Dell R430 with PERC H730 support SSD? (Samsung 850 Pro)



  • Any one knows if Dell R430 w/ PERC H730 support Samsung 850 Pro?
    I want to run a VM for myself but I do not want to use the HDD that came with it. I heard that some PERC does not support TRIM and using SSD w/o TRIM is a bad idea. I also read from somewhere else that 850 PRO can sustain couple of years on card w/o TRIM. Any idea?



  • Your best bet is to get an EdgeSSD from XByte, the firmware on those will work with the PERC Controller.



  • Yeah, definitely reach out to @xByteSean and see what they can help you with.



  • @brianlittlejohn said:

    Your best bet is to get an EdgeSSD from XByte, the firmware on those will work with the PERC Controller.

    Are they enterprise grade SSD?

    @Dashrender said:

    Yeah, definitely reach out to @xByteSean and see what they can help you with.

    Do I message them or will they reply to this thread?



  • They should reply. They are enterprise grade SSDs.

    http://www.xbyte.com/Edge-Enterprise-SSD.aspx



  • @brianlittlejohn said:

    They should reply. They are enterprise grade SSDs.

    http://www.xbyte.com/Edge-Enterprise-SSD.aspx

    Thanks, I'll wait for their reply


  • Service Provider



  • This is becoming a common thread.

    DELL: LOWER YOUR SSD PRICES. :)



  • @BRRABill said:

    This is becoming a common thread.

    DELL: LOWER YOUR SSD PRICES. :)

    Though, they will never reach the levels of consumer based drives - so make sure to set expectations - but I don't expect them to be more than a few times consumer, not 10X, etc.



  • @BRRABill said:

    This is becoming a common thread.

    DELL: LOWER YOUR SSD PRICES. :)

    Holy shit yes. I've moaned about it to every Dell rep. Means more work for me and no SSD sales for them. Lose / lose.


  • Service Provider

    @Dashrender said:

    Though, they will never reach the levels of consumer based drives - so make sure to set expectations - but I don't expect them to be more than a few times consumer, not 10X, etc.

    This is very important. The lowest that Dell could ever get is to the regular cost of an enterprise SSD, plus the needed vendor markup plus the huge cost of their warranty service plans. So at a minimum, double that of the normal market. Often higher.



  • If they could approach the price of the EDGE SSDs that xByte sells, that would work.

    Would that be possible?



  • @BRRABill said:

    If they could approach the price of the EDGE SSDs that xByte sells, that would work.

    Would that be possible?

    Absolutely it's possible, and even likely as market pressure will drive them down as the competition does the same thing...



  • Can't wait for enterprise SSD price to goes down. I'm hopping SSD will one day replace HDD as USB replace CD/DVD as they replace floppy disks.


  • Service Provider

    @BRRABill said:

    If they could approach the price of the EDGE SSDs that xByte sells, that would work.

    Would that be possible?

    No, because you are comparing apples to oranges. Dell only sells fully supported components that fall under the same support contract as the server itself.

    You can never get the cost of that anywhere close to the cost of just a component.

    The cost of that Dell support is huge. That's why everything from them has always costed more, because you are paying for the support. That's the reason you are talking to Dell in the first place. If you did not want that kind of support you'd be looking at things like SuperMicro.


  • Vendor

    Hi @LAH3385,

    I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner! I notice that I started to reply yesterday and didn't hit send. Technology is only as good as the use, right?? :)

    Please email me [email protected] and I will get you in touch with someone on our side that can address your questions and discuss some of our benchmark results.



  • @Lyndsie_xByte

    I know your drives are compatible with the DELL servers (minus the yellow triangle in OMSA).

    How did you guys confirm they will flash amber when failing?



  • @BRRABill I believe they throw a SMART error at the controller, but you should double check that.



  • @BRRABill The Edge drives are a great alternative and even Intel DC drives are very popular running on the premise that Intel being such a large company knows the cost of not having their drives work and so in a situation where Dell changed their firmware...Intel would be devoting a very sizable amount of their resources to making it work again! Let me know if you have any questions about either one.



  • @MattSpeller said:

    @BRRABill I believe they throw a SMART error at the controller, but you should double check that.

    That's why I asked the source. :)



  • @BRRABill The error message will pop up saying "localhost: Fault detected on drive 0 in disk drive bay 1." and then a more detailed description. The amber light for Edge normally reads "non-Dell drive detected", that's all.



  • @mprftw said:

    The amber light for Edge normally reads "non-Dell drive detected", that's all.

    What do you mean?

    I was under the impression OMSA said "non-DELL drive" but the lights were green on the drive itself, and only went amber if there was an issue.

    That's why I was wondering how they tested it works on a failing drive.



  • @BRRABill I'm sorry, I mistyped. End-of-the-day brain functions yesterday! They greenlight in the server. They have a yellow triangle pop up in OpenManage that says "non Dell drive detected". They do not amberlight when they're working properly.



  • To add to the thread here, as many have already said any non-Dell enterprise class hard drive will show in OMSA as non-Dell with a yellow triangle exclamation point icon. This can be safely ignored if the drive has a green led and is being recognized by the raid controller and configurable. With that said, it is not really recommended to use consumer level parts on a Dell server as all support goes out the window, and typically the consumer ssd's will not have the longevity of the enterprise class ones. Its a situation of "it may work, but your kind of rolling the dice". Here at xByte we do sell Edge/xByte Branded ssd's at great prices to help save some cash on those really expensive enterprise class ssd hard drives. xByte works with edge to make sure these drives are compatible, and they even do extensive testing with our servers to verify they work.



  • @xByteSean I think his question is - do the drives show an amber light when the controller detects that they are failing or failed? or is that functionality lost?

    My additional question is, regardless of lights, assuming I setup some kind of email or logging alert, will I be notified when using Edge drives upon a failure either via email or logging?



  • @Dashrender, ah, ok to answer that yes if the led is flashing amber typically this indicates the drive has already failed, or SMART detection has been triggered so the drive will inevitably fail. In either situation the drive is put offline, so you loose that drive in the array. Also, yes you can absolutely set up email alerts for hardware failures/impending failure alerts. I believe OMSA has some of this functionality, but also through the iDrac interface can alerts be set up. Hope that answers it more clearly.



  • @xByteSean said:

    @Dashrender, ah, ok to answer that yes if the led is flashing amber typically this indicates the drive has already failed, or SMART detection has been triggered so the drive will inevitably fail. In either situation the drive is put offline, so you loose that drive in the array. Also, yes you can absolutely set up email alerts for hardware failures/impending failure alerts. I believe OMSA has some of this functionality, but also through the iDrac interface can alerts be set up. Hope that answers it more clearly.

    I know/knew those could be setup and would work with Dell branded drives, I assume now that you are indicating that the reports also work for Edge based drives too?



  • My question was more: how did you test a failing drive would do that? It's more out of curiosity, since I have no way of testing that.

    Also, when the drive is failing, I don't think it typically takes it offline. Othewise, why would there be a failing state? Failing is typically the "hey dude replace this drive ASAP" type warning.

    Are the EDGE drives different?



  • Well SSD's likely just fail.

    There is probably very little room for a "failing state"



  • @DustinB3403

    I just mean in general, if a drive IS failing it shouldn't go offline. Or am I mistaken? I know the drives I currently use (from DELL) blink in a failing state but stay online. Just curious if that has changed, and it if is difference for the EDGE drives.



Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.