Dealing with panic attacks...



  • Not going to go into too much detail. Short overview:

    *Working full time
    *School full time
    *Mortgage
    *Unmarried, no kids, but living with my girlfriend
    *High level of bills
    *Paying for school out of pocket

    I am in honor society, and am now eligible for scholarships so I can stop paying out of pocket. What do I go and do with my good grades? Forget to take an exam (a take home exam, but we have 5 total, this was the first, and they are weighted 20%) while I'm studying for finals. So I went from an A+ in this classο»Ώ, to an F. If you even get a B, your chances of staying in honors is slim. I find out soon if I am going to be shown any leniency but there is a chance I'll get suspended from honor society, any scholarship opportunities frozen indefinitely. Worse case scenario, I fail the class and get kicked out of school for 12 months. Does it matter that I have a 4.0 average? Nope. You fail a class you are done.

    I've been having a legitimate panic attack all day. Tried deep breathing exercises, talking to people, trying to keep an upbeat attitude, slow things down a little, and positive thinking.

    What the hell else can one do besides just say f^ck it and start wading through sh^t creek? Anything that works for any of you?



  • @BBigford said:

    rs is slim. I find out soon if I am going to be shown any leniency but there is a chance I'll get suspended from honor society, any

    Holy crap.. what school are you in?

    Are you talking about college? Have you read Scott's opinion on college?



  • @Dashrender said:

    @BBigford said:

    rs is slim. I find out soon if I am going to be shown any leniency but there is a chance I'll get suspended from honor society, any

    Holy crap.. what school are you in?

    Are you talking about college? Have you read Scott's opinion on college?

    Grad school for me was like this. If you dropped below a 3.0 you were on academic watch if you didn't improve after a semester you were out.



  • Make sure you are getting plenty of sleep (I know that seems like a daunting task itself). From what you've listed above, I would try to part time one of your full time things. Sounds like school is a real source of stress, maybe go part time on that.

    Is your GF pulling her weight financially? I would love having someone to pay half my mortgage and bills. If she's not, that's a BIG stress causer.

    There are many herbal remedies for stress, both legal and semi-legal. The semi-legal kind works much better, but some valerian root or kava kava will do wonders considering you can buy them at a health food store. Use the liquid extract in either case.

    Exercise, in any form, can help as well. Work out w/ weights, take a jog or a swim, do yoga (good place to start),

    The recipe for stress relief that works for me is: No gf, no kids, no school. Eat, drink, smoke, and [email protected] what you want, repeat as needed. Life is for living, don't forget that....

    0_1459795375068_life-picture-quotes_6515-1.png



  • Do you have the option to take a semester off?



  • @Dashrender said:

    @BBigford said:

    rs is slim. I find out soon if I am going to be shown any leniency but there is a chance I'll get suspended from honor society, any

    Holy crap.. what school are you in?

    Are you talking about college? Have you read Scott's opinion on college?

    College of Western Idaho (Boise). I know school isn't necessary to some. I'm 27 with almost 10 years in IT so I don't feel I HAVE to go to school. I've always wanted to get a degree so it's more of a life goal than out of necessity to put on a resume/CV.

    They are strict because it's not a broadview university where I can take other classes. I had a SQL class, Linux server class, and this is a security class. You have to pass one to move on to the other. D is failing, and if you fail, you wait 12 months for the class to roll back around.



  • @RojoLoco said:

    Make sure you are getting plenty of sleep (I know that seems like a daunting task itself). From what you've listed above, I would try to part time one of your full time things. Sounds like school is a real source of stress, maybe go part time on that.

    Is your GF pulling her weight financially? I would love having someone to pay half my mortgage and bills. If she's not, that's a BIG stress causer.

    There are many herbal remedies for stress, both legal and semi-legal. The semi-legal kind works much better, but some valerian root or kava kava will do wonders considering you can buy them at a health food store. Use the liquid extract in either case.

    Exercise, in any form, can help as well. Work out w/ weights, take a jog or a swim, do yoga (good place to start),

    The recipe for stress relief that works for me is: No gf, no kids, no school. Eat, drink, smoke, and [email protected] what you want, repeat as needed. Life is for living, don't forget that....

    0_1459795375068_life-picture-quotes_6515-1.png

    Yeah my girlfriend pays half of everything (groceries, she has her own car, mortgage, power, everything). Haha I like your recipe for stress relief though.



  • @coliver said:

    Do you have the option to take a semester off?

    I took like 10 years off between high school and now, I'm not taking another semester. To directly answer your question, no. If you stop going, you have to wait 12 months for that class to roll back around. Plus, if I have kids I'll probably never go back because of availability and finances, and we're gonna start thinking about kids in the next 5 years. Finishing school is now or never...



  • @BBigford you only get a few decades to ride this mudball around the sun. On your deathbed, a missed exam or honors list whatever will be inconsequential. Live your life well and it will all work out right.



  • @RojoLoco said:

    @BBigford you only get a few decades to ride this mudball around the sun. On your deathbed, a missed exam or honors list whatever will be inconsequential. Live your life well and it will all work out right.

    I keep trying to think of that exact thing. Thanks for that.



  • @RojoLoco said:

    Make sure you are getting plenty of sleep (I know that seems like a daunting task itself). From what you've listed above, I would try to part time one of your full time things. Sounds like school is a real source of stress, maybe go part time on that.

