Use of gate21canada.com for Job?



  • I have googled for job related sites.
    I found 1 website which was gate21canada.com
    I have mailed the team for querying the recruitment process in their concern but they replied a lot?
    How the website useful?



  • Never heard of it but a company doing job in Canada from a US website seems fishy. And that name is ridiculous in general.



  • This is the website you want for that, check out immigration - you'll find a really healthy, friendly and happy community of folks from India* here

    http://www.canada.ca/en/index.html

    *and everywhere else



  • @MattSpeller said:

    This is the website you want for that, check out immigration - you'll find a really healthy, friendly and happy community of folks from India here

    http://www.canada.ca/en/index.html

    Especially out where Matt is in British Columbia. But Toronto too.



  • I got the mail like this from the website for the job related things which was so sweet to hear but so hard to do

    I'll send along an agreement for you to review. The total cost is $500 CAD which can be paid via PayPal, 50% will be due prior to our first online session and 50% prior to our final online session. Following the wrap-up session I'll also provide you with a customized plan that you can refer to during your job search.



  • What?

    They want $1000 in total just to help you find a job, and VIA PayPal?

    That's wrong.

    Job Recruiters get paid from the company looking for an Employee, not the potential employee. Sounds like more SPAM.



  • @Lakshmana said:

    I got the mail like this from the website for the job related things which was so sweet to hear but so hard to do

    I'll send along an agreement for you to review. The total cost is $500 CAD which can be paid via PayPal, 50% will be due prior to our first online session and 50% prior to our final online session. Following the wrap-up session I'll also provide you with a customized plan that you can refer to during your job search.

    We've talked about this before. Anyone asking for money OR your passport details is a scam. You know this without question. Stop reading emails or looking at websites that do this.



  • OK I will not speak about this SPAM mail.
    I am marking that as SPAM



  • @Lakshmana said:

    OK I will not speak about this SPAM mail.
    I am marking that as SPAM

    Good. Use these guidelines and mark as spam immediately for further emails:

    • Job offers that you didn't do a video or in person interview for and apply to already
    • Anyone asking for a passport ID
    • Anyone asking for money to get you a job

    Those three are always SPAM.



  • Hi everyone,

    Re Gate21, first we do not find people jobs and no where on the website is that even suggested. We help map out the steps needed to find work in Canada, a "teach someone to fish..."

    We use a server in the US for our website, not uncommon at all.

    If anyone gets an email from us they have filled out our contact us form so there are no unsolicited emails.

    I have more than 10 years of experience helping new Canadian to find career success. Up until I founded Gate21 these programs were funded by the government of Canada and various provinces and were delivered by non-profit community based organizations. These are well intentioned programs but since these are paid for by the gov the priority is for these orgs to meet the gov's objectives and this often means the best interests of the new Canadian is not first and foremost and it is this reason why I founded Gate21. Offering a for-fee-service means the success of our clients is paramount and first priority.

    As for the 50% upfront, again not uncommon and it's based on my experience with the very first Gate21 client. I prepared for the first online session, talked and listened to the individual, explained what is included in the service that they would receive which did not include finding them a job they said yes lets work together. I reviewed their resume, planned out the guidance and resources they'd need and prepared for the second session and they no showed and never got back, so all that time was lost thus the upfront fee along with an agreement that outlines all the specifics. We work with people already on their way to Canada to help them avoid the career barriers that many many new Canadians are facing these days.

    I am very proud of my work helping new Canadians
    Pre-arrival project award from Gov of Canada http://www.credentials-competences.gc.ca/CommunityBrowser.aspx?id=1711
    Work at Canada's largest school of continuing education https://youtu.be/8FR8mkfDCRc
    And many many webinars for the largest credential evaluation service https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC10osJ5wq7Bd6jZfXvUeZUg
    including a webinar with Shopify and Foritnet and the Information Communication Technology Council for those interested in the IT careers.

    Good for keeping an eye out for those that try to take advantage of immigrants, this happens all to often and it is despicable.

    I just wanted to ensure you have accurate information about Gate21.

    Stephen Chase, Founder Gate21





  • @StephenChase76 you should also mark yourself as a vendor, so that community members know what you are.



  • I don't think this site is necessarily spam. However, I believe the business model is wrong for both the company and the client. Other recruiting services provide their services for free, but take a small percentage agreed upon with the employer in exchange for providing the client employment.

    It seems to me this is a more fair approach and you get more money in the long run. Nothing comes out of the client's pocket up front and they are happy to have a better, higher paying job. So everyone wins.



  • @IRJ said:

    I don't think this site is necessarily spam. However, I believe the business model is wrong for both the company and the client. Other recruiting services provide their services for free, but take a small percentage agreed upon with the employer in exchange for providing the client employment.

