works. I get what you're saying though.


  • Service Provider

    @thanksajdotcom said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    And it hurts the department? Are you sure? You interject these things but if it really hurts Staples, are you confident that they are telling you to do it? How does it hurt the company?

    Operational stuff, such as stocking, is important to driving general sales. When something is not on the shelf, even if we have it, someone may walk out without asking if we have it. It DOES hurt sales.

    Exactly. So it is important. Part of the whole of delivering value to the customers.


  • Service Provider

    @thanksajdotcom said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksajdotcom But you can be good at a job and not find it stressful when you do what the job wants. You are creating your own definition of "good for" and "department success" that do not match the business' desires or goals. So that will always be stressful because you want something different for them than what they want. You "care" but you care about your own definition of what is good for them and not for the department itself.

    Why do you think they're bringing me back? Because my method works. I get what you're saying though.

    That your methods work doesn't mean that you don't make other people upset while doing so (which lowers your overall value to the company) and makes you upset and means that you can never really be happy because you have a value or desire mismatch that just doesn't work. Sure, you can brute force it into "good enough" but you are being driven by an emotion that is not healthy or helpful. Wanting the company to "do well" is well and good, but your definition of doing well and theirs either align or it isn't actually "doing well" that you want them to do.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksajdotcom said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    And it hurts the department? Are you sure? You interject these things but if it really hurts Staples, are you confident that they are telling you to do it? How does it hurt the company?

    Operational stuff, such as stocking, is important to driving general sales. When something is not on the shelf, even if we have it, someone may walk out without asking if we have it. It DOES hurt sales.

    Exactly. So it is important. Part of the whole of delivering value to the customers.

    Yes, I've never denied its importance. However, it doesn't require any particular skill to do handle, unlike the sales and tech portions of the job. It's about the most efficient use of labor. CAN I do it? Yes. But there are things that I can do that others can't. Anyone can stock the shelves.


  • Service Provider

    Sounds like the issue is pride then. I've stocked shelves, it's just part of some jobs. Sure, you can do more than that. So can other people. But someone has to do it.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.