SCDPM 2016 using MBS



  • Edit: Some background on what I'm doing, for the sake of context:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dpm/2016/10/19/introducing-dpm-2016-modern-backup-storage/

    I've got to say, so far my semi-production testing of System Center Data Protection Manager 2016 using Modern Backup Storage method is going well.

    This post may be a little early, as I still have a ton of testing scenarios to perform... but I wanted to share my initial results, with maybe some hopes of others who are/have done the same thing could share theirs as well.

    Environment

    I started the test backing up two sources:

    • A Hyper-V Server 2016 host used to build and hold "gold master" images for image deployment (287 GB)
    • A real production "main" fileserver(WS2016) (located on a different 2012 R2 Datacenter host) that has a little over 3 TB of data (which already includes one or two already deduped volumes) (3.1 TB)

    I have the "gold master" hyper-v host being backed up to 16x 250 GB .vhdx disks in a simple volume (raid0) (F:). No need to raid that as they are located on a physical RAID10 which is formatted as NTFS.

    The "main" fileserver is being backed up on to 24x 500 GB .vhdx disks in a simple volume (raid0), also located on a physical RAID10 formatted as NTFS (E: on the backup server host)

    So together, they are about 3.4 TB of data. Here's the dedup results on the backup host:

    0_1491766954190_Untitled.jpg

    So right off the bat, it looks like all the gold masters are deduping pretty well (73% space savings). I'm guessing because there's a lot of like data, but what I want to test is to see if the smaller .vhdx disks on the back-end make a difference.

    The 3.1 TB fileserver backup deduped at 45% space savings. I was hoping for 50% but close enough.

    What's it look like on the back end?

    I added 3 additional SCSI controllers on the VM, and added the 40x .vhdx disks split among those.

    0_1491767354217_Untitled.jpg

    Within the backup VM (serv-DPM), I used Storage Spaces to create two volumes to present to SCDPM, which formats that as ReFS.

    I don't have DPM backing up the Fileserver and other gold master host over the weekend because that's when our real backups are done, so I don't yet have any results regarding subsequent DPM backups. I have them set for 7 days retention, and to back up mon,tues,wed,thurs.

    I'll post more results later this week. And even more further test results in the coming weeks.



  • I'll be doing a big "thing" on this in the near future. Probably on my blog in the end, but I'll post here the statuses and updates here in the meantime.



  • This is the backup server HOST:

    0_1491767946063_Untitled.jpg

    This is the DPM vm. Note that I over-provisioned storage on purpose for dedup on the back-end:

    0_1491768109316_Untitled.jpg



  • Side note: The smaller physical volume (1.9 TB (RAID10)) is the internal storage on the R420 (serv-backup). The larger physical volume (5.91 TB (RAID10)) is a bunch of random spinning rust in an MD1000 attached to the R420.



  • The initial backup (data sync) of the 3 TB and 300 GB was very fast. Much better than the current production backup method. That alone would be a nice improvement, allowing more time for maintenance after backups are done.



  • Some updates:

    A couple days ago, I added a third production server to the backup test that is about 1.6 TB.

    All protection groups are scheduled to back up daily (excluding weekends). They all complete pretty fast, even without taking advantage of the new Resilient Change Tracking (RCT) technology used when VMs are running at a configuration version of 8.0 (Hyper-V 2016).

    I now have three test protection groups (split weirdly for testing and tracking):

    1. VM1 - fileserver (3.2 TB of data) (Test group 1)
    2. Hyper-V Host running 6 VMs (255 GB of data) (Test group 2)
    3. VM2 - application server (1.61 TB of data) (Test group 3)

    Total data to back up: 5065 GB (5.1 TB)

    I have between 3 and 6 recovery points for each VM or server, depending on which one it is.

    DPM Admin Console shows the following amounts of backup storage capacity being used for each protection group:

    Test Group 1: 3250 GB
    Test Group 2: 258 GB
    Test Group 3: 1658 GB

    Total backup storage capacity being used: 5166 GB

    This number contains 3 to 6 recovery points.

    Now on the DPM Host:

    0_1492027137336_Untitled.jpg 0_1492027166114_Untitled.jpg

    You can see I'm averaging over 50% space savings.

    Backup space savings of over 50%, upwards of 75% depending on the group, plus the fact it does it quickly (with further optimization available), shows this is going rather nicely, and sure beats the current process.



  • Next, (after some more data testing), I want to test backup replication, tape, and cloud using different retention ranges, backup frequency, recovery points, backup modes, etc...



  • I will also be testing virtual tape (via iSCSI) using Starwind. I plan on using that to replicate the existing backups to another location.


  • Service Provider

    @Tim_G said in SCDPM 2016 using MBS:

    I will also be testing virtual tape (via iSCSI) using Starwind. I plan on using that to replicate the existing backups to another location.

    Sweet. I'm sure @KOOLER and @Stuka will be happy.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.