Cool New Features of iOS 8.1





    • Apple Pay (surprise, surprise)
    • Camera Roll is back
    • Big update to iCloud Photo Library
    • Better app handoff support
    • Phone calls via Yosemite-based Macs
    • Text messaging will tie to Macs too
    • Improved hot spot setup
    • Tap thrice to alter brightness


  • @Reid-Cooper said:

    • Apple Pay (surprise, surprise)
    • Camera Roll is back
    • Big update to iCloud Photo Library
    • Better app handoff support
    • Phone calls via Yosemite-based Macs
    • Text messaging will tie to Macs too
    • Improved hot spot setup
    • Tap thrice to alter brightness

    You mean they secured iCloud?



  • @thanksaj said:

    You mean they secured iCloud?

    There was never a security issue. At least none that was known. There's no need to be snarky.



  • Hacking someone's password is not the same as hacking a service. iCloud was not cracked, individual passwords were. Very, very different things.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    Hacking someone's password is not the same as hacking a service. iCloud was not cracked, individual passwords were. Very, very different things.

    So the hackers hacked each of those celebrity's individual accounts? I thought the vulnerability was on iCloud's end.



  • @thanksaj said:

    So the hackers hacked each of those celebrity's individual accounts? I thought the vulnerability was on iCloud's end.

    Yes, their individual passwords were compromised. They had all opted out of Apple's two factor authentication option. It was pure speculation that people blamed iCloud for the vulnerability. And once a rumour like that starts, people just keep repeating it.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksaj said:

    So the hackers hacked each of those celebrity's individual accounts? I thought the vulnerability was on iCloud's end.

    Yes, their individual passwords were compromised. They had all opted out of Apple's two factor authentication option. It was pure speculation that people blamed iCloud for the vulnerability. And once a rumour like that starts, people just keep repeating it.

    Ok, my mistake then.



  • So far my favorite is the Phone calls and messages to my Mac. Makes my day easier, well except that everything now makes noise at the same time, Mac, Phone and Ipad.



  • @Minion-Queen said:

    So far my favorite is the Phone calls and messages to my Mac. Makes my day easier, well except that everything now makes noise at the same time, Mac, Phone and Ipad.

    In all fairness, Google has had that for years. Every time someone calls my Google Voice number, it rings inside Gmail too, and it'd ring an Android tablet too. You can also replace your SMS client on your phone with Hangouts. Although Microsoft has been behind the 8-ball for years on integration across multiple platforms, Google lead the charge.



  • @thanksaj said:

    In all fairness, Google has had that for years. Every time someone calls my Google Voice number, it rings inside Gmail too, and it'd ring an Android tablet too. You can also replace your SMS client on your phone with Hangouts. Although Microsoft has been behind the 8-ball for years on integration across multiple platforms, Google lead the charge.

    This isn't VoIP, this is cell phone extension. Google was many years behind doing it with VoIP. It's the requiring Google Voice that makes it not exciting. We've had the same thing without Google voice on every platform, Apple, Windows, Google or otherwise, for a very, very long time.

    Google Voice is nice, but don't use it as a comparison here. Technically Apple could do what you are describing before Google made Android.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksaj said:

    In all fairness, Google has had that for years. Every time someone calls my Google Voice number, it rings inside Gmail too, and it'd ring an Android tablet too. You can also replace your SMS client on your phone with Hangouts. Although Microsoft has been behind the 8-ball for years on integration across multiple platforms, Google lead the charge.

    This isn't VoIP, this is cell phone extension. Google was many years behind doing it with VoIP. It's the requiring Google Voice that makes it not exciting. We've had the same thing without Google voice on every platform, Apple, Windows, Google or otherwise, for a very, very long time.

    Google Voice is nice, but don't use it as a comparison here. Technically Apple could do what you are describing before Google made Android.

    I never said it was VoIP. However, it's not a cellphone extension. You can use Google Voice completely without a cellphone.



  • @thanksaj said:

    I never said it was VoIP. However, it's not a cellphone extension. You can use Google Voice completely without a cellphone.

