Server4You VPS Hosting



  • Hi All,

    I did some digging around tonight on a whim, looking for an alternative to [email protected] for full-fledged VPS hosting... I stumbled across Server4You (VPS price listing here http://www.server4you.com/vps)...

    I don't have any experience with them, but at $16 a month for 8gb of ram and 400GB storage (on Spinning Rust, or 200GB on SSD), that seems quite reasonable to me.

    Has anybody used this company before?


  • Service Provider

    I have not.

    You did not mention, and I did not follow the link because I am not that interested, but is this 1 vProc ? I assume so, just wondering.


  • Service Provider

    Here is the main pricing page:

    0_1447402517370_HDpricing.png


  • Service Provider

    They make a big deal about having the very latest OSes...

    0_1447402640275_uptodate.png

    But they only offer three, one of which is quite out of date (Ubuntu current is 15.10, which replaced 15.04, which replaced 14.10, which replaced 14.04.) Lots of people keep offering 14.04 because of the somewhat misleading LTS designation that Ubuntu themselves has stated is not what it sounds like and you don't "hold back", you need to update to stay current. Having both would be great, having only quite old is okay, but doesn't match their rhetoric.


  • Service Provider

    Prices are the same for SSD storage but you get less capacity. Surprised that they do not lead with this as this is generally the better deal, to me at least...

    0_1447402854790_ssdprices.png


  • Service Provider

    Did you notice that there are hidden fees for setup? These are not cloud servers, this is old fashioned VPS. You are not getting elastic capacity nor is the pricing strictly "per month." It's "pay for setup plus monthly." Which is perfectly fine but it means you are dealing with different use scenarios and the straight monthly pricing will be deceptively low. If you do certain, less flexible things with Amazon you'll get much lower prices too.

    0_1447403174507_hiddenfees.png


  • Service Provider

    The setup fee is $12. Trivial if you plan to treat this as a VPS and keep it for a year. Pretty big if you plan to treat it like cloud and create and destroy them hour to hour or day to day.


  • Service Provider

    vCores or vCPU are very meaningless measurements of CPU. You have no idea what the overprovisioning rate is so you could easily be getting only a single actual CPU for that price. And your memory could be going to platform swap. I doubt that they would do that, just be aware.

    Comparing to even the lowest cost serious cloud provider like Vultr, this is super cheap, but Vultr dedicates hardware cores to you, not vCPUs, for example. And 10Gb/s WAN instead of 100Mb/s. It is little things that make a difference. The only really outstanding feature on the Server4You is the amount of memory, that number is massively high for the price compared to any other service that I have seen.


  • Service Provider

    @dafyre said:

    I did some digging around tonight on a whim, looking for an alternative to [email protected] for full-fledged VPS hosting...

    The two that we use that are closest are DigitalOcean and Vultr.



  • I actually spoke with one of their chat reps last night and I'm writing them to ask about the $12 setup fee -- as if it is a one time fee or a fee that has to be paid every time I wipe & reload the OS.

    Where Server4You shines here is the storage. Equivalent plans on DO and Vulture that run ($20 on DO and Vulture) only come with 40 or 45 GB of storage.... on the $16 Server4You plan, you get 400GB on Spinning rust or 200GB on SATA.


  • Service Provider

    @dafyre said:

    Where Server4You shines here is the storage. Equivalent plans on DO and Vulture that run ($20 on DO and Vulture) only come with 40 or 45 GB of storage....

    Did you look at the Vultr STORAGE plans? We get a lot for very little money.

    0_1447425555546_vultrstorage.png



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @dafyre said:

    Where Server4You shines here is the storage. Equivalent plans on DO and Vulture that run ($20 on DO and Vulture) only come with 40 or 45 GB of storage....

    Did you look at the Vultr STORAGE plans? We get a lot for very little money.

    0_1447425555546_vultrstorage.png

    I might have to consider switching. This is what MNX.io (the company I'm using) has:

    0_1447425688367_mnx.png


  • Service Provider

    I am not saying that Vultr is the answer, just didn't want their specific SATA-based storage options overlooked as their pricing is fantastic, we've seen great performance on their boxes and the fast SSD vs. huge capacity SATA make for some nice options.


  • Service Provider

    A great option for multiple users on Vultr is to build an NFS storage server on their SATA product. Then use their fast SSD products for your normal servers and have them auto-mount the NFS from the storage node as a shared /home space.



  • I saw the storage plans, but question whether I would be able to use them as a regular VPS as well?

    Even so, the Server4You plan at the $22 ($20 on Vultur) tier, I can get 600GB storage (300GB if I want SSD), in addition to plenty of RAM, etc.

    You do raise a good point about over subscription on a VPS service though.


  • Service Provider

    @dafyre said:

    I saw the storage plans, but question whether I would be able to use them as a regular VPS as well?

    Where is the concern?


  • Service Provider

    @dafyre said:

    Even so, the Server4You plan at the $22 ($20 on Vultur) tier, I can get 600GB storage (300GB if I want SSD), in addition to plenty of RAM, etc.

    One thing that has become apparent (not because of this thread, just in general) is that depending on your mix of needs around CPU, memory and storage you can find yourself with totally different providers (until you get to the high end space where the services are extremely granular to prevent that from happening.)



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @dafyre said:

    I saw the storage plans, but question whether I would be able to use them as a regular VPS as well?

    Where is the concern?

    I guess the label that they are for storage. While that would be my primary use-case -- would I be able to SSH in and compile software, etc, as with a regular VPS?

    @scottalanmiller said:

    One thing that has become apparent (not because of this thread, just in general) is that depending on your mix of needs around CPU, memory and storage you can find yourself with totally different providers (until you get to the high end space where the services are extremely granular to prevent that from happening.)

    This is true . There are a lot of players in the game these days and some don't do well...(I won't mention any names, lol)... and some seem to do rather Well (DO, Vultr, etc).


  • Service Provider

    @dafyre said:

    I guess the label that they are for storage. While that would be my primary use-case -- would I be able to SSH in and compile software, etc, as with a regular VPS?

    Just means that it is balanced with lots of disks and very little CPU and RAM compared to the other solutions that they have which are heavy the other way. It's nothing but the balance of what you see on the screen. They are general purpose VMs in every way.

    Vultr Storage is where we run production ownCloud.



  • This is good to know! Thanks for the heads up on that.


  • Service Provider

    @dafyre Definitely let me know if you try server4you. Would be nice to get direct feedback.



  • I think I got $30 bucks to burn for a month. I'll see how they go.


  • Service Provider

    Cool, do a review!



  • Should I do it here or start a new thread?


  • Service Provider

    @dafyre said:

    Should I do it here or start a new thread?

    New thread.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.