    It seems to me this is a more fair approach and you get more money in the long run. Nothing comes out of the client's pocket up front and they are happy to have a better, higher paying job. So everyone wins.

    ^ this is the legal way in Canada. His up front fee is illegal here and they only get away with it because they're based in India.



  • I said it best below and I want to make sure it's highly visible - we welcome one and all, refugees to the wealthy.

    This is the website you want for immigration to Canada - you'll find a really healthy, friendly and happy community of folks from India* here

    http://www.canada.ca/en/index.html

    *and everywhere else



  • @MattSpeller said:

    @IRJ said:

    I don't think this site is necessarily spam. However, I believe the business model is wrong for both the company and the client. Other recruiting services provide their services for free, but take a small percentage agreed upon with the employer in exchange for providing the client employment.

    It seems to me this is a more fair approach and you get more money in the long run. Nothing comes out of the client's pocket up front and they are happy to have a better, higher paying job. So everyone wins.

    ^ this is the legal way in Canada. His up front fee is illegal here and they only get away with it because they're based in India.

    This seems more profitable to me as well. Especially if they are good with setting up people with jobs. Lot's of recurring income is much better than trying to get $500 for people that likely don't have extra money since they are looking for a job.



  • @RojoLoco said:

    @StephenChase76 you should also mark yourself as a vendor, so that community members know what you are.

    Vendors have to apply to be marked as vendors. It's not something that they can "just do." If you look in your settings, there is no "identify as vendor" option until they reach out and ask to be vetted.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @RojoLoco said:

    @StephenChase76 you should also mark yourself as a vendor, so that community members know what you are.

    Vendors have to apply to be marked as vendors. It's not something that they can "just do." If you look in your settings, there is no "identify as vendor" option until they reach out and ask to be vetted.

    Then brand him with a big "V".... either way works for me. Also, waiting for vendors to identify themselves is being a lot more trusting than I would be....



  • @RojoLoco said:

    Then brand him with a big "V".... either way works for me. Also, waiting for vendors to identify themselves is being a lot more trusting than I would be....

    The other choice is allow anyone to represent any vendor that they want. Want to pretend to be a vendor... just mark yourself and claim to be one. That doesn't work. Any why would a vendor need to be identified? We specifically do not have hard lines in ML because it was demonstrated to be a bad idea elsewhere. MSP is a voluntary designation because it means nothing. Vendor is voluntary as well, but requires vetting so that we don't get scammed by people claiming to be one vendor but are actually from a competitor or whatever.



  • Vendors should all be marked as such. That is my only point. I don't give a half a shit how it gets done.



  • @RojoLoco said:

    Vendors should all be marked as such. That is my only point. I don't give a half a shit how it gets done.

    It's not that easy. Start by defining who is and isn't a vendor. Even that we have never been able to do reliably in any community. Everyone who is a vendor is also an professional. And honestly, Gate21 is not a vendor and does not qualify as they don't provide anything for IT.

    Everyone in IT works for a company, therefore would be a vendor. Short of that, we are making movable lines as to what we consider to be a vendor.



  • @RojoLoco said:

    Vendors should all be marked as such. That is my only point. I don't give a half a s*** how it gets done.

    We are working to come up with a legal, fair, CYA method of verifying and recognizing representatives of vendors in the community. Once that is in place, all that have requested to be tagged (and then approved), and also those who we have recognized on our own, will be tagged appropriately as "vendors" in their posts.



  • I don't work for WES, I left to start Gate21. WES does 100,000 evaluations in Canada, as with anyone bound to be a small number of unhappy customers.

    Again, for Gate21 there is no recruitment. We're career coaching for those already approved to immigrate to Canada. As for the upfront, I've signed many contracts with consultants which included a fee upon signing along with other points of production. I'll be moving my fee to 50% half way through and 50% upon completion, thanks for the input. I wasn't/am not selling anything here (just wanted to correct the info), again I work with people that are approved to immigrate best of luck if that's your goal.

    Time is my most valuable commodity so I won't be able to contribute/correct anymore misinformation on this thread, I'll be back to helping people achieve their career goals.

    Stephen



  • @StephenChase76 said:

    I'll be moving my fee to 50% half way through and 50% upon completion, thanks for the input.

    That sounds a bit more fair. Tell us a little bit about what type of coaching you guys do.



  • I must have missed something, is WES something that I should recognize?



  • This post is deleted!


  • This post is deleted!


  • Hey guys, the feeling was that this one had run its course and it seems that relevant info has been provided. We are going to lock this at least until the main mods have time to review.


Log in to reply