Add Office 365 To Exchange Online?



  • I have Exchange Online (the $4/month) on a few domains.

    Can you add Office 365 (Office apps and ODfB) to select users?

    What is the best way to have, say, 10 e-mail accounts, but only give the full Office package to a few select users?

    Also, I am thinking of migrating my on-premise 3rd party Exchange-like server (MDaemon) to Exchange Online. Should I start another thread for that discussion? Or since I might also be looking for Office365 should I include it here?


  • Service Provider

    You can mix and match licenses all you want within your domain.

    This is my portal

    9gV1PFt.jpg


  • Service Provider

    1 E1, 1 Exchange Online, 5 E3


  • Service Provider

    @BRRABill said:

    Can you add Office 365 (Office apps and ODfB) to select users?

    Very important point of clarity... Office 365 refers to the subscription licensing service from Microsoft and not to specific features. Exchange Online is as much as part of Office 365 as any other component of the subscription offerings. If you start thinking of Sharepoint Online as Office 365 and Exchange Online as a unique separate entity you will get very confused. All of it is O365.


  • Service Provider

    As Jared said, with the Enterprise levels on O365 you get to mix and match on a per-user basis within a single domain (historically the non-enterprise accounts could not do this per domain but maybe this has been changed?)

    It is extremely common to get Exchange Online (which should be called E0 to make it easier to picture in the options lineup) for most users and E1 and E3 licenses for people as the features are needed.

    ODfB is not a product. ODfB is just an aspect of Sharepoint. So levels containing Sharepoint is what you look for for that.



  • So I started out with 1 license for :
    Exchange Online Plan 1

    What does that mean, exactly?


  • Service Provider

    @BRRABill said:

    So I started out with 1 license for :
    Exchange Online Plan 1

    What does that mean, exactly?

    It does not mean anything special. Simply that your Office365 domain currently only has 1 license available for assignment.


  • Service Provider

    Go buy another license. it is pretty straightforward


  • Service Provider

    d8AV4LM.jpg


  • Service Provider

    J6Sbrjz.jpg


  • Service Provider

    There are a lot more..

    This is highly unreadable, but jsut so you see what is available to buy..

    EFaOpLg.jpg



  • What is the difference between the Small Business Suite and the Enterprise? For some reason i thought you could not mix and match.

    I also seem to remember going with the Exchange Online because the "Small Business" couldn't support the hybrid type of setup I currently have.


  • Service Provider

    @BRRABill said:

    What is the difference between the Small Business Suite and the Enterprise? For some reason i thought you could not mix and match.

    It used to not be allowed. I have not had a need to purchase a mix so I do not know what happens at this time.

    I also seem to remember going with the Exchange Online because the "Small Business" couldn't support the hybrid type of setup I currently have.

    This is outside the scope of "what is purchasable" questions. This is a what is right for my needs question.



  • I guess what I mean is ... Office 365 Business Essentials looks similar to what I have, except it also has online versions of Office, and 1TB of ODfB. For $1 a month more.



  • @BRRABill said:

    I guess what I mean is ... Office 365 Business Essentials looks similar to what I have, except it also has online versions of Office, and 1TB of ODfB. For $1 a month more.

    My advice go for the Enterprise plans. As if later you want to move from Small Business to an E plan you will need to set-up a new account and transfer the data yourself. (it's happening to me now!)


  • Service Provider

    @hobbit666 said:

    @BRRABill said:

    I guess what I mean is ... Office 365 Business Essentials looks similar to what I have, except it also has online versions of Office, and 1TB of ODfB. For $1 a month more.

    My advice go for the Enterprise plans. As if later you want to move from Small Business to an E plan you will need to set-up a new account and transfer the data yourself. (it's happening to me now!)

    We've seen that happen to a lot of people. Unless you are really confident in never growing to that size, avoid the non-enterprise plans.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    We've seen that happen to a lot of people. Unless you are really confident in never growing to that size, avoid the non-enterprise plans.

