Can Full Minecraft and MineCraft Pocket Edition PE Clients Share the Same Server?



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @Dashrender said:

    huh - i didn't know the Pocket Edition could play on anything other than the device itself. Good to know.

    I didn't either but I found server settings when poking around the other day and found my nephew playing a game online with someone so knew there had to be a way.

    I had a pocketmine server up for my kids prior to the cross platform change to the Pocketedition.

    You can now play the PocketEdition with Windows 10 Edition. I have not looked lately to see if Pocketmine has updated for compatibility with that or not yet.



  • @JaredBusch said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @Dashrender said:

    huh - i didn't know the Pocket Edition could play on anything other than the device itself. Good to know.

    I didn't either but I found server settings when poking around the other day and found my nephew playing a game online with someone so knew there had to be a way.

    I had a pocketmine server up for my kids prior to the cross platform change to the Pocketedition.

    You can now play the PocketEdition with Windows 10 Edition. I have not looked lately to see if Pocketmine has updated for compatibility with that or not yet.

    According to CPO of Microsoft, PE and the new Windows 10 Edition are not compatible. I think this means that the Windows 10 Edition isn't compatible with the normal version either, but I'm only guessing there.





  • I'm interested in this because the kids have been asking for the PC version so they could play with their friends.

    I will admit to also knowing nothing about MC! 🙂 Other than I don't understand the allure of it.



  • @scottalanmiller To be clear, the PocketEdition (phones & tablets) is only compatible with Windows 10 Edition.

    Windows 10 Edition is not compatible with the standard MineCraft either.

    Anyone who owns the full version of MinceCraft can get Windows 10 edition for free by clicking a redeem button on the Majong homepage when signed into their account.



  • These servers are down because I have not updated pocketmine but as you can see, it has had the functionality.

    0_1451665811850_image.png



  • Something else to play with today.

    Hmmm, upgrade Mac to SSD or install Mincecraft server. Hmmm....



  • @BRRABill said:

    Something else to play with today.

    Hmmm, upgrade Mac to SSD or install Mincecraft server. Hmmm....

    Probably not the later if you are referring to a PocketMine server..

    ouMGIoX.jpg



  • Same question I have. I've been hitting up Jimmy T. over on SW about it and he's been able to send me some links to step by step sites. I can't get the PE version to work yet but the full version works great.



  • @lhatsynot said:

    Same question I have. I've been hitting up Jimmy T. over on SW about it and he's been able to send me some links to step by step sites. I can't get the PE version to work yet but the full version works great.

    I had a PE server up back in the spring back when it was version 0.10 or so. Then all the new changes broke the server and I just have not updated it.



  • @JaredBusch said:

    @lhatsynot said:

    Same question I have. I've been hitting up Jimmy T. over on SW about it and he's been able to send me some links to step by step sites. I can't get the PE version to work yet but the full version works great.

    I had a PE server up back in the spring back when it was version 0.10 or so. Then all the new changes broke the server and I just have not updated it.

    So you still have a 0.10 version running?



  • @Dashrender said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    @lhatsynot said:

    Same question I have. I've been hitting up Jimmy T. over on SW about it and he's been able to send me some links to step by step sites. I can't get the PE version to work yet but the full version works great.

    I had a PE server up back in the spring back when it was version 0.10 or so. Then all the new changes broke the server and I just have not updated it.

    So you still have a 0.10 version running?

    I could boot it up yes. The VM has been powered down for a while as my children's iOS devices have been updated past .0.10



  • @JaredBusch said:

    @Dashrender said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    @lhatsynot said:

    Same question I have. I've been hitting up Jimmy T. over on SW about it and he's been able to send me some links to step by step sites. I can't get the PE version to work yet but the full version works great.

    I had a PE server up back in the spring back when it was version 0.10 or so. Then all the new changes broke the server and I just have not updated it.

    So you still have a 0.10 version running?

    I could boot it up yes. The VM has been powered down for a while as my children's iOS devices have been updated past .0.10

    aww - so the PE must match the server side. ok.



