Nextcloud Update 14.04 Security Warning

• After updating to the new version, the overview section says this:

There are some warnings regarding your setup.
    The "Strict-Transport-Security" HTTP header is not set to at least "15552000" seconds. For enhanced security, it is recommended to enable HSTS as described in the security tips ↗.

I'm using nginx as a reverse proxy so I added add_header Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000; to the server block. nginx -t came back successful. Restarting the nginx service and am still receiving the error.

• @wirestyle22 said in Nextcloud Update 14.04 Security Warning:

After updating to the new version, the overview section says this:

The "Strict-Transport-Security" HTTP header is not set to at least "15552000" seconds. For enhanced security, it is recommended to enable HSTS as described in the security tips ↗.

I'm using nginx as a reverse proxy so I added add_header Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000; to the server block. nginx -t came back successful. Restarting the nginx service and am still receiving the error.

The max age needs to be at least 15552000 your number is way lower than that.

• @dbeato said in Nextcloud Update 14.04 Security Warning:

@wirestyle22 said in Nextcloud Update 14.04 Security Warning:

Nevermind, I read one less 0.. But what about the engine on the actual Nextcloud server?

@dbeato said in Nextcloud Update 14.04 Security Warning:

Nevermind, I read one less 0.. But what about the engine on the actual Nextcloud server?

I didn't touch nextcloud itself. My thought is that NC can't tell that this is happening because it doesn't have a file to reference on the host itself. Basically a false positive. I am wondering if what I did is enough hardening-wise though and I can just ignore the error.

e positive. I am wondering if what I did is enough hardening-wise though and I can just ignore the error.

I would assume you can ignore it since NextCloud will be going through your Nginx Reverse proxy.

e positive. I am wondering if what I did is enough hardening-wise though and I can just ignore the error.

I would assume you can ignore it since NextCloud will be going through your Nginx Reverse proxy.

That's my thought. Just wanted to verify.

Strict-Transport-Security

If you are using Nginx Reverse Proxy, adding add_header Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=63072000; includeSubdomains; preload"; in your server block should remove that warning.