Time Configuration for HP 2920-48G

• I am working on setting up a very basic config for our new HP switches. What is considered best practices for maintaining time? There seem to be quite a few options and I am wondering which typically is used.

• Usually set it up to grab time from a domain controller or locally hosted NTP server.

• I used this when I got sick of the log file times not being correct...

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/56790-setting-up-ntp-on-hp-switches

• Yea that is what I followed and it didn't work. 45 minutes later I realized this is because this is an isolated stack of switches that is not plugged into the domain yet..... Hard to get a time when they cant talk with the ntp server!!

• @bbiAngie said:

Yea that is what I followed and it didn't work. 45 minutes later I realized this is because this is an isolated stack of switches that is not plugged into the domain yet..... Hard to get a time when they cant talk with the ntp server!!

facepalm

Glad you got it sorted out eventually. 🙂

• @lhatsynot said:

@bbiAngie said:

Yea that is what I followed and it didn't work. 45 minutes later I realized this is because this is an isolated stack of switches that is not plugged into the domain yet..... Hard to get a time when they cant talk with the ntp server!!

facepalm

You really have to love those moments when you are starting to get really frustrated then 30 seconds later you think "Oh my, I am a f-in idiot."

• @bbiAngie said:

@lhatsynot said:

@bbiAngie said:

facepalm

You really have to love those moments when you are starting to get really frustrated then 30 seconds later you think "Oh my, I am a f-in idiot."

I worry if I don't have at least one of those a day, lol.