Rocket Chat vs. Jabber



  • I've read that Jabber is free, then I've read it's only free for CUCM customers. Is that true? If it is free to all, how do you stack it up to Rocket Chat? I'm looking to step away from Skype for Business and looking for solid alternatives. 95% of this goal is just to IM internally. Anything beyond that would be nice to have but easy to live without. I know that SAM did a Rocket Chat setup thread, just looking at all alternatives that are free in business like Rocket Chat, OpenFire, etc.



  • There are two different forms of Jabber. The first is the Jabber/XMPP protocol that application suites like OpenFire use to do instant messaging. Then there is the Jabber instant messaging suite that Cisco developed and named the same thing as a well defined protocol....

    Jabber, the protocol, is free and opensource. Jabber, the application, is not.


  • Banned

    @BBigford said:

    I've read that Jabber is free, then I've read it's only free for CUCM customers. Is that true? If it is free to all, how do you stack it up to Rocket Chat? I'm looking to step away from Skype for Business and looking for solid alternatives. 95% of this goal is just to IM internally. Anything beyond that would be nice to have but easy to live without. I know that SAM did a Rocket Chat setup thread, just looking at all alternatives that are free in business like Rocket Chat, OpenFire, etc.

    Cisco Jabber is not free it requires a license but it not enforced client side. It requires a per user license (Usually just CUWL Standard for each user to cover phone and Jabber). I think you are confusing the Cisco Jabber with Jabber/XMPP Protocol which is open source. Cisco Jabber also doesn't connect to just any server (though CUPS will federate with and XMPP, AOL etc)



  • There are tons of Jabber/XMPP servers out there. I think OpenFire is the best known.

    http://xmpp.org/software/servers.html



  • I haven't used either rocket.chat or OpenFire in production. So I can't really comment on those. I will say that rocket.chat seems to more akin to a chatroom style system then OpenFire which is pretty much direct IM.



  • @coliver said:

    I haven't used either rocket.chat or OpenFire in production. So I can't really comment on those. I will say that rocket.chat seems to more akin to a chatroom style system then OpenFire which is pretty much direct IM.

    That is a good analysis.

    If you want IM stuff, use openFire or another XMPP server.



  • @dafyre said:

    @coliver said:

    I haven't used either rocket.chat or OpenFire in production. So I can't really comment on those. I will say that rocket.chat seems to more akin to a chatroom style system then OpenFire which is pretty much direct IM.

    That is a good analysis.

    If you want IM stuff, use openFire or another XMPP server.

    Although it looks like rocket.chat does allow for direct messages it just doesn't seem like that is the intended function of it.



  • @BBigford said:

    I've read that Jabber is free

    Jabber is the old name of the XMPP protocol. It's an open protocol.

    There are tons of Jabber servers. Google Talk and OpenFire are the main players.



  • @coliver said:

    Jabber, the application, is not.

    Real Jabber is free. We ran the Jabber Daemon for years before OpenFire was around. Cisco Jabber always has to be Cisco Jabber and isn't Jabber, ever.



  • @coliver said:

    Although it looks like rocket.chat does allow for direct messages it just doesn't seem like that is the intended function of it.

    Rocket.chat is a clone of Slack. Slack is built to be a direct replacement for Jabber/XMPP as well as IRC, all in one. It goes after the Skype, Lync / Skype for Business and similar space. It tries to do a lot. Rocket.chat goes after the IM market just as much as OpenFire does, but it goes after the group chat functionality as well in a way that the rest never really do.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @coliver said:

    Although it looks like rocket.chat does allow for direct messages it just doesn't seem like that is the intended function of it.

    Rocket.chat is a clone of Slack. Slack is built to be a direct replacement for Jabber/XMPP as well as IRC, all in one. It goes after the Skype, Lync / Skype for Business and similar space. It tries to do a lot. Rocket.chat goes after the IM market just as much as OpenFire does, but it goes after the group chat functionality as well in a way that the rest never really do.

    That's good to know.



  • We use Cisco Jabber since we have the licensing, but it really isn't that great. It's pretty basic but gets the job done. It reminds me of messengers from 10 years ago. Not alot of features, you have to add users to your friend list one at a time. It does work well, but the features are dated and limited.



