Upstate NY ranked Worst Place to Live





  • I am not sure how valid the source is, but interesting read.



  • Its about right :(. Upstate area is about 4ish hours from me, but honestly my area isn't much better.



  • My dad lives in Plattsburg. He's definitely said jobs aren't readily available around there. Definitely not good around there.



  • Yep. I can say a lot of that is true... including the board of elections preventing young people from running for office on some technicality. I'm in the Catskills and Southern Tier.



  • The only reason we still live here is we can't sell our house.



  • @Minion-Queen said:

    The only reason we still live here is we can't sell our house.

    I could see that... we live here because we both are lucky enough, compared to a lot of other young people our age, to have very well paying jobs. My family is here also so that helps a lot.



  • @Minion-Queen said:

    The only reason we still live here is we can't sell our house.

    At what point do you take the loss and move anyway?



  • @coliver said:

    @Minion-Queen said:

    The only reason we still live here is we can't sell our house.

    I could see that... we live here because we both are lucky enough, compared to a lot of other young people our age, to have very well paying jobs. My family is here also so that helps a lot.

    Our family is local as well. But again if we could move we would.



  • @Dashrender said:

    @Minion-Queen said:

    The only reason we still live here is we can't sell our house.

    At what point do you take the loss and move anyway?

    The loss would be huge unfortunately. Houses under $80K sell here we are around $125-$130. Not willing to take that big of a hit.



  • @Minion-Queen said:

    @Dashrender said:

    @Minion-Queen said:

    The only reason we still live here is we can't sell our house.

    At what point do you take the loss and move anyway?

    The loss would be huge unfortunately. Houses under $80K sell here we are around $125-$130. Not willing to take that big of a hit.

    It's definitely hard thing to do, taking a loss on something that for so long saw huge increases. I guess everyone has to decide when they say enough is enough.



  • @Minion-Queen said:

    @Dashrender said:

    @Minion-Queen said:

    The only reason we still live here is we can't sell our house.

    At what point do you take the loss and move anyway?

    The loss would be huge unfortunately. Houses under $80K sell here we are around $125-$130. Not willing to take that big of a hit.

    Thankfully we have the 2nd home market. Generally houses in the $150-$200K sell really well here. Anything lower then that can stay on the market for a long time.



  • I honestly can't name 1 thing that is accurate about this topic.

    Sure there are run-down areas or people on assistance, but that is everywhere.

    I've never been on assistance, nor do I know anyone who is on assistance. Yeah our taxes are stupidly high, that's NY for you sadly.



  • @DustinB3403 said:

    I've never been on assistance, nor do I know anyone who is on assistance.

    Really? Perhaps you know people, but don't know they are on assistance. This was the case for me. I found out a while ago that many of my wife's siblings and other family are very reliant on assistance. Wouldn't say it was a shock, but made me more aware.



  • Quoted from the article...

    A recent collection of photos by photographer Brenda Kenneally titled “Upstate Girls” highlights the gripping poverty of Upstate. Brenda asked a 14 year old pregnant teenager if she could photograph her over the course of her pregnancy in 2003. After the girl said yes, what came next was ten years of cataloging the poverty that surrounded the girl’s life. The photos made it into the New York Times, causing outrage across the internet over certain behaviors of those being photographed.

    She's 14 and pregnant. Now this doesn't need any sort of critical thinking, but this young girl was obviously grown up in a household with shithead parents.

    She's 14, she has no idea how to earn a living, much less raise a child.

    There is literally nothing the local government could've done to prevent a child pregnancy, it's much like the law limiting the number of rounds someone can have it their gun.

    She was clearly raised without any parental supervision or guidance. Likely her parents condoned the relationship with the boy who got her pregnant.



  • Huh - You're laying a lot of the blame on the parents there. While it's likely true, it's definitely not 100%. My friends have a daughter who got pregnant at 17. They are some of the most involved parents I know, and super supportive.

    Kids do what kids do. and sex is one of those things. The child definitely has to take some of the blame, if not most of it.


  • Service Provider

    @Dashrender said:

    @DustinB3403 said:

    I've never been on assistance, nor do I know anyone who is on assistance.

    Really? Perhaps you know people, but don't know they are on assistance. This was the case for me. I found out a while ago that many of my wife's siblings and other family are very reliant on assistance. Wouldn't say it was a shock, but made me more aware.

    And "assistance" can mean a lot of things, too. Does getting more money back on your taxes than you paid count? Does having an unnecessary government job count? Does someone else having an unnecessary government job so that a private job is open for you count? Does making minimum wage count?


  • Service Provider

    @Dashrender said:

    Huh - You're laying a lot of the blame on the parents there. While it's likely true, it's definitely not 100%. My friends have a daughter who got pregnant at 17. They are some of the most involved parents I know, and super supportive.

    Kids do what kids do. and sex is one of those things. The child definitely has to take some of the blame, if not most of it.

    When I was a senior in high school, 25% of the girls by 14 were pregnant in the freshman class. 25%!! That's not an outlying case, it's just normal life in rural areas. And not just in the US, everywhere.



