Mangocon Network Topics

• At the potential of working with Mangocon, what would be some good topics you guys would like to see for the Networking topic?

Keep in mind that these are 1 hour sessions if I understand correctly.

• VLAN implementation (planning, implementing, and scenarios that necessitate their use)
    • Managing VoIP traffic (QoS, if/when to VLAN, hosted or local, etc...)
    • VPNs (types, differences, and use cases)

• Network monitoring and troubleshooting would be an interesting thing to hear someone talk about.

• OK - manage QOS for VOIP traffic on a flat network (no VLANs)

Of course you can't manage the internet side of things, just the local.

• For those who are interested in Network Monitoring, do you have a preference for platform?

• @dafyre said:

For those who are interested in Network Monitoring, do you have a preference for platform?

Open source would likely be the best option, unless a vendor is willing to put something up to test with that you can work on and teach with.

• Nagios (community) and the most useful addins to make it a functional system for "most" network administrators would be really useful.

• @dafyre said:

For those who are interested in Network Monitoring, do you have a preference for platform?

What kind of monitoring?
    ping tests?
    bandwidth utiltization?
    Logs?

• @Dashrender said:

@dafyre said:

What kind of monitoring?
    ping tests?
    bandwidth utiltization?
    Logs?

I would suggest something that could include Ping test, CPU, Memory, and Network utilization, Disk IOPS, and other Performance Metrics using scripts, or Zabbix.

Logging would be an added bonus.

• Best practices for detecting viruses through LAN traffic would be interesting. I guess that would be too specific (to wireshark) though considering we are mostly interested in open source and that's the best in town afaik

• @wirestyle22 said:

Best practices for detecting viruses through LAN traffic would be interesting. I guess that would be too specific (to wireshark) though considering we are mostly interested in open source and that's the best in town afaik

Wireshark is best-in-class for paid solutsions as well, I think. There are several commercial solutions that integrated nicely with it.

• @Dashrender said:

OK - manage QOS for VOIP traffic on a flat network (no VLANs)

What about WAN optimization/acceleration stuff?

• @wirestyle22 said:

@Dashrender said:

OK - manage QOS for VOIP traffic on a flat network (no VLANs)

What about WAN optimization/acceleration stuff?

I don't have a lot of experience with stuff like that, but it would be a good topic.