Find Machine Name in Vsphere



  • I am having trouble finding a VM on Vsphere 5.5. It is not named using the same name as the server. I have searched Vsphere using both the hostname and IP address of the VM. I can connect to the VM via VNC and Remote Desktop. I just can't find it on Vsphere.



  • Go to the root of the tree for your dropdown, go to the Virtual Machines tab, right click on the headers and add "DNS Name". Try again.
    upload-bf86750f-3d51-4bd7-8652-26a49f479652



  • This post is deleted!


  • Looks like you are using the fat client. Vsphere 5.5 only fully supports the web client

    upload-6ef58c22-1524-45d0-8e4c-0644545468ab



  • It seems like it would be a good idea to make the PC name or IP address searchable...



  • @IRJ said:

    Looks like you are using the fat client. Vsphere 5.5 only fully supports the web client

    upload-6ef58c22-1524-45d0-8e4c-0644545468ab

    Can you add columns to that view? It looks like you may be able to with a button in the top right.





  • @coliver said:

    @IRJ said:

    Looks like you are using the fat client. Vsphere 5.5 only fully supports the web client

    upload-6ef58c22-1524-45d0-8e4c-0644545468ab

    Can you add columns to that view? It looks like you may be able to with a button in the top right.

    Those are filters. I can filter it down to the OS and the amount of CPUs, but strangely enough I am still not seeing the VM. I wonder if its hidden somehow.



  • I found it using the filters. The name was completely wrong



  • @IRJ said:

    Looks like you are using the fat client. Vsphere 5.5 only fully supports the web client

    upload-6ef58c22-1524-45d0-8e4c-0644545468ab

    Not true. What you saw there was 5.5. I was told by @Texkonc that VMware is looking to move away from the web client in the future. You can still use the installed client with 5.5. It works no problem.


  • Service Provider

    @thanksaj said:

    Not true. What you saw there was 5.5. I was told by @Texkonc that VMware is looking to move away from the web client in the future. You can still use the installed client with 5.5. It works no problem.

    In 5.5 the web client is definitely the official one.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksaj said:

    Not true. What you saw there was 5.5. I was told by @Texkonc that VMware is looking to move away from the web client in the future. You can still use the installed client with 5.5. It works no problem.

    In 5.5 the web client is definitely the official one.

    I know it's the official one but the actual client installed works as well. They both work, even if the web client is the "official" one.



  • @thanksaj said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksaj said:

    Not true. What you saw there was 5.5. I was told by @Texkonc that VMware is looking to move away from the web client in the future. You can still use the installed client with 5.5. It works no problem.

    In 5.5 the web client is definitely the official one.

    I know it's the official one but the actual client installed works as well. They both work, even if the web client is the "official" one.

    I seem to remember some features not working on the client.



  • @IRJ said:

    @thanksaj said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksaj said:

    Not true. What you saw there was 5.5. I was told by @Texkonc that VMware is looking to move away from the web client in the future. You can still use the installed client with 5.5. It works no problem.

    In 5.5 the web client is definitely the official one.

    I know it's the official one but the actual client installed works as well. They both work, even if the web client is the "official" one.

    I seem to remember some features not working on the client.

    I haven't had any issues with functionality up til now. I'm on 5.5 and use the installed client exclusively.



  • @IRJ There may be some features missing but nothing I haven't been able to live without up til now.



  • @thanksaj said:

    @IRJ said:

    @thanksaj said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksaj said:

    Not true. What you saw there was 5.5. I was told by @Texkonc that VMware is looking to move away from the web client in the future. You can still use the installed client with 5.5. It works no problem.

    In 5.5 the web client is definitely the official one.

    I know it's the official one but the actual client installed works as well. They both work, even if the web client is the "official" one.

    I seem to remember some features not working on the client.

    I haven't had any issues with functionality up til now. I'm on 5.5 and use the installed client exclusively.

    It's considered depreciated, and they have announced it won't be updated going forward. The web client is missing a few features that the fat client has is the only reason its still available (specifically they say emergencies only). I'm also guessing this means the free version will be going away with 6 as the web vsphere client is part of the paid licenses. They've actually pulled the 5.5 Vi client from the website unless you have the direct links (http://vsphereclient.vmware.com/vsphereclient/1/9/9/3/0/7/2/VMware-viclient-all-5.5.0-1993072.exe)