How do you stay organized



  • I'm looking to get more organized. I only make half hearted attempts to use my outlook calendar, and use evernote for some stuff. So I was wondering what does everyone here do or use?



  • I'm pretty disorganized in general, it is something that I really struggle with.

    I use SharePoint to document as much as possible and use tickets heavily to keep my workload organized. I use OneNote some.

    For home I keep a MediaWiki just for my wife and I to track everything that we do around the house from tax and bills to house repairs and whatever.

    I use calendaring a lot and make @Dominica put everything that we have planned on the calendar so that we can keep track of things.



  • do you have a shared calendar to Rackspace?



  • I am not organized by nature but my son and husband are and my son needed major structure as we homeschooled him.

    1. WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN, in the same place every time. In our house we have white boards everywhere. We have one for grocery lists, one for household chores one for To do when we leave the house next.
    2. For Work I WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN, in the same place every time... I have an undated organizer that is a full size notebook 2 pages per day. Even though I sit at a desk with 3 monitors, 2 tablets and a laptop I still would rather hand write quick notes. Every morning I read the day before, transfer any items not done to today and start on my day.
    3. ONENOTE is my life- I have a daily journal to keep track of what I have done every day. It's not even full sentences or grammatically correct just a list of what I did/who I talked to
    4. Use your calendar for everything. I have my work calendar and my personal calendar in my outlook and it syncs to my tablets and phone so that everything goes there and is synced so my life isn't a disaster.
    5. For reminders to do something at a certain time I use the reminder app that came on my phone or add a task to outlook to ding at me to remember to do something.

    For me the big key is to not to try and remember anything at all. The space in my head is needed for actual work and not for memory usage on things that could be written down and have an electronic device remind me about it.



  • No, we both have Exchange so we just invite each other to events. That way we remain treated as individuals because sometimes we do things together and sometimes not. But we can look at each other's calendars too.



  • so you moved your personal accounts to exchange no longer using rackspace?



  • @Dashrender said:

    so you moved your personal accounts to exchange no longer using rackspace?

    We both have both.



  • I've been using the Getting Things Done system religiously for a decade. I highly recommend it!



  • OneNote.. How did I survive without?

    I still struggle with the written/quick notes and jotting down things that don't make sense out of context later on. I am horrible about using Spiceworks to track all tickets as so many things are done on the fly and even away from my desk it takes too long to create a ticket instead of scribbling on a notepad and throwing it away later. I have contemplated scanning said notepad into my tickets but it all just becomes too bulky.

    OneNote and Outlook Calender keeps me organized enough to deal with my workload, other then that it's good intentions that I don't have time for.



  • I need to use OneNote more than I do.



  • @Nic said:

    I've been using the Getting Things Done system religiously for a decade. I highly recommend it!

    Had to look it up and it seems like a good system.

    The GTD method rests on the idea of moving planned tasks and projects out of the mind by recording them externally and then breaking them into actionable work items. This allows one to focus attention on taking action on tasks, instead of on recalling them.



  • @lance said:

    @Nic said:

    I've been using the Getting Things Done system religiously for a decade. I highly recommend it!

    Had to look it up and it seems like a good system.

    The GTD method rests on the idea of moving planned tasks and projects out of the mind by recording them externally and then breaking them into actionable work items. This allows one to focus attention on taking action on tasks, instead of on recalling them.

    It is, and that is the magic of it. It doesn't matter what system you use (I use Outlook and notepad) Once your brain knows you have a trusted system that you actually use, then it stops reminding you all the time of what you have to do.



  • ZenDesk for ticketing (WHMCS also forwards to ZD),

    RepairShopr for IT services (has reminders) and appointments via Google calendar

    Outlook's calendar with Google calendar imported for odds and ends.

    Have both Evernote and OneNote (moved to Sharepoint) for documentation and how to's from the last 4 years.



  • @Minion-Queen said:

    I am not organized by nature but my son and husband are and my son needed major structure as we homeschooled him.

    1. WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN, in the same place every time. In our house we have white boards everywhere. We have one for grocery lists, one for household chores one for To do when we leave the house next.
    2. For Work I WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN, in the same place every time... I have an undated organizer that is a full size notebook 2 pages per day. Even though I sit at a desk with 3 monitors, 2 tablets and a laptop I still would rather hand write quick notes. Every morning I read the day before, transfer any items not done to today and start on my day.
    3. ONENOTE is my life- I have a daily journal to keep track of what I have done every day. It's not even full sentences or grammatically correct just a list of what I did/who I talked to
    4. Use your calendar for everything. I have my work calendar and my personal calendar in my outlook and it syncs to my tablets and phone so that everything goes there and is synced so my life isn't a disaster.
    5. For reminders to do something at a certain time I use the reminder app that came on my phone or add a task to outlook to ding at me to remember to do something.

    For me the big key is to not to try and remember anything at all. The space in my head is needed for actual work and not for memory usage on things that could be written down and have an electronic device remind me about it.

    My wife follows number 1 and 2, but I will just let paper stack. That's why I had to do the electronic way. Life without #5 would be MADNESS!! If a client calls me to do something at a later date, I create them a ZenDesk ticket.



  • @technobabble said:

    RepairShopr for IT services (has reminders) and appointments via Google calendar

    Who is here in the MangoLassi community, by the way!



  • @Nic said:

    I've been using the Getting Things Done system religiously for a decade. I highly recommend it!

    THIS!! I can't emphasize enough how much of a life saver this is. It's quite literally saved my career and sanity. Read the book (or listen if you're an audiobook person). Enact the system and stick with it. You'll be more productive, less stressed, and may come out of it an entirely new person.



  • @alexntg said:

    @Nic said:

    I've been using the Getting Things Done system religiously for a decade. I highly recommend it!

    THIS!! I can't emphasize enough how much of a life saver this is. It's quite literally saved my career and sanity. Read the book (or listen if you're an audiobook person). Enact the system and stick with it. You'll be more productive, less stressed, and may come out of it an entirely new person.

    Agreed on saving my sanity. At the time I was a very stressed out sysadmin keeping everything in my head. Now, whenever I feel stressed at work I know that I need to update my to-do list and make sure everything is in order. Instant stress relief.


Log in to reply