Huge Sale on Kindle Fire Today





  • Nice - Shame I already have one... and an iPad 1 and iPad 4.

    I've had several ads come in showing today as Green Monday.... wonder if it's related.



  • I keep debating on a paperwhite. I don't want the fire at all no reason already have a Note 4 and a Ipad air



  • I love my Paperwhite. It's my favourite device for reading.



  • I have the 3rd Gen Kindle with the Keyboard and the leather case with the light. I've seen the Paperwhite, and it's nice for some people, but it's too thin and too small for me. I like what I have. That being said, YMMV



  • I traded by 2nd Gen for the Paperwhite. Needing a light is a killer. And the keyboard is a waste... when do you use that? Unless you are using your Kindle for something other than reading. I only read books on mine.



  • I had a 3rd generation and loved it but as Scott said no need for a keyboard. I love the back lite but am trying to decide if it is going to get much use when I have an Ipad Air as well.



  • I have an iPad Mini and the Kindle Paperwhite and I use both still.



  • Why do you like reading on one over the other?



  • The soft lighting and massive battery life of the Kindle. And the ability to be in darkness OR bright light. There is no condition where the Kindle isn't ideal. I find it very easy on the eyes.



  • The Kindle is definitely easy on the eyes compared to normal backlit devices.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    I traded by 2nd Gen for the Paperwhite. Needing a light is a killer. And the keyboard is a waste... when do you use that? Unless you are using your Kindle for something other than reading. I only read books on mine.

    It comes in handy often enough I like having it. Entering a wifi password or searching for something in a book, etc.



  • @Dashrender said:

    The Kindle is definitely easy on the eyes compared to normal backlit devices.

    Agreed.



  • I'm curious about the e-ink ones.
    Can you surf the web (B&W obviously) on them?
    Can you dump files to them & if so what format?
    Is it a block device on USB (all easily accessable, drag and drop to add files or stupid custom software ala iTunes)?



  • @MattSpeller said:

    I'm curious about the e-ink ones.
    Can you surf the web (B&W obviously) on them?
    Can you dump files to them & if so what format?
    Is it a block device on USB (all easily accessable, drag and drop to add files or stupid custom software ala iTunes)?

    Yes, you can surf but it is painful. You don't want to. But if you are in a book and want to see the Wikipedia reference for something, well, you can in a pinch. But it sucks.

    Yes, PDF and Mobi primarily. Plus they play music. So MP3 and they play Audible too.

    Yes, you can drag and drop to it like a USB stick.



  • Cheers



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @MattSpeller said:

    I'm curious about the e-ink ones.
    Can you surf the web (B&W obviously) on them?
    Can you dump files to them & if so what format?
    Is it a block device on USB (all easily accessable, drag and drop to add files or stupid custom software ala iTunes)?

    Yes, you can surf but it is painful. You don't want to. But if you are in a book and want to see the Wikipedia reference for something, well, you can in a pinch. But it sucks.

    Yes, PDF and Mobi primarily. Plus they play music. So MP3 and they play Audible too.

    Yes, you can drag and drop to it like a USB stick.

    Careful, one of the latest gen Kindles has no audio book capability. I can't remember off the top of my head but it might be the Paperwhite. Check for an audio jack, never assume.
    🙂



  • I've been an e-ink reader since they first existed.
    I purchased a Sony Librié (link) for a christmas present to myself in 2004 through some third party import website that offered a hack to the firmware to put part of the system into enough english to make it useable. This unit was never sold outside of Japan to my knowledge.

    I LOVED it. Until I broke the screen (while on a trip to Japan as it happened) in summer 2005. I spent an afternoon of that trip wandering around Akihabara trying (unsuccessfully) to find a replacement screen. The system was too knew, and spare parts were apparently only available from Sony.

    Thankfully Sony brought out the Sony Reader in the US in spring of 2006 and I bought the first one of those. It was warranty replaced at one point in 2008 I think. and the model I received back was the then current model. I still prefer it as my ebook reader.



  • thinking about it some more, the unit still powers on. I should try and find a replacement screen for it next summer when (if) I go back to Japan when I send the family back.