Smell of ozone after installing new UPS.



  • As some of you might have noticed I just installed a new Eaton 5s1500 in my office.

    When plugging the battery in there was the pretty typical pop of electricity with the connection. But that was 20+ mins ago and there is still a smell of ozone in my office.

    Should I be concerned?



  • mmm, ozone smell. I think you're ok - just let us know if you pass out.



  • Tagging the Eaton folks..

    @JColeKen
    @WINDSO
    @mdecamp



  • @Nic said:

    mmm, ozone smell. I think you're ok - just let us know if you pass out.

    uh.. gee thanks.
    I think.



  • ozone or new electronics getting warm?

    Any hot spots on it?

    Don't forget it'll be going like stink right now charging up that battery



  • RMA time, no reason to dick around with busted gear in a production environment.



  • @MattSpeller said:

    ozone or new electronics getting warm?

    Any hot spots on it?

    Don't forget it'll be going like stink right now charging up that battery

    Nothing warmer than expected.

    The battery is listed as 77% full.



  • @Dashrender said:

    @MattSpeller said:

    ozone or new electronics getting warm?

    Any hot spots on it?

    Don't forget it'll be going like stink right now charging up that battery

    Nothing warmer than expected.

    The battery is listed as 77% full.

    I think you're fine unless it's really horrendous - probably just all the components warming up for the first time. Those things really suck down some current when charging the battery and running the PC.



  • The smell of ozone always makes me think of my childhood model railroad!



  • @scottalanmiller it makes me think of all those times I used the wrong power supply on a guitar pedal and fried it.... like right before halloween this year....



  • @MattSpeller said:

    @Dashrender said:

    @MattSpeller said:

    ozone or new electronics getting warm?

    Any hot spots on it?

    Don't forget it'll be going like stink right now charging up that battery

    Nothing warmer than expected.

    The battery is listed as 77% full.

    I think you're fine unless it's really horrendous - probably just all the components warming up for the first time. Those things really suck down some current when charging the battery and running the PC.

    This, I did this in an enclosed small room and the smell of ozone was overpowering when first bringing up fresh out-of-the-box UPSs (Eatons) not sure if it is normal or not but there were no long term effects. Other then having to leave the door open for a few days.



  • I've never trusted the smell, if it's lasted for more than a few minutes, I'd start processing an RMA. Or at the very minimum get the vendor on the phone to confirm.



  • OK it's 16 hours later and it's still here.



  • @coliver said:

    @MattSpeller said:

    @Dashrender said:

    @MattSpeller said:

    ozone or new electronics getting warm?

    Any hot spots on it?

    Don't forget it'll be going like stink right now charging up that battery

    Nothing warmer than expected.

    The battery is listed as 77% full.

    I think you're fine unless it's really horrendous - probably just all the components warming up for the first time. Those things really suck down some current when charging the battery and running the PC.

    This, I did this in an enclosed small room and the smell of ozone was overpowering when first bringing up fresh out-of-the-box UPSs (Eatons) not sure if it is normal or not but there were no long term effects. Other then having to leave the door open for a few days.

    Damn a few days? ug! I rarely leave my door open...



  • @Dashrender said:

    OK it's 16 hours later and it's still here.

    Oh... Still as strong as it was? If that is the case I would call the manufacturer or your reseller and start the RMA process.



  • @Dashrender said:

    @coliver said:

    @MattSpeller said:

    @Dashrender said:

    @MattSpeller said:

    ozone or new electronics getting warm?

    Any hot spots on it?

    Don't forget it'll be going like stink right now charging up that battery

    Nothing warmer than expected.

    The battery is listed as 77% full.

    I think you're fine unless it's really horrendous - probably just all the components warming up for the first time. Those things really suck down some current when charging the battery and running the PC.

    This, I did this in an enclosed small room and the smell of ozone was overpowering when first bringing up fresh out-of-the-box UPSs (Eatons) not sure if it is normal or not but there were no long term effects. Other then having to leave the door open for a few days.

    Damn a few days? ug! I rarely leave my door open...

    After the first day it was still barely noticeable by no means strong or overpowering. By the third day it was gone.



  • @coliver said:

    @Dashrender said:

    @coliver said:

    @MattSpeller said:

    @Dashrender said:

    @MattSpeller said:

    ozone or new electronics getting warm?

    Any hot spots on it?

    Don't forget it'll be going like stink right now charging up that battery

    Nothing warmer than expected.

    The battery is listed as 77% full.

    I think you're fine unless it's really horrendous - probably just all the components warming up for the first time. Those things really suck down some current when charging the battery and running the PC.

    This, I did this in an enclosed small room and the smell of ozone was overpowering when first bringing up fresh out-of-the-box UPSs (Eatons) not sure if it is normal or not but there were no long term effects. Other then having to leave the door open for a few days.

    Damn a few days? ug! I rarely leave my door open...

    After the first day it was still barely noticeable by no means strong or overpowering. By the third day it was gone.

    My door is the control door to our data closet. I rarely leave it open, even when I'm inside. So I suppose I've trapped the smell in here with me.

    I'll leave the door open while I'm here today and we'll see what happens.

    and damnit.. now I have to go fishing for the box..