Drobo B800i startup issues



  • We've got a Drobo B800i that's not starting up properly in the lab. All the Drive Status lights show up Yellow (Both for the bays containing drives, and the bays not containing drives), All the Capacity Lights lit up, and the Power and Activity lights are solid. The Activity and Power lights shut off for a few seconds, came back on, and then all the lights went down for about one seconds. It's repeated this cycle a couple of times, even through restarts and drive reseats. Any ideas?



  • You need to talk to drobo. Normally it means the drives are full or bad.



  • Oh, didn't see @Mike-Ralston post this. Double posted.



  • PSU test first, then crack open the case and inspect the main board on it.

    Edit: inspect main board for leaking magic smoke. 🙂



  • @MattSpeller said:

    PSU test first, then crack open the case and inspect the main board on it.

    Edit: inspect main board for leaking magic smoke. 🙂

    Of course ensure that you no longer have a valid warranty first.



  • Is there a way to reload the firmware? Is this one of those that store the OS on the drives as well (many NAS devices do). Does it have a serial port inside it if you open the bad boy up (assuming it's not under warranty)?

    And lastly if it's not under warranty send it to me to fix and use at home 😉





  • @coliver said:

    @MattSpeller said:

    PSU test first, then crack open the case and inspect the main board on it.

    Edit: inspect main board for leaking magic smoke. 🙂

    Of course ensure that you no longer have a valid warranty first.

    It was a gift from Drobo for our lab and none of the people we used to work with remain after the cleaning out they did a year or two ago.



  • @thecreativeone91 said:

    Is there a way to reload the firmware? Is this one of those that store the OS on the drives as well (many NAS devices do).

    No, it has firmware internally. Runs dual OSes, very quirky design.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @coliver said:

    @MattSpeller said:

    PSU test first, then crack open the case and inspect the main board on it.

    Edit: inspect main board for leaking magic smoke. 🙂

    Of course ensure that you no longer have a valid warranty first.

    It was a gift from Drobo for our lab and none of the people we used to work with remain after the cleaning out they did a year or two ago.

    Sounds like it's prime time to tear that thing apart then. Good backups I assume?



  • @coliver said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @coliver said:

    @MattSpeller said:

    PSU test first, then crack open the case and inspect the main board on it.

    Edit: inspect main board for leaking magic smoke. 🙂

    Of course ensure that you no longer have a valid warranty first.

    It was a gift from Drobo for our lab and none of the people we used to work with remain after the cleaning out they did a year or two ago.

    Sounds like it's prime time to tear that thing apart then. Good backups I assume?

    LOL it's in the lab...



  • I've been tempted to pickup one of these as a backup target before syncing to the cloud for home. Not sure if I want to or not. I think any of them will be a single point of failure so I'm not too concerned about that. and I have a beefy WAN connection so download 100GB+ of backup ed up data is no biggy.



  • @thecreativeone91 said:

    I've been tempted to pickup one of these as a backup target before syncing to the cloud for home. Not sure if I want to or not. I think any of them will be a single point of failure so I'm not too concerned about that. and I have a beefy WAN connection so download 100GB+ of backup ed up data is no biggy.

    Any onsite backup point would be single point of failure unless you had two of them? But if you are backing up to the cloud, why would it matter?



  • @Dashrender said:

    @thecreativeone91 said:

    I've been tempted to pickup one of these as a backup target before syncing to the cloud for home. Not sure if I want to or not. I think any of them will be a single point of failure so I'm not too concerned about that. and I have a beefy WAN connection so download 100GB+ of backup ed up data is no biggy.

    Any onsite backup point would be single point of failure unless you had two of them? But if you are backing up to the cloud, why would it matter?

    That's the point it's the cheapest high drive count device I can find. Heck even used they are under $400 (without drives) but I have a butt load of Enterpise 1TBs laying around.



  • I'm sorry, what was the point?



  • @Dashrender said:

    I'm sorry, what was the point?

    That I care that it's cheap and works for backups not that it's a single point of failure. I have a cheap orico device now. They only problem with it is 1.) it doesn't auto power on after a failure or if I reset the outlet on the PDU. you have to manually push the power button. and 2.) it randomly goes offline which makes backups to the cloud fail.



  • a single point of failure so I'm not too concerned about that.

    Completely misread this part.



  • @coliver said:

    Sounds like it's prime time to tear that thing apart then. Good backups I assume?

    None needed, but we liked using the Drobo in the lab.



  • @thecreativeone91 said:

    I've been tempted to pickup one of these as a backup target before syncing to the cloud for home. Not sure if I want to or not. I think any of them will be a single point of failure so I'm not too concerned about that. and I have a beefy WAN connection so download 100GB+ of backup ed up data is no biggy.

    This is a level of single point of failure that you don't normally see in other devices. Parity RAID only, everything in it is completely proprietary, doesn't run any normal OS, no standard components inside. There are few appliances where you are more "stuck" if things don't work.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thecreativeone91 said:

    I've been tempted to pickup one of these as a backup target before syncing to the cloud for home. Not sure if I want to or not. I think any of them will be a single point of failure so I'm not too concerned about that. and I have a beefy WAN connection so download 100GB+ of backup ed up data is no biggy.

    This is a level of single point of failure that you don't normally see in other devices. Parity RAID only, everything in it is completely proprietary, doesn't run any normal OS, no standard components inside. There are few appliances where you are more "stuck" if things don't work.

    It's not linux based? I'd really like the Synology one but I can't find the 8 bay under $800-900 used



  • @thecreativeone91 said:

    It's not linux based? I'd really like the Synology one but I can't find the 8 bay under $800-900 used

    Nope. No way to get to a console. This is a REAL SAN. There is no NAS under the hood. There is no general purpose OS. It is a special embedded UNIX OS that I can't remember the name of that runs most of it.



  • Looks like it might be a Powersupply issue from what I found. Probably easy enough to repair if you wanted to replace some capacitors or something (wouldn't do it in production but for a home or lab no reason not too)



  • Rackspace here was using drobo's but I'm not sure to what extent.



  • @thecreativeone91 said:

    Rackspace here was using drobo's but I'm not sure to what extent.

    That's a bit mental. I can't imagine what for.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thecreativeone91 said:

    Rackspace here was using drobo's but I'm not sure to what extent.

    That's a bit mental. I can't imagine what for.

    Could be for internal use. They have a lot of community involvement and do maker space stuff. Robot building, programing competitions, Ardunio's etc.



  • @thecreativeone91 said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @thecreativeone91 said:

    Rackspace here was using drobo's but I'm not sure to what extent.

    That's a bit mental. I can't imagine what for.

    Could be for internal use. They have a lot of community involvement and do maker space stuff. Robot building, programing competitions, Ardunio's etc.

    Oh okay.



  • Simple solution. We didn't even have to reach out to Drobo. Drobo reached out to us and is shipping us a new SAN! Awesome service!!



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    Simple solution. We didn't even have to reach out to Drobo. Drobo reached out to us and is shipping us a new SAN! Awesome service!!

    Nice!



  • Great service. Good thing it wasn't a QNAP.



  • @thecreativeone91 said:

    Great service. Good thing it wasn't a QNAP.

    LOL. Well we might get that replaced in a few months. 😉 Isn't that what the QNAP SLA is?