Windows Phone 10 release





  • WUT!?
    I've been checking the update site (at least once) every day for the last month.
    ...
    checking again...
    ...
    nope. not in AU yet 😞



  • Who cares? The Platform is dead.....



  • @aaronstuder said:

    Who cares? The Platform is dead.....

    I care.



  • @aaronstuder said:

    Who cares? The Platform is dead.....

    Zombies are a pop culture phenomenon these days. Apparently this extends to phone OS too.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @aaronstuder said:

    Who cares? The Platform is dead.....

    Zombies are a pop culture phenomenon these days. Apparently this extends to phone OS too.

    Hence why Androids are more popular πŸ˜‰ Always more zombies than zombie hunters πŸ˜›



  • @aaronstuder said:

    Who cares? The Platform is dead.....

    I'm more curious to see if anyone actually got it since it was supposed to be released twice already. Plus I want to see how bad it is πŸ˜›



  • I keep hoping they can really bring the Windows phone back from the dead... but I am not really all that hopeful.



  • @Minion-Queen said:

    I keep hoping they can really bring the Windows phone back from the dead... but I am not really all that hopeful.

    I don't know, unless they figure out a way to make it valuable I just see it as wasting resources everywhere - variation for its own sake. It makes everything more expensive and complicated for everyone. Android and iOS offer very different experiences, each good in its own way. Windows Phone is really failing to have any benefits, it consistently is just "poorly executed Android."



  • @johnhooks said:

    @aaronstuder said:

    Who cares? The Platform is dead.....

    I'm more curious to see if anyone actually got it since it was supposed to be released twice already. Plus I want to see how bad it is πŸ˜›

    It's been so long I thought that it had been out for a long time and had already passed into obscurity.



  • no update available here either.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @Minion-Queen said:

    I keep hoping they can really bring the Windows phone back from the dead... but I am not really all that hopeful.

    I don't know, unless they figure out a way to make it valuable I just see it as wasting resources everywhere - variation for its own sake. It makes everything more expensive and complicated for everyone. Android and iOS offer very different experiences, each good in its own way. Windows Phone is really failing to have any benefits, it consistently is just "poorly executed Android."

    Poorly executed poorly executed android



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @Minion-Queen said:

    I keep hoping they can really bring the Windows phone back from the dead... but I am not really all that hopeful.

    I don't know, unless they figure out a way to make it valuable I just see it as wasting resources everywhere - variation for its own sake. It makes everything more expensive and complicated for everyone. Android and iOS offer very different experiences, each good in its own way. Windows Phone is really failing to have any benefits, it consistently is just "poorly executed Android."

    I thought poorly executed is how you usually describe Android πŸ˜› .



  • @coliver said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @Minion-Queen said:

    I keep hoping they can really bring the Windows phone back from the dead... but I am not really all that hopeful.

    I don't know, unless they figure out a way to make it valuable I just see it as wasting resources everywhere - variation for its own sake. It makes everything more expensive and complicated for everyone. Android and iOS offer very different experiences, each good in its own way. Windows Phone is really failing to have any benefits, it consistently is just "poorly executed Android."

    I thought poorly executed is how you usually describe Android πŸ˜› .

    poorly executed-ception



  • Sigh
    Still waiting...

    Youtube Video – [01:04..]



  • OK so it's released - but now the carriers still have to approve and release it.. and that means we'll likely never get it. Frak the damn carriers!!!



  • @Dashrender said:

    OK so it's released - but now the carriers still have to approve and release it.. and that means we'll likely never get it. Frak the damn carriers!!!

    'sif carriers. I bought my 640 outright.
    I don't want their crazy jibber-jabber on my phone.



  • Frankly I'm pissed that the carriers have this type of lock-in/lockdown. My land based ISP can't dictate what OS updates I get or OS I have on my computer to connect to the connection they provide me - why should the cellular carriers have this ability?

    Sure, tell me you won't provide support for my XYZ OS, but don't actively get in my way and prevent me from using it myself.



  • @Dashrender said:

    Frankly I'm pissed that the carriers have this type of lock-in/lockdown. My land based ISP can't dictate what OS updates I get or OS I have on my computer to connect to the connection they provide me - why should the cellular carriers have this ability?

