I am finally going to make the switch from OS X to Ubuntu on my main daily drive (for work and home). I plan to run it with Cinnamon.
So can anyone suggest a laptop that matches most of the following (in no particular order):
- 15" High res display, at least 1440p
- Has a Thunderbolt 2 port (for my doc) and HDMI out.
- Something with enough CPU power to run Cinnamon flawlessly
- Good battery life, preferably something that can get me around 4 or 5 hours of life on a charge.
- Be hardware compatible with Ubuntu in specific and the linux core in general (ie other distros).
- It does not have to be "ultra-portable" or super light, but I'd rather it not be one of those desktop replacement models that weigh as much as a desktop, I will be travelling with it.
Mostly this machine will be used to run Chrome (Chromium) and a typical set of network admin tools. On the personal side it'd be used for YouTube and Netflix for video, I do not plan to do any gaming on it.
Budget wise, it'd need to be something comparable to the current 15" Macbook Pros, so under $2k or so.
Some google searches lead me to some nice looking laptops, but they always seem to be 13" or smaller displays or only 1080p, or weight an absolute tone. So is there anything you guys think I am leaving out? What make/models do you suggest?