Followed By a Non-Recruiter or Headhunter



  • So I already talked to @Minion-Queen about this but I figured I'd just get everyone's opinion. I received this email earlier...


    Hey A.J.,

    Hope all is well with you and your family.
    <his company name> is really starting to boom.
    Both <his coworker> and I were impressed with your skills and attitude and I definitely want to keep in touch with you.

    How are things at <redacted>?
    Getting tired of just supporting <redacted> and SIEM yet?

    We just hired two evening Managed Services Specialist and are now looking to bring on two more for the day shift. Any interest??

    Best regards


    I had interviewed with this company probably six months ago and they ended up not having a position for me at the time, but this guy has sent me emails every 1-2 months to check in since, even when there were times he had no job open at the time. It was almost like he was taking a pulse on me and just seeing where I stood in my career.

    This seems like both a very abnormal thing and a very good thing. I responded to his email and are waiting to hear back now but are very excited by the prospects! It seems like I've already got a bit of an in, but we'll see!

    Thanks,
    A.J.



  • Sounds completely reasonable. And he sounds like he is a recruiter, basically. Just an internal one, not an external one. Lots of big companies have internal recruiting (they are actually called recruiters) and they do exactly this.



  • This is played alot like poker. You never show your hand and you see what the other guy does every round. See if you can get them to show their cards without putting much of an ante



  • Sounds like a good thing. They want to see where you are and are obviously serious about keeping you in mind.



  • I should add that the products he asked me if I was sick of supporting yet...I never told him about those. That means he looked at my LinkedIn (we're connected on there), which just means an extra step and effort on his part. I'm thinking this could be a very good thing.



  • @Reid-Cooper said:

    Sounds completely reasonable. And he sounds like he is a recruiter, basically. Just an internal one, not an external one. Lots of big companies have internal recruiting (they are actually called recruiters) and they do exactly this.

    I can't remember what his exact job role title is but if he is an internal recruiter, I know that's only a small piece of his job.



  • @thanksaj said:

    I should add that the products he asked me if I was sick of supporting yet...I never told him about those. That means he looked at my LinkedIn (we're connected on there), which just means an extra step and effort on his part. I'm thinking this could be a very good thing.

    Nearly everyone looks at LinkedIn these days.



  • @thanksaj said:

    This seems like both a very abnormal thing and a very good thing.

    I don't think it's abnormal at all. If we really like a candidate but don't have a position we'll keep in touch, for sure. Finding a good candidate is tough, and expensive if you go through a recruiter, so a little effort to keep in touch can really pay dividend. The first thing we'll say when we have a position to fill, before we advertise or talk to recruiters, is "ok, so who do we know?"

    This is a large part of what LinkedIn is for.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksaj said:

    I should add that the products he asked me if I was sick of supporting yet...I never told him about those. That means he looked at my LinkedIn (we're connected on there), which just means an extra step and effort on his part. I'm thinking this could be a very good thing.

    Nearly everyone looks at LinkedIn these days.

    My point was it still is another step or another thing he would have to do. Just exciting.



  • Got an email back! Setting up an interview for most likely Friday! Super excited!



  • @thanksaj said:

    Got an email back! Setting up an interview for most likely Friday! Super excited!

    Congrats and good luck.



  • @StrongBad said:

    @thanksaj said:

    Got an email back! Setting up an interview for most likely Friday! Super excited!

    Congrats and good luck.

    Thanks!


Log in to reply