Home Surveillance System (Outdoors)



  • I've been thinking of installing some security cameras around my house. Not that we live in a terrible neighborhood (though we are right across the water from lovely Trenton, NJ) but it's amazing all the stuff you can catch on a camera. Our local police department actually has a registry of people with security cameras and will pull their footage if there is a crime in the area.

    Anyway, I am suuuuuuuuuuuuure some folks here have such a system, or are familiar.

    Not looking to break the bank. Just something simple, east to install, and moderately priced.



  • @BRRABill I use a synology as a Network Video Recorder for one of my offices, we use Vivotek cameras, but you can get cheaper cameras than those.



  • Look into the Nest security cameras they seem pretty cool.

    Outside of that the Ubiquti NVR and cameras are really inexpensive and have a great image and build quality.



  • I don't have direct experience with these so take it literally when I say "check these out" just because I know that they look interesting...

    Ubiquiti and Netgear have nice looking options and are vendors that I otherwise like. If it were me, I would start there.



  • I should mention I will probably need a couple of these, and they'll need to be outside.

    Those ones mentioned are pretty pricey, at least to what I was thinking. Is that the entry level price for this space?



  • @BRRABill said:

    I should mention I will probably need a couple of these, and they'll need to be outside.

    Those ones mentioned are pretty pricey, at least to what I was thinking. Is that the entry level price for this space?

    No, but I would say it is likely the entry level business class. You can certainly get cheaper consumer gear, I have no familiarity with that, though.



  • I was thinking ... how do you prevent people from stealing these.

    Then I thought, well, the camera would catch them. But perhaps it wouldn't, if they snuck around the house and took it from the ground.



  • @BRRABill said:

    I was thinking ... how do you prevent people from stealing these.

    Then I thought, well, the camera would catch them. But perhaps it wouldn't, if they snuck around the house and took it from the ground.

    Who watches the watchers 😉 You need enough cameras to look at each other.



  • Are these cameras typically wired, or Wifi?

    Also, do all of them need wired power?



  • Power is definitely needed. Most good ones will be wired and PoE.



  • Ubiquiti are PoE, that I know.



  • You'll pay a bit more but PoE is worth it in the long run. Having to run a single Cat 6 cable to the camera vs running a power cable and the network cable is nice. Ubiquti also sells a fairly inexpensive PoE switch to do this.



  • @coliver said:

    You'll pay a bit more but PoE is worth it in the long run. Having to run a single Cat 6 cable to the camera vs running a power cable and the network cable is nice. Ubiquti also sells a fairly inexpensive PoE switch to do this.

    Good to know.

    I can probably run Cat6 myself to anywhere in the house. Electrical cable is a whole different animal.



  • @coliver said:

    You'll pay a bit more but PoE is worth it in the long run.

    I see what you did there.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @coliver said:

    You'll pay a bit more but PoE is worth it in the long run.

    I see what you did there.

    LOL.



  • Also, how do you know WHERE to put the cameras? Obviously it's on a case-by-case basis, but say I have a regular rectangular house. How do I cover the entire outside while also keeping an eye on all the cameras?



  • @BRRABill said:

    Also, how do you know WHERE to put the cameras? Obviously it's on a case-by-case basis, but say I have a regular rectangular house. How do I cover the entire outside while also keeping an eye on all the cameras?

    Do you need 360degree viewing?

    Most systems will have a software viewer, just install on a PC and let it run. Also some will have mobile apps.



  • @hobbit666 said:

    Do you need 360degree viewing?

    Don't know. 🙂



  • I would say just cover main entrance(s), car maybe if on a drive by house. Then any side windows?.


  • Banned

    ring.com is a nice addition to a surveillance system as well.



  • Trendnet sells some very reasonably priced cameras, and gives away a Windows-based Server to manage multiple cameras for free. You can also use Zoneminder on a Linux-based system to manage them, I believe it works with all of the Trendnet models that are out there. Hikvision also makes very similarly spec'd devices at a much cheaper price and I believe you can use Zoneminder to manage those cameras as well.



  • How outdoors are you going? Pole mounted - fully exposed, or eaves of the house?



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    I don't have direct experience with these so take it literally when I say "check these out" just because I know that they look interesting...

    Ubiquiti and Netgear have nice looking options and are vendors that I otherwise like. If it were me, I would start there.

    I need to add a few here, and I am leaning towards Ubiquiti.



  • @gjacobse said:

    How outdoors are you going? Pole mounted - fully exposed, or eaves of the house?

    Not sure?

    We have a roofline, so I could put them up there under that.



  • Something to think of also,.. some cameras have the ability to have SD cards in them... Great and yet not so.

    Do want a NVR for the cameras?



  • @gjacobse

    Yeah I imagine I'll get a NAS and store to that. Or some sort of storage like that.

    I'm not climbing up on my roof to retrieve footage. 🙂



  • @BRRABill said:

    @gjacobse

    Yeah I imagine I'll get a NAS and store to that. Or some sort of storage like that.

    I'm not climbing up on my roof to retrieve footage. 🙂

    LOL,.. me either.



  • I live out in the country so I would recommend doing what a lot of people out here do - but trail cameras. It's just a fancy name for motion-activated cameras. They have a range of X and if anything moves in that range, they start recording and store all the footage in an SD card. You can get fairly decent ones for pretty reasonable prices at any sporting goods store or right on Amazon.



  • @Awkward-Gamer said:

    I live out in the country so I would recommend doing what a lot of people out here do - but trail cameras. It's just a fancy name for motion-activated cameras. They have a range of X and if anything moves in that range, they start recording and store all the footage in an SD card. You can get fairly decent ones for pretty reasonable prices at any sporting goods store or right on Amazon.

    They are really tiny too with good picture quality. You can hang them just about anywhere. A family member has 10-12 of them on his property.



  • We have friends who have them back in NY. Half the time they just catch drunk neighbours pissing in the woods.


Log in to reply