    Sure, tell me you won't provide support for my XYZ OS, but don't actively get in my way and prevent me from using it myself.

    Could you do the Windows Insider thing?



  • @nadnerB said:

    @Dashrender said:

    Frankly I'm pissed that the carriers have this type of lock-in/lockdown. My land based ISP can't dictate what OS updates I get or OS I have on my computer to connect to the connection they provide me - why should the cellular carriers have this ability?

    Sure, tell me you won't provide support for my XYZ OS, but don't actively get in my way and prevent me from using it myself.

    Could you do the Windows Insider thing?

    Sure, but that's not the point.

    I guess I would love to see the carriers themselves get out of the hand set selling business. Europe doesn't seem to have this problem where the carriers need to get in the way of device working, so why do they need to here?

    Most if not all phones in Europe come unlocked. Sure you pay for them upfront (as many plans here now allow) and you pay for what you really want from the carrier - access. Access to the voice/SMS network, Access to the data network.

    Leave selling/supporting phones to the likes of Best Buy, etc.

    hell - it'd be awesome to see phones change to VOIP solutions completely. get rid of the whole Voice/SMS/MMS channels and do everything over the data channel - I think that's how the new Google Fi system works.



  • @Dashrender said:

    I guess I would love to see the carriers themselves get out of the hand set selling business. Europe doesn't seem to have this problem where the carriers need to get in the way of device working, so why do they need to here?

    Profits



  • @JaredBusch said:

    @Dashrender said:

    I guess I would love to see the carriers themselves get out of the hand set selling business. Europe doesn't seem to have this problem where the carriers need to get in the way of device working, so why do they need to here?

    1. Profits

    You forgot steps 1 and 2

    πŸ˜›



  • @Dashrender said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    @Dashrender said:

    I guess I would love to see the carriers themselves get out of the hand set selling business. Europe doesn't seem to have this problem where the carriers need to get in the way of device working, so why do they need to here?

    1. Profits

    You forgot steps 1 and 2

    πŸ˜›

    So did the carriers.



  • You missed the South Park underpants gnomes joke.
    😞



  • @JaredBusch said:

    @Dashrender said:

    I guess I would love to see the carriers themselves get out of the hand set selling business. Europe doesn't seem to have this problem where the carriers need to get in the way of device working, so why do they need to here?

    Profits

    And lack of regulations. European laws are what stop the carriers there from doing it, not a lack of desiring profits. EU protections go a long way here, ISP oversight is a major thing.





  • @nadnerB said:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/18/w10m_deprecated_features/
    Full list referred to in ^ https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-specifications#featdeprphone
    (You have to select 'mobile'... GG MS)

    For consumers, the obvious social networks integration is the most obvious missing feature. Notifications won’t work on contact tiles, and Cortana is only half finished – it doesn’t (in its current state) search the device any longer. Just the web and the cloud.

    So it's taken this long and that's still not finished? What are they doing?



  • @johnhooks said:

    @nadnerB said:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/18/w10m_deprecated_features/
    Full list referred to in ^ https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-specifications#featdeprphone
    (You have to select 'mobile'... GG MS)

    For consumers, the obvious social networks integration is the most obvious missing feature. Notifications won’t work on contact tiles, and Cortana is only half finished – it doesn’t (in its current state) search the device any longer. Just the web and the cloud.

    So it's taken this long and that's still not finished? What are they doing?

    Looking at that list, I think they may have given the Pirate Order a while ago.



  • "Maps is better", "email is a little faster", and "Edge is (usually) faster."

    Wow. Great job, no one cares about two out of the three things that they've improved ( I guess you are forced to care about Bing maps since you can't use Google Maps).

    While everyone else is implementing monthly security updates, fingerprint scanners, and even infrared cameras, Microsoft has made your email a tiny bit faster.



  • @johnhooks said:

    "Maps is better", "email is a little faster", and "Edge is (usually) faster."

    Wow. Great job, no one cares about two out of the three things that they've improved ( I guess you are forced to care about Bing maps since you can't use Google Maps).

    I really liked HERE Maps and I am very much disappointed that it's not supported in Windows 10 (all versions). I guess I'll have to look at Microsoft/Bing Maps


Log in to reply