    Is your GF pulling her weight financially? I would love having someone to pay half my mortgage and bills. If she's not, that's a BIG stress causer.

    There are many herbal remedies for stress, both legal and semi-legal. The semi-legal kind works much better, but some valerian root or kava kava will do wonders considering you can buy them at a health food store. Use the liquid extract in either case.

    Exercise, in any form, can help as well. Work out w/ weights, take a jog or a swim, do yoga (good place to start),

    The recipe for stress relief that works for me is: No gf, no kids, no school. Eat, drink, smoke, and [email protected] what you want, repeat as needed. Life is for living, don't forget that....

    I'll 2nd the exercise bit, nothing works for me like tiring myself out to the point that I drop into bed.

    Other above mentioned things also work, but no where near as well (at least for me).



  • @RojoLoco said:

    @BBigford you only get a few decades to ride this mudball around the sun. On your deathbed, a missed exam or honors list whatever will be inconsequential. Live your life well and it will all work out right.

    You might get a kick out of this scene from The Departed. It always makes me laugh for some reason. I think just because it's way over the top in regards to someone really stressed out:

    Youtube Video



  • @BBigford Ha! That scene brings up 2 thoughts: 1) [email protected] western medicine and the American health care system, and 2) I hope he got to bang the doctor lady.



  • @RojoLoco said:

    @BBigford Ha! That scene brings up 2 thoughts: 1) [email protected] western medicine and the American health care system, and 2) I hope he got to bang the doctor lady.

    If you haven't watched that movie, you should. I'm not going to spoil anything. It's an Irish, organized crime type of movie.



  • @BBigford My people! I mean, my ancestors were in the banking industry...



  • @RojoLoco said:

    @BBigford My people! I mean, my ancestors were in the banking industry...

    I bet they made a lot of withdrawls.... (sarcasm)



  • @RojoLoco said:

    @BBigford My people! I mean, my ancestors were in the banking industry...

    Here's another scene I love...

    Youtube Video



  • When I was much younger my Grandpa asked me a very simple question that may have completely changed the outcome of the person I would grow to be. He asked me what is more important-being right or being kind? This applies to how you treat yourself too. You may do things you aren't proud of or make mistakes but be kind to yourself. Your successes/failures don't define who you are they are just things you have done.



  • I drink a lot That's the real solution. If you are not drinking heavily, IT is likely not for you πŸ˜‰



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    I drink a lot That's the real solution. If you are not drinking heavily, IT is likely not for you πŸ˜‰

    The trouble with that is drinking when you don't have to IT the next day... (which for many of us, isn't often).



  • @DustinB3403 said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I drink a lot That's the real solution. If you are not drinking heavily, IT is likely not for you πŸ˜‰

    The trouble with that is drinking when you don't have to IT the next day... (which for many of us, isn't often).

    Live IT. Love IT.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    I drink a lot That's the real solution. If you are not drinking heavily, IT is likely not for you πŸ˜‰

    I have a membership card to a local brewery.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    I drink a lot That's the real solution. If you are not drinking heavily, IT is likely not for you πŸ˜‰

    ...and I think I'll be venturing to that brewery later this afternoon. No studying will be completed this evening. Merely wind down, then go home and lay in the hammock in the back yard.



  • @DustinB3403 said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I drink a lot That's the real solution. If you are not drinking heavily, IT is likely not for you πŸ˜‰

    The trouble with that is drinking when you don't have to IT the next day... (which for many of us, isn't often).

    Why would that be a problem?



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @DustinB3403 said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I drink a lot That's the real solution. If you are not drinking heavily, IT is likely not for you πŸ˜‰

    The trouble with that is drinking when you don't have to IT the next day... (which for many of us, isn't often).

    Why would that be a problem?

    Wouldn't that just make drinking all the more fulfilling? Not having to do anything IT related the next day...



  • @BBigford said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @DustinB3403 said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I drink a lot That's the real solution. If you are not drinking heavily, IT is likely not for you πŸ˜‰

    The trouble with that is drinking when you don't have to IT the next day... (which for many of us, isn't often).

    Why would that be a problem?

    Wouldn't that just make drinking all the more fulfilling? Not having to do anything IT related the next day...

    Drinking fixes the stress that ensues from having to do IT the next day. Drinking on weekends is just self indulgent. πŸ˜‰



  • @RojoLoco said:

    @BBigford said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @DustinB3403 said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I drink a lot That's the real solution. If you are not drinking heavily, IT is likely not for you πŸ˜‰

    The trouble with that is drinking when you don't have to IT the next day... (which for many of us, isn't often).

    Why would that be a problem?

    Wouldn't that just make drinking all the more fulfilling? Not having to do anything IT related the next day...

    Drinking fixes the stress that ensues from having to do IT the next day. Drinking on weekends is just self indulgent. πŸ˜‰

    Exactly.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    I drink a lot That's the real solution. If you are not drinking heavily, IT is likely not for you πŸ˜‰

    Do you drink and IT?



  • @BRRABill said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I drink a lot That's the real solution. If you are not drinking heavily, IT is likely not for you πŸ˜‰

    Do you drink and IT?

    I drink and everything.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @BRRABill said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I drink a lot That's the real solution. If you are not drinking heavily, IT is likely not for you πŸ˜‰

    Do you drink and IT?

    I drink and everything.

    Scott has just admitted to drinking and driving folks.

    We have it in writing, now someone send the Rochester Police to go and fetch him.... </sarcasm>


Log in to reply