Why the Board of Directors Will Go Off on Security in 2015



  • Received this today from one of my state contacts:

    Why the Board of Directors Will Go Off on Security in 2015

    ""Get ready for 2015, a year when some predict breaches will hit even harder and security executives will come under fire by confused company board members. But, as our "fly on the wall" reports from the year ahead, the answers to this dilemma may lie in retooling the CSO position - and adding a security-minded board member.""



  • Security on the board? That makes little sense. I think someone is confused by what the role of the board is. Having a CSO / CISO with real power is critical, but that is a CEO decision, not a board one. Boards don't have that kind of influence.



  • I haven't had a chance to read it completely, but i believe the idea was that Board Members are generally confused and thusly 'will go off' about all the security changes coming in 2015. Here in Kentucky, we have the added law of House Bill 5. This is something I am getting a good bit of pressure on due to some of our programs.



  • @g.jacobse said:

    I haven't had a chance to read it completely, but i believe the idea was that Board Members are generally confused and thusly 'will go off' about all the security changes coming in 2015. Here in Kentucky, we have the added law of House Bill 5. This is something I am getting a good bit of pressure on due to some of our programs.

    Maybe this should be distilled to "get board members with a clue". If your board is confused by security, well then they are probably unable to be an effective board too. Investors need to get competent board members, not "security people."



  • This is true for a great many positions 🙂



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    "get board members with a clue".

    Complicated problem, easy answer, tough to execute



  • @MattSpeller said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    "get board members with a clue".

    Complicated problem, easy answer, tough to execute

    If it was easy to execute people would routinely have good boards hiring good executives and driving businesses to success. Since most companies fail, most boards are awful. Just how it is.



  • The biggest limiting factor to success is competency of leadership. The biggest problem there is that 95 % of people are incompetent. Marry to that the fact that many of the 5% who are competent are not interested in leadership, or never have the opportunity, given that the incompetent leaders aren't smart enough to look for them in the ranks.



  • @art_of_shred said:

    The biggest limiting factor to success is competency of leadership. The biggest problem there is that 95 % of people are incompetent. Marry to that the fact that many of the 5% who are competent are not interested in leadership, or never have the opportunity, given that the incompetent leaders aren't smart enough to look for them in the ranks.

    Exactly, not only is a good leader hard to find, but lots of people don't bother to look for them. Many natural leaders never get an opportunity to become leaders or don't desire to do so and so don't.



  • @scottalanmiller The view from the top is magnificent but the responsibilities and a very long fall are pretty daunting



  • Management.jpg

    The unfortunate truth


Log in to reply