The Fermi Paradox: A Worthy Read




  • Banned

    It seems typical of human arrogance that without knowing of the existence of other civilisations, we are already trying to categorise and comprehend what "type" they will be and using our own understanding of physics trying to comprehend how they achieve this.

    I suspect Possibility 8 is the most likely. Other civilisations saw our backwards planet, with our reality TV and pointless conflicts and decided to declare earth a wildlife preserve for the naive violent creatures until we develop past that.



  • Interesting, do you think as a society we will?



  • @Dashrender I think it will take another 1,000 years or so if we are around that long.



  • Sadly, as a society I see us going more toward something like Wall-e


  • Banned

    @Dashrender said:

    Sadly, as a society I see us going more toward something like Wall-e

    The trash can wasteland across the world with a polluted atmosphere?

    Or the strapped to a hover-chair milkshake utopia?



  • @Breffni-Potter If things don't change, I see it happening exactly like what is going to happen in Wall-E. We won't have any choice but to leave the planet behind.


  • Banned

    @dafyre said:

    @Breffni-Potter If things don't change, I see it happening exactly like what is going to happen in Wall-E. We won't have any choice but to leave the planet behind.

    I suspect it will happen like Fallout.

    Whether Space Travel can be practical for a sustained period or not, the mega rich/powerful will build elaborate high tech bunkers to survive if they cannot head to space.



  • @Breffni-Potter said:

    Other civilisations saw our backwards planet, with our reality TV and pointless conflicts and decided to declare earth a wildlife preserve for the naive violent creatures until we develop past that.

    Best thing I have read in awhile.



  • I like the Great Filter hypothesis. It just seems the most likely (outside of us living as programs). At some point in the evolutionary timeline every civilization reaches a point where they either make it or they don't and most do not... I'm leaning toward a technological singularity, especially as we watch ourselves delve deeper and deeper into AI.



  • @coliver Skynet becomes self aware and takes over the Galaxy?



  • @dafyre said:

    @coliver Skynet becomes self aware and takes over the Galaxy?

    Right, something like Skynet. We go from Artificial intelligence to Artificial Super Intelligence.


  • Banned

    Surely we will blow ourselves up before skynet becomes a reality?



  • @Breffni-Potter said:

    Surely we will blow ourselves up before skynet becomes a reality?

    Maybe... but that wouldn't be nearly as cool as being wiped out by an ASI with its own survival instinct.


  • Banned

    @coliver said:

    Maybe... but that wouldn't be nearly as cool as being wiped out by an ASI with its own survival instinct.

    Nuked by humans....Nuked by Skynet.

    Is there an alternative?



  • @Breffni-Potter said:

    @coliver said:

    Maybe... but that wouldn't be nearly as cool as being wiped out by an ASI with its own survival instinct.

    Nuked by humans....Nuked by Skynet.

    Is there an alternative?

    Human engineered super virus that is accidentally released? eg. Captain Trips.



  • @coliver said:

    @Breffni-Potter said:

    @coliver said:

    Maybe... but that wouldn't be nearly as cool as being wiped out by an ASI with its own survival instinct.

    Nuked by humans....Nuked by Skynet.

    Is there an alternative?

    Human engineered super virus that is accidentally released? eg. Captain Trips.

    Thanks a type of nuking. I figured when @Breffni-Potter said Nuked by humans...Nuked by Skynet, on the humans side he meant more self annihilation, not necessarily nuking, i.e. nuking, super virus, create a black hole that destroys the planet, etc.


Log in to reply