Confessions of a Systems Administrator



  • Confess anything from worst parts of your job to the worst part of your configuration and why you can't change it. I'll go first.

    My server room is cooled by a typical consumer grade window unit that management refuses to change. It broke Friday without me knowing. I came in today (Monday) and my server room was 85 degrees and climbing. They don't listen to me and then still hold me responsible for the end results.



  • My server room's cooling isn't isolated from the rest of the building HVAC, and it is normally sits around ~80 degrees.

    --edit-- (addendum)

    So how quickly did you do the fan shuffle? We had a liebert unit that seemed to go down every few months at my previous place of employment. Our server room would spike from 68 degrees to 95+ in about a 45 minute time frame. We had a portable AC unit we would turn on and then shuffle a series of fans into the hall to help pull hot air out.

    Quick way to kill an entire day's productivity.


  • Service Provider

    @wirestyle22 said:

    My server room is cooled by a typical consumer grade window unit that management refuses to change. It broke Friday without me knowing. I came in today (Monday) and my server room was 85 degrees and climbing. They don't listen to me and then still hold me responsible for the end results.

    I once interviewed at a place that had their AC unit fail in their little, glass-encased data centre of the office on a Friday night. There were a LOT of servers in there. They had no monitoring or automation. The room was tiny and all glass so that everyone could see it.

    It had gotten hot enough that the wires started to melt and burn. Every single device in it was destroyed.



  • @RamblingBiped said:

    My server room's cooling isn't isolated from the rest of the building HVAC, and it is normally sits around ~80 degrees.

    --edit-- (addendum)

    So how quickly did you do the fan shuffle? We had a liebert unit that seemed to go down every few months at my previous place of employment. Our server room would spike from 68 degrees to 95+ in about a 45 minute time frame. We had a portable AC unit we would turn on and then shuffle a series of fans into the hall to help pull hot air out.

    Quick way to kill an entire day's productivity.

    I think about a year and a half it worked--which is surprising for a consumer grade wall unit. I came in today (5 mins ago) and it broke again. They have to order it online and I'm sure it will take at least 3 days. I have the server room door wide open with my own personal industrial fan blowing all of the air out of it. Luckily its cold here in NJ.

    smh



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @wirestyle22 said:

    My server room is cooled by a typical consumer grade window unit that management refuses to change. It broke Friday without me knowing. I came in today (Monday) and my server room was 85 degrees and climbing. They don't listen to me and then still hold me responsible for the end results.

    I once interviewed at a place that had their AC unit fail in their little, glass-encased data centre of the office on a Friday night. There were a LOT of servers in there. They had no monitoring or automation. The room was tiny and all glass so that everyone could see it.

    It had gotten hot enough that the wires started to melt and burn. Every single device in it was destroyed.

    I bet that smelled magnificent!



  • I secretly change users passwords forcing them to provide a new one from time to time.....

    😹



  • This one time, actually, May of 2009, I created a RAID 5 array using 1 TB drives. To be completely fair, I didn't have an option on which raid level to use, the NAS thought it knew better. That NAS is no longer around, and good riddance.



  • Exchange update at 5:30PM on friday. What could go wrong?

    0_1455039575712_55602630.jpg


  • Service Provider

    @travisdh1 said:

    This one time, actually, May of 2009, I created a RAID 5 array using 1 TB drives. To be completely fair, I didn't have an option on which raid level to use, the NAS thought it knew better. That NAS is no longer around, and good riddance.

    What disclose what horrible NAS vendor that was?



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @travisdh1 said:

    This one time, actually, May of 2009, I created a RAID 5 array using 1 TB drives. To be completely fair, I didn't have an option on which raid level to use, the NAS thought it knew better. That NAS is no longer around, and good riddance.

    What disclose what horrible NAS vendor that was?

    I think it was a Seagate of some sort.


  • Service Provider

    Ah yes, I believe that those, like WD, are still RAID 5 only.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    Ah yes, I believe that those, like WD, are still RAID 5 only.

    STILL!? Just shoot me now.


  • Service Provider

    @travisdh1 said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    Ah yes, I believe that those, like WD, are still RAID 5 only.

    STILL!? Just shoot me now.

    Last that I knew. They promised us some demos back at SpiceWorld 2014. We've been waiting for two years for them to arrive. They've stopped talking to us, we've asked a few times but radio silence.

    They've switched from being community friendly to having their bulldog in Germany pushing RAID 5 as the best thing since sliced bread in public, so it looks like their "sell RE drives and put them in RAID 5 to hide the cost" strategy has replaced their "get good feedback" strategy.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.