    Considering we have 15 employees, I find it hard to believe we'd grow to that size.

    But I do remember not wanting the small business for some reason. So I might just stick with that.

    The $5 a month plan just seemed like such a better deal.


  • Service Provider

    @BRRABill said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    We've seen that happen to a lot of people. Unless you are really confident in never growing to that size, avoid the non-enterprise plans.

    Considering we have 15 employees, I find it hard to believe we'd grow to that size.

    But I do remember not wanting the small business for some reason. So I might just stick with that.

    The $5 a month plan just seemed like such a better deal.

    Really no big deal to go with the SMB plans for a small company.

    If you are actually growing large enough to need to go past that (from tiny like 15) then the expense of time to change will be worth it anyway.

    This goes along with @scottalanmiller's normal spiel of not buying for the future in my mind.



  • @JaredBusch

    I've learned we aren't even small business.

    15 puts us in the SOHO category!



  • @BRRABill said:

    15 puts us in the SOHO category!

    Though it seems like that caps at 10. So we are in the reaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllly small SMB market.


  • Service Provider

    @BRRABill said:

    @JaredBusch

    I've learned we aren't even small business.

    15 puts us in the SOHO category!

    Well honestly, the S in SMB is no different than the S in SOHO. The differnce is mentality IMO.


  • Service Provider

    @JaredBusch said:

    This goes along with @scottalanmiller's normal spiel of not buying for the future in my mind.

    It does, and when we are talking 15 people I agree. If we are talking 250, I'd be wary.



  • I have to admit, I never really gave any of the Office stuff much thought.

    But this weekend, I started moving my files off my laptop and onto ODfP (is that an acronym?), and I just used it to get the output from MInt to this forum (via my PC).

    I didn't realize, but with my OFfP plan I can also edit Office files. Pretty cool.

    Though I currently Googling how to turn the "autosave" feature off. Sometimes I don't want to autosave something!



  • Interesting.

    It does versioning. That is pretty cool as well.

    And why haven't I been doing all this? LOL.


  • Service Provider

    @BRRABill said:

    Interesting.

    It does versioning. That is pretty cool as well.

    And why haven't I been doing all this? LOL.

    No idea! A major benefit in systems like this is often "using them as intended." That doesn't apply 100% of the time, but vendors like MS or Google go through a lot of effort to define how they feel a system should be used and they put some crazy research and effort into that.



  • BTW: it turns out I do not think I can move from my "Exchange Online Plan 1" to "Office 365 Business Essentials".

    The switch plans wizard says I can do it, but from everything I have Googled, it cannot be done.

    I guess I could just give it a shot.



  • Perhaps a better question would be:

    What do people here do? License Exchange Online and other O365 services through Microsoft?

    It seemed that most people recommended going elsewhere for Exchange Online, mainly for the support. Is that also the case with the other MS products?


  • Service Provider

    @BRRABill said:

    BTW: it turns out I do not think I can move from my "Exchange Online Plan 1" to "Office 365 Business Essentials".>

    That has long been a limitation. You are always stuck to the "track" that you started with. Account migrations are nearly impossible in Office 365. Even when you can do them, they don't always go well.


  • Service Provider

    @BRRABill said:

    What do people here do? License Exchange Online and other O365 services through Microsoft?

    At NTG and most of our customers we use Enterprise plans so we can mix and match to our hearts' content.

    If you want a different "family" of account, you have to make the decision up front.


  • Service Provider

    @BRRABill said:

    It seemed that most people recommended going elsewhere for Exchange Online, mainly for the support. Is that also the case with the other MS products?

    WHO recommends that? That's completely crazy. I've never heard that recommmendation from anyone that wasn't looking to make a quick buck selling double cost services to suckers. I've literally never heard a credible IT person recommend any Exchange host except for Microsoft.

    Where are there "other" recommenders?



Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.