Windows 7 VM on a Server



  • I was looking into this to make sure we are properly licensed we have 3 Windows 7 VM Test Boxes on our servers. Chris's article on spiceworks seems to suggest that the VDA licence is the only thing needed. It almost sounds like once you buy that (and pay yearly) you can use any key to install as many VMs as you won't (as long as each person has a VDA licence)

    Also Does that man you only need one VDA licence per person even with multiple VMs they could access?

    http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/47241-server-based-desktop-virtualization-licensing-how-to



  • That's the way I read it.

    Though I might buy three SAs on Windows Pro instead of VDA, assuming only three users are accessing those VMs. And if you only have one user accessing those three VMs, you only need one SA or VDA.



  • @Dashrender said:

    That's the way I read it.

    Though I might buy three SAs on Windows Pro instead of VDA, assuming only three users are accessing those VMs. And if you only have one user accessing those three VMs, you only need one SA or VDA.

    There's a lot more than 3. Our DevOPs use it.



  • Aw, well, it's going to get expensive then... lol
    😉



  • Found it looks like the VDAs come with a windows key in MSVLSC for us.



  • Just talked to MS guys. We don't even need the VDA since they are for testing we can just use the MSDN Keys and not worry about licensing.



  • @thecreativeone91 said:

    Just talked to MS guys. We don't even need the VDA since they are for testing we can just use the MSDN Keys and not worry about licensing.

    Assuming you already have a KMS server, you shouldn't need to do anything. The Windows 2008 R2 Server (maybe original 2008 as well) KMS key will authorize Windows 7.



  • @Dashrender said:

    @thecreativeone91 said:

    Just talked to MS guys. We don't even need the VDA since they are for testing we can just use the MSDN Keys and not worry about licensing.

    Assuming you already have a KMS server, you shouldn't need to do anything. The Windows 2008 R2 Server (maybe original 2008 as well) KMS key will authorize Windows 7.

    Yeah the MDSN and MSVLSC are seperate. The Volume licensing is for production and the MSDN is for testing purposes only. Granted I don't think it matters too much what key is installed. We have both accounts.