  • @IRJ said:

    We use Cisco Jabber since we have the licensing, but it really isn't that great.

    That was redundant 😉



  • @IRJ said:

    We use Cisco Jabber since we have the licensing, but it really isn't that great. It's pretty basic but gets the job done. It reminds me of messengers from 10 years ago. Not alot of features, you have to add users to your friend list one at a time. It does work well, but the features are dated and limited.

    We use AIM still here... we have licenses for Cisco Jabber but it is not in production.



  • Oh and Cisco Jabber is quite complicated like all Cisco stuff



  • Why isn't my network entirely Linux based? Can anyone tell me?



  • @wirestyle22 said:

    Why isn't my network entirely Linux based? Can anyone tell me?

    Politics?



  • @wirestyle22 said:

    Why isn't my network entirely Linux based? Can anyone tell me?

    Smokey the Bear has the answer... Only you can prevent Windows deployments.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @wirestyle22 said:

    Why isn't my network entirely Linux based? Can anyone tell me?

    Smokey the Bear has the answer... Only you can prevent Windows deployments.

    This is why everyone tells me I have dead eyes.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @wirestyle22 said:

    Why isn't my network entirely Linux based? Can anyone tell me?

    Smokey the Bear has the answer... Only you can prevent Windows deployments.

    Haha classic!



  • So what does everyone else use? I know SAM has a Rocket setup mixed with SfB that is not being used, instead just using Skype... coliver is using AIM still. Anyone else using an on-premise solution? Preferably free & open source.



  • @BBigford said:

    So what does everyone else use? I know SAM has a Rocket setup mixed with SfB that is not being used, instead just using Skype... coliver is using AIM still. Anyone else using an on-premise solution? Preferably free & open source.

    Smoke signals--however the cool thing is we use coloring so you can differentiate the clouds.



  • I forgot to add.. preferably something that we can use to pull from Active Directory without extreme difficulty. I can allocate some time to this project, but I'm looking for something that has a fairly small footprint and doesn't require tons of time to setup (basically, the opposite of SfB). 🙂



  • My Last place used openFire exclusively for internal stuff. I may switch my family from Skype over to RocketChat.



  • @BBigford said:

    I forgot to add.. preferably something that we can use to pull from Active Directory without extreme difficulty. I can allocate some time to this project, but I'm looking for something that has a fairly small footprint and doesn't require tons of time to setup (basically, the opposite of SfB). 🙂

    I think that pretty much everything talks to AD these days.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @BBigford said:

    I forgot to add.. preferably something that we can use to pull from Active Directory without extreme difficulty. I can allocate some time to this project, but I'm looking for something that has a fairly small footprint and doesn't require tons of time to setup (basically, the opposite of SfB). 🙂

    I think that pretty much everything talks to AD these days.

    Except OpenFire, right? Have to add everyone manually... Or is there a module for that now?



  • @dafyre said:

    My Last place used openFire exclusively for internal stuff. I may switch my family from Skype over to RocketChat.

    why manage your own (unless you're not) and instead use telegram?



  • @BBigford said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @BBigford said:

    I forgot to add.. preferably something that we can use to pull from Active Directory without extreme difficulty. I can allocate some time to this project, but I'm looking for something that has a fairly small footprint and doesn't require tons of time to setup (basically, the opposite of SfB). 🙂

    I think that pretty much everything talks to AD these days.

    Except OpenFire, right? Have to add everyone manually... Or is there a module for that now?

    There's an AD module for it.



  • @Dashrender said:

    @dafyre said:

    My Last place used openFire exclusively for internal stuff. I may switch my family from Skype over to RocketChat.

    why manage your own (unless you're not) and instead use telegram?

    100% required by customer contracts. No internal communication can be hosted by a provider. Has to be something on-premise.



  • @BBigford said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @BBigford said:

    I forgot to add.. preferably something that we can use to pull from Active Directory without extreme difficulty. I can allocate some time to this project, but I'm looking for something that has a fairly small footprint and doesn't require tons of time to setup (basically, the opposite of SfB). 🙂

    I think that pretty much everything talks to AD these days.

    Except OpenFire, right? Have to add everyone manually... Or is there a module for that now?

    OpenFire can talk to AD. It is actually a really easy setup.