Adding an extra separate network on a Cisco ASA 5510



  • Hi. I am no Cisco expert.

    Please can somebody explain how to add a second network for a few users for our current Cisco ASA 5510 which uses another internet connection (different IP) to the one we have and two networks be separate to each other?

    Basically I connect a network cable to the 3rd link interface (as first two taken up) to the modem, then the 4th link interface to the switch that will be for the separate network. How do I configure in the GUI the with the new modem settings for the 5 users to use the new providers settings?One more thing, how can I enable DHCP Server only on this separate network i.e. the 5 users?



  • I'm not sure you can do that. That would require having two default gateways setup inside the ASA.

    If you have Cisco SmartNet on this device, you can open a ticket with them and they will build the config for you.

    Unless you need these networks to be bridged together somehow, you'd be better off with a second ASA or an EdgeRouter Lite.


  • Banned

    I'm pretty sure this is easily doable with some custom nat rules and routing (policy based routing).



  • Basically I have it on a separate subnet and the the interfaces (4 of them) . Enabled DHCP server on the inside interface and provided a pool of addresses. Created access rules for connecting.

    Now when testing I receive perfectly an IP and all settings in ipconfig /all are shown correctly on the new subnet, but still I have no internet on this new network!

    Any ideas?


  • Banned

    @chrislaz8592 said:

    Basically I have it on a separate subnet and the the interfaces (4 of them) . Enabled DHCP server on the inside interface and provided a pool of addresses. Created access rules for connecting.

    Now when testing I receive perfectly an IP and all settings in ipconfig /all are shown correctly on the new subnet, but still I have no internet on this new network!

    Any ideas?

    What is your router config? You'll need to create the policy for routing on that subnet.



  • @Dashrender said:

    I'm not sure you can do that. That would require having two default gateways setup inside the ASA.

    This is simple to do and a basic job of any router. Why would you even think no it is not possible?



  • @chrislaz8592 I am too far removed from the little Cisco I knew to help sorry.



  • @JaredBusch said:

    @Dashrender said:

    I'm not sure you can do that. That would require having two default gateways setup inside the ASA.

    This is simple to do and a basic job of any router. Why would you even think no it is not possible?

    I'll all ears, as they say.



  • @Dashrender I can do it on an ERL, but not in a position to explain in depth while driving.



  • A router does not hav a gateway. A router IS a gateway. A router routes on a routing table and that table can always have more than one route to a destination. That is the point of routing.



  • @chrislaz8592 did you get this working or do you need additional assistance?


Log in to reply