Who Is Breaking Into My Steam Account



  • Seriously, there is SO much security around my Steam account. Is Steam hacking like a major problem? Are people trying to play my games or something? Nothing that I do in my regular life has this level of security. 2FA for everything, even commenting on threads. Why is Steam so secure and things like, you know, my bank not so much?



  • I had a 6 character all lower case Steam password for YEARS until last year when 2FA notified me someone logged in.

    Agreed, banks are slow to change.



  • @MattSpeller said:

    I had a 6 character all lower case Steam password for YEARS until last year when 2FA notified me someone logged in.

    Agreed, banks are slow to change.

    What did they do? Post silly reviews as you?



  • @scottalanmiller I happened to be reading beside my PC when it happened so they didn't have long.



  • They could buy $5000 in steam games....



  • Post your username and password here, I'll see what I can do.....



  • @anonymous said:

    Post your username and password here, I'll see what I can do.....


    I did, but it's star'd out - anyone know how to fix that?



  • How are they getting into your steam account? Using your own password or something?



  • @dafyre in my case my username is not very common and the password was easy - surprised it took that long actually.



  • I used a crazy password when I first made my account there... you can actually use spaces in your passwords. 🙂

    Edit... No... My password is not 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8...



  • You all are missing the point of @scottalanmiller's post.

    Which is WTF is the point of the level of security to use Steam.

    Yeah banks are slow and bad (hence the Java issues mentioned a few weeks back) and that Stupid Trusteer thing.

    But they are a regulated industry meeting some type of mandated minimum security.

    Why is Steam so f[moderated] complicated?



  • @JaredBusch said:

    Why is Steam so f[moderated] complicated?

    Exactly. 2FA every time I go to the site to comment on a thread is a bit extreme.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @JaredBusch said:

    Why is Steam so f[moderated] complicated?

    Exactly. 2FA every time I go to the site to comment on a thread is a bit extreme.

    I don't think I've ever posted in that community. I also never have to do the 2FA except for the first time logging into a new computer or once every two weeks.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    Exactly. 2FA every time I go to the site to comment on a thread is a bit extreme.

    Typical user, always complaining about security measures.

    JOKE JOKE JOKE



  • There is a huge amount of Steam hacking, and these are accounts where you've spent thousands of dollars in games. But yeah, they put banks to shame.



  • @Nic said:

    There is a huge amount of Steam hacking, and these are accounts where you've spent thousands of dollars in games. But yeah, they put banks to shame.

    Someone broke into yours and bought loads of crazy games!



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @Nic said:

    There is a huge amount of Steam hacking, and these are accounts where you've spent thousands of dollars in games. But yeah, they put banks to shame.

    Someone broke into yours and bought loads of crazy games!

    Yeah it was my multiple personality disorder 🙂



  • @JaredBusch said:

    You all are missing the point of @scottalanmiller's post.

    Which is WTF is the point of the level of security to use Steam.

    Yeah banks are slow and bad (hence the Java issues mentioned a few weeks back) and that Stupid Trusteer thing.

    But they are a regulated industry meeting some type of mandated minimum security.

    Why is Steam so f[moderated] complicated?

    Pissed off, haxing, 12yo Counter-n00b players



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @Nic said:

    There is a huge amount of Steam hacking, and these are accounts where you've spent thousands of dollars in games. But yeah, they put banks to shame.

    Someone broke into yours and bought loads of crazy games!

    OR...
    Loaded your MMORPG profile and DESTROYED hundreds of hours of character levelling



  • Ha ha, yeah. that must be the plan.



  • @scottalanmiller I'll take a stab at that.

    Security is something that we all need to start taking much more seriously. I'm guessing that someone high up in Steam probably had their account hacked. They decided that didn't want those kinds of issues at Steam, so here we are.

    Sadly I feel that 2FA is something that should be pretty much anywhere on the web today in places that can at least financially damage you, if not worse.



  • I wanted to also add, it's only through places like Google and Steam that we will see the eventual mass adoption and acceptance of things like 2FA.

    People don't want to be inconvenienced by these silly things - they don't understand how vulnerable they really are. We hear about hundreds of thousands if not millions of people being hacked, or often more correctly being socially engineered. Things like 2FA will dramatically reduce the number of incidents.

    Why aren't banks doing it? Because they are still running on last century's tech. Sure a few that Scott has worked on/for might have some updated tech, but many don't. They are using ancient systems that can't handle newer options.



  • Yeah steam offered me 2FA, I haven't gotten around to it, but should.

    I think the bigger concern (from steam) is the threat of someone getting into your account, and gifting a ton of expensive games.

    Obviously this would be traceable, but difficult to prove that "You" didn't gift those items.


Log in to reply