NFS Target Scheduled Backup to USB connected to Windows



  • So here is a question for the community that I've just kind of thought about and was wondering what might be recommended.

    From my XO server, I'm backing up to a CentOS VM running a NFS Share as my Delta Backup Repo.

    What I want to do is on a nightly basis have a scheduled task run, that would do a mirror copy of the NFS Share to a USB Drive connected to my Windows 7 Desktop.

    At the moment I don't have NFS installed on Windows, and its not out of the options to install it.

    At the moment I can access the NFS Share using WinSCP, and copy from the NFS Share to my windows PC without issue, but I don't believe I can schedule this.

    Anyone have any recommendations?



  • Write a batch file to run WinSCP, and put the batch file in scheduler? That or learn how to use power shell properly.



  • Why not create a SMB share at the same place the NFS share is. Then you can use Windows tools to do the copy.



  • @Dashrender said:

    Why not create a SMB share at the same place the NFS share is. Then you can use Windows tools to do the copy.

    I was assuming @DustinB3403 wanted to avoid SAMBA.... yeah, I know, stop assuming!



  • @DustinB3403 said:

    At the moment I can access the NFS Share using WinSCP, and copy from the NFS Share to my windows PC without issue, but I don't believe I can schedule this.

    WinSCP can be scheduled. We are using it here to off-site several backups. I can take a look and see what all it takes to do that if you want.



  • @dafyre said:

    @DustinB3403 said:

    At the moment I can access the NFS Share using WinSCP, and copy from the NFS Share to my windows PC without issue, but I don't believe I can schedule this.

    WinSCP can be scheduled. We are using it here to off-site several backups. I can take a look and see what all it takes to do that if you want.

    That would be awesome.



  • @travisdh1 said:

    @Dashrender said:

    Why not create a SMB share at the same place the NFS share is. Then you can use Windows tools to do the copy.

    I was assuming @DustinB3403 wanted to avoid SAMBA.... yeah, I know, stop assuming!

    Yeah don't assume you ass 😛



  • @travisdh1 said:

    Write a batch file to run WinSCP, and put the batch file in scheduler? That or learn how to use power shell properly.

    I'm pretty comfortable with Powershell and could probably figure it out, but wasn't that invested in trying to do it.



  • From Windows Batch File: sendBackup.bat

    @echo off
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\WinSCP.exe" /console /script=c:\drivers\scripts\send.info
    

    Contents of send.info:

    option batch on
    option confirm off
    open [email protected]
    option transfer binary
    put drive:\path\to\folder\*.*
    close
    exit
    

    From my discussion with the colleague... You'll need to run this as whatever user the backup job is going to run under, since the WinSCP settings are per user. (I think you'll need to set up the connection to the backup host manually)

    And change the put drive:\path\to\folder. to __get /path/to/backups/.

    And you should be good to go. If you can't get it going, let me know.



  • @DustinB3403 said:

    At the moment I can access the NFS Share using WinSCP, and copy from the NFS Share to my windows PC without issue, but I don't believe I can schedule this.

    With PuTTY you can.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @DustinB3403 said:

    At the moment I can access the NFS Share using WinSCP, and copy from the NFS Share to my windows PC without issue, but I don't believe I can schedule this.

    With PuTTY you can.

    Care to elaborate?



  • @DustinB3403 said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @DustinB3403 said:

    At the moment I can access the NFS Share using WinSCP, and copy from the NFS Share to my windows PC without issue, but I don't believe I can schedule this.

    With PuTTY you can.

    Care to elaborate?

    PuTTY comes with a command line SCP client.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @DustinB3403 said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @DustinB3403 said:

    At the moment I can access the NFS Share using WinSCP, and copy from the NFS Share to my windows PC without issue, but I don't believe I can schedule this.

    With PuTTY you can.

    Care to elaborate?

    PuTTY comes with a command line SCP client.

    I never noticed / knew that!



  • @dafyre said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @DustinB3403 said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @DustinB3403 said:

    At the moment I can access the NFS Share using WinSCP, and copy from the NFS Share to my windows PC without issue, but I don't believe I can schedule this.

    With PuTTY you can.

    Care to elaborate?

    PuTTY comes with a command line SCP client.

    I never noticed / knew that!

    Took me like a decade or so before someone pointed it out to me recently too 🙂



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @dafyre said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @DustinB3403 said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @DustinB3403 said:

    At the moment I can access the NFS Share using WinSCP, and copy from the NFS Share to my windows PC without issue, but I don't believe I can schedule this.

    With PuTTY you can.

    Care to elaborate?

    PuTTY comes with a command line SCP client.

    I never noticed / knew that!

    Took me like a decade or so before someone pointed it out to me recently too 🙂

    it's robocopy all over again 😛