  • @Dashrender said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    @Dashrender said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    @lhatsynot said:

    Same question I have. I've been hitting up Jimmy T. over on SW about it and he's been able to send me some links to step by step sites. I can't get the PE version to work yet but the full version works great.

    I had a PE server up back in the spring back when it was version 0.10 or so. Then all the new changes broke the server and I just have not updated it.

    So you still have a 0.10 version running?

    I could boot it up yes. The VM has been powered down for a while as my children's iOS devices have been updated past .0.10

    aww - so the PE must match the server side. ok.

    Not always exactly match, but there were server breaking changes in between.



  • Thanks for so much info. I've now gotten Minecraft PE on an Amazon Fire TV set up hosting a local game and Minecraft Windows 10 Edition connected to it. So my kids can now play with each other locally in the house for the first time. Slowly getting all of the pieces assembled for good Minecraft gaming.



  • I installed the latest stable PocketMine server and nothing will connect to it. Do you think that I need to be on a development branch or something?



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    I installed the latest stable PocketMine server and nothing will connect to it. Do you think that I need to be on a development branch or something?

    This is different from the Amazon setup you had earlier?



  • @Dashrender said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I installed the latest stable PocketMine server and nothing will connect to it. Do you think that I need to be on a development branch or something?

    This is different from the Amazon setup you had earlier?

    PE is what runs on my Fire TV and Fire tablets. But earlier today I only got them to do LOCAL multi player. Which is okay, but not what we want. This is a full server.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @Dashrender said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I installed the latest stable PocketMine server and nothing will connect to it. Do you think that I need to be on a development branch or something?

    This is different from the Amazon setup you had earlier?

    PE is what runs on my Fire TV and Fire tablets. But earlier today I only got them to do LOCAL multi player. Which is okay, but not what we want. This is a full server.

    Right, you can easily setup a PE server via the PocketMine setup. I reallyneed to update my old server for my kids. they keep asking for "Friend Land" back.



  • @JaredBusch said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @Dashrender said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I installed the latest stable PocketMine server and nothing will connect to it. Do you think that I need to be on a development branch or something?

    This is different from the Amazon setup you had earlier?

    PE is what runs on my Fire TV and Fire tablets. But earlier today I only got them to do LOCAL multi player. Which is okay, but not what we want. This is a full server.

    Right, you can easily setup a PE server via the PocketMine setup. I reallyneed to update my old server for my kids. they keep asking for "Friend Land" back.

    Easy... except the docs don't work 🙂 I've got working ones now, I'm posting tomorrow. It's super simple once you figure out what is wrong with the official ones (that you can't be on the stable branch.)



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @Dashrender said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I installed the latest stable PocketMine server and nothing will connect to it. Do you think that I need to be on a development branch or something?

    This is different from the Amazon setup you had earlier?

    PE is what runs on my Fire TV and Fire tablets. But earlier today I only got them to do LOCAL multi player. Which is okay, but not what we want. This is a full server.

    Right, you can easily setup a PE server via the PocketMine setup. I reallyneed to update my old server for my kids. they keep asking for "Friend Land" back.

    Easy... except the docs don't work 🙂 I've got working ones now, I'm posting tomorrow. It's super simple once you figure out what is wrong with the official ones (that you can't be on the stable branch.)

    I have an existing working server, I assume I just need to pull updated code. That is all I ever had to do in the past to update.



  • The latest prod release did not work, would not connect in the least. Moved to development, which is like over a year newer and it worked like a charm.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    The latest prod release did not work, would not connect in the least. Moved to development, which is like over a year newer and it worked like a charm.

    Sadly, that is normal it seems.



  • I wasn't too shocked. It seemed like it might have been an issue.



  • So a follow up question then... can Minecraft on the Playstation 3 connect to a full Minecraft server?



  • I don't think so. I know the 360 edition requires it's own servers over Xbox Live... I was fairly certain the PS3 edition could only connect to other PS3s and the maybe the PS Vita.