    I know but that's the key to why it is not comparable. What makes this special on iOS is that it IS a cell phone extension. Doing it like you are describing is not impressive and Google was not first. The discussion here was about iOS, first of all, and there is no reason to bring in the anti-Apple attitude. It doesn't help the discussion at all. And to say that "Google did it first" and then provide a completely different example of something Google did not do first and isn't the same thing that we are discussing (cell phone extensions) isn't applicable.

    Google wasn't first and, TTBOMK, still doesn't have this feature. The feature that Google does have, everyone has had for a very, very long time - even before there were smartphones on the market.



  • @thanksaj This is completely different. It is your CELL phone ringing and connecting with your other Apple devices. I can now answer my cell phone number on any Apple device or answer my text messages that way as well. It is nothing like google voice.

    I notice that anytime anyone brings up anything about Mac or IOS you automatically turn it into a how awesome Android is thread. Not to be too snarky but this makes me NEVER, ever want to even consider moving to Android. You over zealous devotion that is not rational in an way makes people hate the product. Your opinion might be valuable, but because of your crazy slamming of other platforms, you just piss people off. Remember that what someone uses as a cell phone or even desktop preference is for the most part an opinion. That doesn't make any one person right or wrong. Of course there are circumstances that do make something bad to use but an opinion is by definition just that an OPNION.



  • @TechieChick said:

    @thanksaj This is completely different. It is your CELL phone ringing and connecting with your other Apple devices. I can now answer my cell phone number on any Apple device or answer my text messages that way as well. It is nothing like google voice.

    I notice that anytime anyone brings up anything about Mac or IOS you automatically turn it into a how awesome Android is thread. Not to be too snarky but this makes me NEVER, ever want to even consider moving to Android. You over zealous devotion that is not rational in an way makes people hate the product. Your opinion might be valuable, but because of your crazy slamming of other platforms, you just piss people off. Remember that what someone uses as a cell phone or even desktop preference is for the most part an opinion. That doesn't make any one person right or wrong. Of course there are circumstances that do make something bad to use but an opinion is by definition just that an OPNION.

    Whoa...I wasn't bashing Apple (at least this time). All I did was say Google had it for years, which I guess this is an apples-to-oranges thing (pun intended). Easy there...



  • @thanksaj said:

    Whoa...I wasn't bashing Apple (at least this time). All I did was say Google had it for years, which I guess this is an apples-to-oranges thing (pun intended). Easy there...

    Yes, you were (again). And the point we are making is that you are (again) wrong.

    I love Google Voice. I have used it since before it was Google Voice in fact. I was a user of GrandCentral. Google Voice was a forwarding service, nothing more and nothing less. Then they added a click to call functionality and gave API access to that function. People in the Asterisk community then turned that into a pseudo SIP trunk.

    Next Google changed the service a bit more and true calling could be initiated through the API with the XMP (i think) protocols.

    But at the core, Google Voice is still a forwarding service. You acquire the number and then tell the service what phones to ring. When a phone is answered, the call is bridged to that line. This is basically a Asterisk ring group.

    This is not anything at all like hand off, nor is it something Google has had for years as it is 100% not even close. It is a completely different service.



  • @Minion-Queen said:

    So far my favorite is the Phone calls and messages to my Mac. Makes my day easier, well except that everything now makes noise at the same time, Mac, Phone and Ipad.

    $deity protect us if my phone and my wife's phone ring at the same time. My phone turns into phone + ipad4 + mbp. My wife's phone turns into phone + ipad2.

    I think Apple really needs to allow some more fine grained controls for htis feature, but I do over all love it.



  • Yes more controls on what rings etc. would be nice. But it does allow me to just grab stuff so that does help me a bit.



  • I really like the double-tap to lower the screen to make it possible to hit the top without using two hands. I am also enjoying the word prompts that speed up all my text entries.



  • @dengelhardt said:

    I really like the double-tap to lower the screen to make it possible to hit the top without using two hands. I am also enjoying the word prompts that speed up all my text entries.

    The double tap sounds cool for larger displays..



  • It does work great. I have small hands and love that I can do that and have the bigger phone.