Multiple Dell PC's All With Same Product Key



  • In my self-audit duties, I found that we have about 13 Dell PC's all with the same product key. They were all purchased separately over the past 3 years. All OptiPlex models...all pre-installed with Windows 7 and with different product keys on the sticker.

    Do you know what could have changed these product keys? We use Spiceworks System Scanner and that it how I first discovered this problem and kind of blew it off as a possible database error with Spiceworks. When I ran keyfinders on as few of these suspect PC's, they show this SAME KEY.

    Any clue?



  • @garak0410 said:

    In my self-audit duties, I found that we have about 13 Dell PC's all with the same product key. They were all purchased separately over the past 3 years. All OptiPlex models...all pre-installed with Windows 7 and with different product keys on the sticker.

    Do you know what could have changed these product keys? We use Spiceworks System Scanner and that it how I first discovered this problem and kind of blew it off as a possible database error with Spiceworks. When I ran keyfinders on as few of these suspect PC's, they show this SAME KEY.

    Any clue?

    That is common and OK. Your Product Key sticker shows a license for OEM



  • Do you use Volume Licensing?



  • @IRJ said:

    @garak0410 said:

    In my self-audit duties, I found that we have about 13 Dell PC's all with the same product key. They were all purchased separately over the past 3 years. All OptiPlex models...all pre-installed with Windows 7 and with different product keys on the sticker.

    Do you know what could have changed these product keys? We use Spiceworks System Scanner and that it how I first discovered this problem and kind of blew it off as a possible database error with Spiceworks. When I ran keyfinders on as few of these suspect PC's, they show this SAME KEY.

    Any clue?

    That is common and OK. Your Product Key sticker shows a license for OEM

    OK...glad to know others have seen it. For this audit, I want every individual product key listed, so I'll have to go manually and get these corrected in both Spiceworks and my audit spreadsheet.



  • This is how Dell specifically ships PCs.



  • @thanksaj said:

    Do you use Volume Licensing?

    We do not do VL for Windows or Office, currently.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    This is how Dell specifically ships PCs.

    Good to know...never knew this...



  • @garak0410 said:

    @thanksaj said:

    Do you use Volume Licensing?

    We do not do VL for Windows or Office, currently.

    Ok, then I guess what everyone else is saying is the case. Weirdness...



  • @thanksaj said:

    @garak0410 said:

    @thanksaj said:

    Do you use Volume Licensing?

    We do not do VL for Windows or Office, currently.

    Ok, then I guess what everyone else is saying is the case. Weirdness...

    See @scottalanmiller's reply...never knew that...



  • @garak0410 said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    This is how Dell specifically ships PCs.

    Good to know...never knew this...

    Yeah. Don't worry about those PCs because you can easily prove they are licensed. Microsoft isn't going to challenge an OEM license on a Dell box anyways.



  • @IRJ said:

    @garak0410 said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    This is how Dell specifically ships PCs.

    Good to know...never knew this...

    Yeah. Don't worry about those PCs because you can easily prove they are licensed. Microsoft isn't going to challenge an OEM license on a Dell box anyways.

    Thanks guys...you all are invaluable...



  • @IRJ said:

    @garak0410 said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    This is how Dell specifically ships PCs.

    Good to know...never knew this...

    Yeah. Don't worry about those PCs because you can easily prove they are licensed. Microsoft isn't going to challenge an OEM license on a Dell box anyways.

    Yeah definitely not. That is a total "lose in court" situation. They would never take that risk as it would be you and Dell vs. MS. You are the end user, it would not be in MS' interest in any way to do that. Nor do they care. Obviously you paid.



  • And if you get one single volume license for Windows you can do your own imaging of all of those OEM machines too.



  • @garak0410 said:

    @IRJ said:

    @garak0410 said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    This is how Dell specifically ships PCs.

    Good to know...never knew this...

    Yeah. Don't worry about those PCs because you can easily prove they are licensed. Microsoft isn't going to challenge an OEM license on a Dell box anyways.

    Thanks guys...you all are invaluable...

    Hey, we're the MangoLassi Fruit Tarts! What else would you expect?! 🙂


Log in to reply