Experienced Technical Writer needed in Columbia, SC
Join the winning Unitrends team! We are the fastest-growing provider of comprehensive data protection and disaster recovery solutions in the industry today. With an unparalleled cost-to-value ratio, we enable our customers to protect their most valuable assets and focus on what’s most important—their business. To learn more, visit us at www.unitrends.com
Designs, creates, and maintains documentation of Unitrends’ virtual and physical data protection systems. Works with minimal supervision with wide latitude for independent judgement.
Essential Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities:
• Drive documentation projects from conception to delivery.
• May lead other writers in their work on assigned projects, offering guidance and teaching technical concepts.
• Gather technical information through independent research, working with SME’s, studying internal specifications, and working hands-on with Unitrends products.
• Prepare drafts for technical review and work with Engineering, Quality Assurance (QA), and Customer Support to ensure technical accuracy and completeness.
• Write content that describes product technology, competitive features, installation, configuration, and operating procedures.
• Produce administrator’s guide, installation guides, release notes, and other documents in PDF and HTML formats.
• Produce video tutorials describing product features and best practices.
• Manage defects and correct documents as required. Work with QA to ensure all defects on assigned projects have been resolved accurately.
• Participate in feature reviews to learn new technology and begin documenting during the agile development cycle.
• Create and implement technical writing best practices and standards to ensure consistency.
• Collaborate with the Documentation team to create and implement strategies for improving the clarity, accessibility, and quality of the Unitrends documentation set and video tutorials.
• Collaborate with the Documentation team to create and implement strategies for increasing customer self-service.
• Contribute articles to the Knowledge Base for customer self-service support.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Proven experience writing and editing technical documentation for products or projects of similar complexity.
• Strong technical background, including knowledge of software and hardware system architecture, networked storage protocols and topologies, VMware, Hyper-V, and XenServer virtualization, server, application, and database administration, and backup and restore concepts.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to learn new technology and apply knowledge in a fast-paced environment.
• Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
• Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
• Highly organized with the ability to multi-task and deliver results within a deadline.
• Experience in MadCap Flare, Adobe FrameMaker, Microsoft Word, RoboHelp and/or other HTML authoring tools highly desired.
• Experience producing video tutorials highly desired.
Education and/or Experience:
A four (4) year bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/institution in Technical Writing, Computer Science or related field and a minimum of three years of experience in writing and editing technical documentation for products or projects of similar complexity or an equivalent combination of skills, knowledge and abilities.
Founded in 1989, Unitrends has thousands of reseller partners and customers worldwide. Our headquarters is located in Burlington, Massachusetts, with offices throughout the world.
What else you need to know:
• We are crazy committed to our customers with a 98% customer satisfaction rate.
• We have been widely-acclaimed throughout the industry with numerous awards, including: Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Inc. Hire Power Awards, Inc. 500/5000 2014, Spiceworks Spicies Awards, CRN Tech Innovators Award, Storage Magazine Products of the Year 2014 Silver Winner, BSM Best Channel Vendor… just to name a few!
• No matter what role you play, when you're part of Unitrends, you're part of a team. We go to bat for each other and we care. Leave politics at the door. We're here to do great things together.
Individuals seeking employment at Unitrends, Inc. are considered without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.
Upon conditional offer of employment, candidates are required to complete a criminal background check and drug test per Unitrends employment policy.
TO APPLY, GO TO: http://hire.jobvite.com/m?3sEHfhwO