  • @DustinB3403 said:

    Quoted from the article...

    A recent collection of photos by photographer Brenda Kenneally titled “Upstate Girls” highlights the gripping poverty of Upstate. Brenda asked a 14 year old pregnant teenager if she could photograph her over the course of her pregnancy in 2003. After the girl said yes, what came next was ten years of cataloging the poverty that surrounded the girl’s life. The photos made it into the New York Times, causing outrage across the internet over certain behaviors of those being photographed.

    She's 14 and pregnant. Now this doesn't need any sort of critical thinking, but this young girl was obviously grown up in a household with shithead parents.

    She's 14, she has no idea how to earn a living, much less raise a child.

    There is literally nothing the local government could've done to prevent a child pregnancy, it's much like the law limiting the number of rounds someone can have it their gun.

    She was clearly raised without any parental supervision or guidance. Likely her parents condoned the relationship with the boy who got her pregnant.

    Not to defend the parents or children. When I was in highschool (graduated in '07) we had a several pregnancies to kids who should have known better. I don't think it was 25% as @scottalanmiller but easily 5-6%. We are fairly rural as well my graduating class was 96. We also had a fairly extensive sexual education curriculum, well above state standards from what I've seen at other schools.


  • Service Provider

    @scottalanmiller said:

    When I was a senior in high school, 25% of the girls by 14 were pregnant in the freshman class. 25%!! That's not an outlying case, it's just normal life in rural areas. And not just in the US, everywhere.

    This is a critical concept a lot of people seems to not even think about anymore because sex is something that is taboo in the US.

    We are less than 100 years since the SOCIAL change that brought about this whole too young thing. Also, this is strictly a advanced nation thing. The rest of the planet and human evolution disagrees with it.

    I am not even going to weigh in on the right or wrong, in this comment because it would all be my opinion. Just pointing out fact.


  • Service Provider

    Yes, I agree, very much an American concept that the peak healthy child bearing years are too young to be having kids. Even in Europe they don't have this concept. And because the rest of the world doesn't have the taboo around it, they don't have the social problems around it either.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    Yes, I agree, very much an American concept that the peak healthy child bearing years are too young to be having kids. Even in Europe they don't have this concept. And because the rest of the world doesn't have the taboo around it, they don't have the social problems around it either.

    What's the acceptable child bearing age in Europe?


  • Service Provider

    @Dashrender said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    Yes, I agree, very much an American concept that the peak healthy child bearing years are too young to be having kids. Even in Europe they don't have this concept. And because the rest of the world doesn't have the taboo around it, they don't have the social problems around it either.

    What's the acceptable child bearing age in Europe?

    Depends on the country. In much of it something like 15+, but 14 isn't some crazy number, just on the young side. Basically everything is 5-7 years younger there. Drinking age is 14 - 16 normally. For example.



  • The drinking thing I can actually understand.

    What is the age of majority in Europe, in general?

    Is it more expected/understood that the parents of the 15+ year old that is having a child to be staying home with their parents for a while raising that child?

    How does that effect schooling?


  • Service Provider

    @Dashrender said:

    The drinking thing I can actually understand.

    What is the age of majority in Europe, in general?

    Is it more expected/understood that the parents of the 15+ year old that is having a child to be staying home with their parents for a while raising that child?

    Throughout Europe the Age of Consent is now 14+. Spain was the last one to raise it from 13 a few months ago. But in Europe, kids live with their parents, generally, at least until married and often even when their own kids are little. So living at home with your parents while you have kids of your own is totally normal, even if you weren't having kids until you were 25. The average age of moving out from your parents' home is in the late 20s and climbing.



  • I've heard that's becoming the norm in the US too, at least the living with parents late into the 20's, not sure about having kids and still living with parents.



  • @Dashrender said:

    I've heard that's becoming the norm in the US too, at least the living with parents late into the 20's, not sure about having kids and still living with parents.

    This is fairly common in Upstate NY that I've seen. But we already see that it is one of the worst places to live so it may not be indicative of the rest of the US.


  • Service Provider

    @Dashrender said:

    I've heard that's becoming the norm in the US too, at least the living with parents late into the 20's, not sure about having kids and still living with parents.

    Few people want to be married and living with their parents. Although our housemates from Spain are in their late 20s (28/26) and while not married are basically married and live together with his parents. They don't like it, but it isn't super abnormal either.



  • I think there is still a pretty deep line in the sand with regards to living with parents into the 20's vs raising your kids in your parents house.

    I'd imagine that the situation applies.... (child pregnancy, child out of wedlock etc)


  • Service Provider

    @DustinB3403 said:

    I think there is still a pretty deep line in the sand with regards to living with parents into the 20's vs raising your kids in your parents house.

    I'd imagine that the situation applies.... (child pregnancy, child out of wedlock etc)

    Not really. It is traditional to do both in nearly all cultures. You live at home a decade past the average child bearing ages and naturally you are raising those kids at home. It is purely an American taboo that you are sensing. The rest of the world doesn't have that feeling at all. Some people specifically move back home so that their parents can help raise the kids.


 

Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.